What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

It’s the gift that keeps on giving… I’ve had a several yummy bao, and there’s still some pork left in the freezer! (Buns were pretty easy too.)

15 Likes

Oh yeah… that reminds me. I didn’t cook tonight, but our leftovers were Cinco de Mayo-ish.

Last of the Seafood Salad w/a Nice, Creamy Fuerte Avocado, Salsa & Tortilla Chips

Repeat…

10 Likes

Nice lookin’ meals! The sear on those scallops!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about scallops for days now and your picture pushed me over the edge. I’ve never dried brined mine but it sounds like a great way to prep them. Would you mind sharing your process? Thx.

2 Likes

Assuming you drove, when I-95 was one and the same as the I-495/Washington DC beltway, when you passed US Route 50 I was about half an hour east of you. Had I known we could have coordinated waving at each other. grin

Definitely would have waved, but I’m not sure we were anywhere that far north between Asheville and Carolina beach!

Oops. I had you North of me. I need to start keeping notes.

1 Like

This was not the best catch of wild sea bass. However, the wild oysters were heaven on earth. With wild finned fish; I prefer wild cod and wild salmon.

1 Like

Why does that tortilla look so appealing? Is it homemade? Warmed up in a hot buttered pan?

1 Like

I don’t know that it made much difference, but I sprinkled salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika, then left in the fridge until dinner.

Pat dry before cooking.

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Looks very nice.

1 Like

Your seafood salad looks like paradise to me. Only I can’t understand your use of “ceviche” to describe it. Was there any raw component? I’d love the recipe, even if it’s just a quick paraphrase describing how you threw it together.

2 Likes

Here are 2 distinctly different Valencian - Alicantine Paellas with 2 different types of rice that we had eaten last summer during a photo shoot.

7 Likes

Thanks @Sasha!

There’s a salsa vendor at our local farmers market that also sells seafood salads and a shrimp ceviche. The ceviche is uncooked but not exactly raw because it’s been sitting in lime juice (on ice, of course). Anyway, I drained some of the juice off and mixed it with the seafood salad, cooked some wild shrimp & lobster meat I already had then added a little salsa, extra seasoning & mayo (because I’m a mayo junky). If you’re serving it right away it’s great with avocado on top. We eat it with chips. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mashup! Sounds tasty. I’m not sure about salsa with mayo. But a definite maybe. And everything else sounds sublime. I don’t eat nearly as much seafood as I’d like.

1 Like

Haha, yeah, it wasn’t the salsa in the photo I posted - it was a chunkier one I used to add tomatoes, cilantro, onions, etc. I was so not feeling chopping & cooking that day… mashup. :wink:

1 Like

Just an FYI for all…I suggested to the Mods that they break out the “making of paella at home” to its own thread to get a wider audience participation. That new thread is here:

6 Likes

I made arroz con pollo, inspired by recent posts here about that dish as well as paella. I followed the instructions from the paella video I shared in the other thread, but using Latin American(ish) ingredients. It turned out really well - I would be more precise/cut back on the broth a little next time. Could have been more al dente. But managed a soccarat and DH had thirds :grin: Green salad with homegrown lettuce and Kumatoes.

16 Likes

We had a long string of meat dinners, so I went with minestrone today. And a chocolate babka. Inspired by the GBBS. I really wanted to love it, and the dough was quite nice. But the chocolate completely oozed out as I rolled it, so there was practically none in the interior of the bread. I don’t know if this is me messing it up or a commonplace result.

13 Likes