What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

WFD: Maundy Thursday ~ Garlic and Paprika Rubbed Roast Chicken, from “Jewish Home Cooking” by Arthur Schwartz, whose birthday is today, coincedently. It’s a simple preparation: a mixture of pressed garlic, sweet Hungarian paprika, S & P, and oil. I’m using olive oil. The chicken pieces are massaged with the rub then roasted.
~ Escarole, Radicchio, and Fennel Salad: minced anchovy fillets; minced garlic; white wine vinegar,; hazelnut oil; shredded escarole and radicchio; parsley; S & P.
~ Pitta bread. Red wine.

4 Likes

Working 6-10 PM tonight, so I’ll either eat super-early or super-late. Still got a bag of mixed lettuce in the fridge and will pick up some more salad fixins. Maybe some chicken breast on the side.

My meals in the next few weeks won’t be very interesting, as I need to drop some poundage. The eternal spring ritual. Ha.

Best laid plans and all that…what I had planned for tonight’s dinner got tossed aside because I left work late, had to go to the stupidmarket for a few staples, got home later than I had hoped, and ultimately, I just didn’t want to deal with mucking about with it. It’ll be moved to Saturday.

I had picked up a package of center-cut pork chops, and that became dinner. Seared the chops after seasoning with salt, pepper, and ground sumac. Added a sploosh of wine to the pan, then poured over a half cup of spicy mango-plum sauce I had in the freezer. Covered, simmered until done.

Roasty-toasty Yukon Gold potatoes with Herbes de Provence, and steamed broccoli.

There was wine. Because today is my Friday. And because I’ll need the fortification for doing my taxes tomorrow.

3 Likes

For the first day of Purim I went with something rich and sweet. A beef stew with aromatics, sweet potato and dates. Wifey was working late so this was a time forgiving meal

5 Likes

That looks and sounds wonderful. Are you Jewish?

Yup

Couldn’t tell from the crab cakes, shrimp and scallop dishes😱

4 Likes

I love getting ‘little’ snippets of info about people here.

Haven’t had fish in a while . So I decided to stop in at our local monger . I picked up a piece of king salmon from Canada . $33.00 a pound . Got a nice piece a little over a half lb. with some nice belly fat . Pan sauté . Opened a can of cannellini beans . Added a small piece of garlic , some bay from my yard , with a small handful of cherry tomatoes halved . Also frozen peas cooked in butter .

5 Likes

My poor man has some sort of stomach bug, so he’s spent most of today in bed / on the couch. Just a little chicken broth for him :frowning:

I came home positively starvated & made myself a mixed salad topped with pan-seared chicken tenders tossed with cayenne, paprika & salt. 'twas good.

6 Likes

We’re having fish tonight - not for any reasons of religious faith/customs, just because the cod best fitted into the meal planning for tonight.

I claim no credit for this forthcoming meal, except for setting the table and stacking the dishwasher. Mrs H tells me it’s oat crusted cod - something she’s done before. It’s erm, cod with an oat crust, cooked in the oven. New potatoes as the carb (but no sign of Jersey Royals yet). Mangetout as part of the five a day.

There’s Wookey Hole cheddar for afters.

It’s a bright spring morning in northwest England. I’m going to potter round the garden for a couple of hours. Have a good Good Friday, y’all.

6 Likes

I think I may give this one a whirl. I’ve been eyeing up some pate recipes.Did you use the cognac/brandy or not? I don’t have any but if you think it makes a difference, I will get some.

An atheist who eats fish most fridays and saturdays simply because there are a market on those days at 2 different locations to buy (whole) fish.

Seared wild salmon. It started to rain so I had to hurry up and forgot to ask the fishmonger where exactly the fish came from. It looks and tastes like Sockeye to me. (photos later)

5 Likes

I omitted the brandy/cognac myself for the same reason and it was still scrumptious. I just wish i had made a double batch! Definitely taste and adjust for salt once everything is coming together, and the lentils should be on the verge of overcooked so they smooth out well.

Last night was out with a friend for wine and chitchat, i went with lambrusco because when i see it i order it, we shared some rosemary citrus marinated olives and i was thrilled with a proper delicious creative veg dish, “Cauliflower Grenobloise: roasted cauliflower, lemon, breadcrumb, green herb caper dressing”, which was also a very generous portion. I’m already planning to try and remake it at home

I was hungry again late and made a savory greek yogurt bowl with shredded cucumber and carrots, green onion, cilantro, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce.

3 Likes

Perfect! Thanks for the tips! I just picked up some lentils and am going to fire things up.

1 Like

Do you have Total Wines or some equivalent where you live? You can get airline-sized bottles of liquor there. Perfect for a single recipe usually.

SMDD, tho I get to have dinner before work today. My man’s still down with the crud; more broth and maybe some rice or orzo for him.

Have a Good Friday & may the Easter Bunny bring you many, many eggs – chocolate, deviled, fried…

'-D

2 Likes

I made it Sichuan-esque, but ate boiled potatoes with it.

Probably Sockeye. Fishmonger said “red salmon”, which is indeed Sockeye. Wild salmon is rare here, wild Sockeye is even more so and is imported. Be glad, you people on the other continent, don’t pay through the nose for it!

5 Likes

My husband and I must be the only people on the Left Coast who don’t like salmon. If served it, we don’t spit it out but we just would rather have almost anything else.

And I’m one of those who don’t like fresh water fish.

1 Like