What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Thank you.

Best wishes to you too.

Thank you very much,
Have a lovely Sunday.

1 Like

That chicken looks amazing! Could you please reshare the marinade recipe?

1 Like
6 Likes

Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself with my recent GI issues, I opted for a “boring” dinner last night of steamed chicken and broccoli.

No pics.

To drink was the last of my Duke Bourbon, which I love dearly. And since the BF was already in bed because of our conflicting schedules, that meant I got to watch an accompanying John Wayne movie with my John Wayne whiskey. That’s as rare as an eclipse. How this NJ liberal became a JW fan is a long story which I might tell another time! Cheers!

I have a defrosted NY Strip marinating in the fridge right now. I have not had red meat in three weeks and am hoping to stomach it tonight!

14 Likes

FYI

5 Likes

A craving for something from the Wayback Machine hit me yesterday as I was shopping for what to cook for dinner last night, and that craving won out for tonight…Sloppy Joe’s. Or a form thereof.

So that’s WWFD tonight…about 3/4 lb. ground beef and a link of sweet Italian sausage squozen out of its casing (yes, I know it’s not traditional) was sauteed with diced onion and red bell pepper and drained. Added back to the saute pan and stirred in one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 2 Tbsp of BBQ sauce, 1 Tbsp of tomato paste, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tsp dry ground mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper.

Stirred it all together and let it simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Served it on a lightly toasted Brioche bun, with deviled eggs and a potato salad with minced celery and chopped egg and a honey-mustard-tarragon dressing alongside.

And wine. Overall, not bad.

17 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. Below is a link to details and pictures for those that might be interested.

3 Likes

Holy cow. You know my taco bell supreme night with the spice packet and their shells . Yes the way back machine. It’s so good.

3 Likes

Freezer dive NY Strip (cast iron sear; soy sauce, olive oil, dry vermouth, Montreal steak seasoning marinade) over Trader Joe’s asparagus risotto. Can hardly call this cooking. While I enjoyed the flavor of the risotto, it was a little too “loose” and I needed to add a decent amount of Pecorino Romano for flavor, salt content, and solidity. It certainly helped. I’ve never done a frozen rice before and I guess I would do this again-- I have a bag of their mushroom risotto in the freezer from a recent visit last week.

To drink: Chopin vodka on the rocks.

14 Likes

Chairman Mao’s red braised pork belly tonight, from Woks of Life. I believe it was @Saregama that posted this recently? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It was fabulous. Tho I’d add more chilies next time. And I’d definitely make the full recipe next time. I only bought 1 lb of pork belly so I had to cut the recipe in half.

Broccolii rabe with sesame & chili oils, and smoked shoyu on the side. The bitterness worked well with the sweetness of the pork.

15 Likes

Sat we had a pretty heavy burger and fry takeout lunch, so dinner was light. A savory clafoutis with onion, asparagus from the garden, and cheese. 1/2 goat, 1/2 parm. Parm clearly browns much faster! Served with garden grown arugula on the side. Not shown. Neither of the kiddos was down with it. They said it was too bitter/sharp on its own. Too bad my lettuce seeds didn’t sprout this year!

13 Likes

I adore sloppy joes. No one in my family understands why. My school lunches growing up were actually quite good for the most part, and it was during those years I was introduced to the sloppy joe. Good stuff!

3 Likes

Right? It’s definitely a high school lunch meal. I always avoided American Chop Suey…I had 7th period lunch in my senior year and the elbow noodles had soaked up so much sauce they were mushy and as big as my thumb…or so it seemed! But Sloppy Joes would almost always have me go through the lunch line.

1 Like

Had some family over for dinner after a long hiatus. The Menu included:

Apps: Italian egg-rolls - charcuterie platter - fresh mozzarella - garlic bread - lobster ravioli in vodka sauce

Entree: shrimp scampi

Side: broccoli rabe’

Cappuccino and espresso

Delicious and good to be able to entertain loved ones again!

21 Likes

The nonvegetarian version of what I recommended to emglow for her special veg dinner. Summer rolls. Shaved steak, bean curd noodles, peppers, carrots, bean sprouts, daikon, mint, thai basil, chives, cilantro, and fish sauce and oyster sauce for dippers. Sriracha for the H. Everybody rolls!

14 Likes

It was a private school and no one brought lunch. We had lunch ladies who brought out dishes family style to our tables - each table had a teacher at it. Jr high rather than high school. No chaperones by 9th. As a Russian kid, all the foods were foreign to me and nothing I ate at home. I most fondly remember the SJs, the chicken a la king, and the hot ham and cheese sandwiches!

6 Likes

May Day dinner:

Inspired by this book:

Tonight’s dinner: lemony fettuccine with greens and Italian sausage.

14 Likes

Penne, sautéed chicken, spinach, and Trader Joe’s creamy tomato basil pasta sauce. While I did add some garlic, onion, and crushed red pepper, I must declare that to be one of the most flavorful jar sauces I’ve ever had. Good texture too.

Usually I have a dry Monday but felt like a G & T. Beefeater Gin and White Rock Premium Indian Tonic.

15 Likes

Desayuno para la cena - beans, tortillas, Mexican rice, scrambled eggs.

15 Likes