What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Okay; wait. What do we have here? Do I see peas and rice (yes; “peas and rice”) with pigeon peas? Swoon!

I don’t know why so many recipes insist on using “beans”.

3 Likes

Simple but tasty dinner last night.

10 Likes

Yup! Pigeon peas! My BF is Puerto Rican so these have been a life-long staple. I never had one before I met him. I love the combination. Sometimes we’ll even add ham but wanted to behave this time.

5 Likes

15 Likes

Funny about climates. My snap pea plants are about 7" tall at best right now. I’m not expected to get peas from them for probably 6 wks at least. Jealous of your fish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Steak fajitas on salad with a side of frico chips for Cinco de Mayo!

5 Likes

I’m in chicken mode.
Which is OK because I like chicken.
So despite having made chicken this weekend…I made it again.

One Frankenchicken breast was drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Penzeys Sslt-Free Mural of Flavor and some salt and pepper. A contradiction in timers, I know. I don’t care. Into a 425° oven to roast for about 40-45 minutes, drizzling a couple of times with the oil from the pan.

Sides were steamed asparagus and leftover Rice Pilaf.

15 Likes

More Tex-Mex than Mexican food, but chicken fajitas for Cinco de Mayo. Topped with a dollop of cilantro-lime crema.

To drink was an experimental Tequila Martini: Tequila Partida, Dolin Vermouth blanc, lemon juice, and orange bitters. Not bad but would probably not make again. It needed to be a tad sweeter, which is saying something because I do not normally go for sweet cocktails.

14 Likes

So funny. Our non-cooking this last trip would have so disappointed you!

1 Like

Tonight I baked mini manicotti with mushrooms and marinara before kiddie soccer, and my DH steamed and sauteed some Brussels when we got home.

11 Likes

Speaking of, we went camping over a long weekend at the Carolina coast and cooked just a handful of dinners. Chili mac can barely be called cooking as it was just heating up purchased gourmet chili and pedestrian refrigerated mac, and steaming asparagus. Still tasty.

Another dinner was grilled bbq pork tenderloin, sauteed zucchini noodles, and kale salad with maple balsamic vinaigrette, dried cherries, carrots, apples, and cashews.

Lastly, grilled “Carolina” pork brats with baked beans and green salad with honey-Dijon and herbes d’ Provence vinaigrette.

We had oatmeal, fruit, and yogurt or egg whites with spinach for breakfasts. All our other meals Thurs.-Tue. were eaten out (felt like a real vacation!). We went to the same seafood joint 3x!:grin:

16 Likes

The best laid plans etc. I was planning on tamales for Cinco de Mayo but the tamal lady was not at the farmer’s market. Plan B, stuffed poblano pepper, same recipe I use for albondigas meat balls except instead of rice I used cotija cheese. Sides were cauli Mexican rice, black beans, cabbage and jicama slaw. There were several margarita-ish cocktails.

IMG_3025

16 Likes

My first paella. Was I amazed at the flavors. Sure . Did I like the procedures . Absolutely . Had to spin the pan during cooking on my electric cooktop . No worries. Figured I was going to have to add more water during cooking
I liked Helina Sanchez on you tube as a guideline
Will i make this again
Absolutely. Could be seafood.
Shot of the socarrant included. This,is tough when your whole pan needs to cook evenly. Though very good . Cheers.

16 Likes

Semi-homemade Weekend

We had the kids & grands over the weekend and wanted to spend more time outdoors running after rambunctious, little, boy toddlers than in the kitchen. We’re still recovering. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Apparently, we’re not as young as we think we look.

I got almost everything at the Farmers Market…

Harry’s Berries’ Salsa

Super hot, bright, fresh & super delicious. :heart:

I Cooked Wild Mexican Shrimp & Frozen Lobster Meat & added to Pre-made “Crab” Salad & Shrimp Ceviche, Mayo, Lime, Salsa, Seasoning

A surprisingly big hit.

Pita Chips

A quickie version of Cousin Lori’s Potato Salad

Quickie because I chopped instead of grating the eggs & onions. I also could’ve boiled the eggs & potatoes a little less, but it was still delicious. I :heart: this recipe. It’s practically an egg salad with potatoes added.

Bought a Slab of Ribs & Bourbon Baked Beans (added a can of Heinz Beans to stretch them) from Black Cat BBQ. Not bad for Farmers Market Cue

But of course…

Berries, Berries, Berries!

With melty McConnell’s Sweat Cream Ice Cream

The Cookie

Yes, I have a cookie named after me. Not! This is Bristol Farms’ BIG, chewy, gooey, chocolatey masterpiece that actually has a guaranteed hot outta the oven stamp on the bag! :cookie::two_hearts:

Great weekend!

22 Likes

American tacos :taco::taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:

18 Likes

Have I said this before? I :heart: your reports.

2 Likes

I must try! :yum:

1 Like

Okay, I gotta ask; having a cookie named after you is sweet, but does McConnell have an ice cream named after his sweat? That’s a bold move! :blush:

Definitely going to try that pork belly when I’m cooking just for me.

7 Likes

Funny!!! Too late to change it now!

1 Like

Lots of meals, lazy posting.

Tonight’s dinner made me very happy. Pan-seared dry scallops (dry brined). Warm corn sauteed in butter with red onion, tarragon, and thyme and finished with sour cream, cilantro, mint, scallions, crunchy bacon bits, and scallop juices. Leftover garlic green beans from yesterday rounded out the meal.

Yesterday was Asian. Japchae and spicy rice cakes by kid request. Ginger scallion beef. Garlic broccoli. Seared green beans. Sesame tofu. Shiitake mushrooms and black fungus.

Other recent meals:
My dad’s chicken soup, lightly spiced, and reminiscent of home. Vegetables added: potato, cauliflower, green beans, peas.

Sous vide 60h chuck roast. Sides of scalloped potatoes (my aunt’s method) and sautéed spinach. The beef was just lovely. And I love those potatoes! Rosemary from the garden in the potatoes and the gravy. We started with heirloom tomato caprese - first delectable tomato of the year. Basil from the garden.

Indian day before. Chicken curry, cauliflower, paneer makhani, and dal.

Sweet corn tamales a la Ottolenghi (why, I asked myself before and after). I think they would have been fine if I hadn’t been engrossed on the phone and added twice the masa. But still, not bad for a first try.

———

No pics:

Weekend - Burgers at home to open the grill after many months of yard construction. Fries and onion rings from frozen in the air fryer: fries meh, onion rings excellent. Started with wild boar sausage and other charcuterie from the fancy butcher (& seafood) shop.

Also weekend - Lovely, fresh shellfish (same shop) in a simple pasta prep - dry scallops and jumbo shrimp, sautéed with garlic and olive oil, and finished with butter and pepper. Spaghetti added in absorbed the juices.

18 Likes