What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Salad of red leaf lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, chopped English cuke, sliced/quartered radishes, Sweetie teeny baby tomatoes, pancetta, crumbled goat cheese, and dried cranberries, drizzled with my Maple-Balsamic vinaigrette (after the pic was taken because it makes the salad look muddy).

19 Likes

Well, except for the Giants coffee mug (sorry…I’m a lurker on WFD so I feel like I should be more polite…but that goes against every bone in my body). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Haha, that’s why I should never post without sleep!

1 Like

Well-played, @digga. :grinning:

2 Likes

Quick and surprisingly tasty tacos using beer-battered fish filets. CSA kale salad with citronette.

15 Likes

Tonight was the night of tasty leftover remakes.

The dal from the other night turned into a comfort favorite - dal dhokli. A really bad description would be pasta in soup. What it is, is spiced chapatis that are cut up and stewed until just-cooked in thin dal.

The cauliflower and green beans from the other night became a street food dish that I’ve been craving for ages - Pav bhaji: literally “bread and vegetable.” Basically mashed up vegetables with potato, highly spiced, and eaten with buttery griddled bread.

That gave me an excuse to experiment with brioche, which I had not done yet in all the bread baking. No-knead brioche and the last brioche burger bun floating in the fridge were the bread component.

20 Likes

Easy Peasy Night… Leftover Spaghetti into Casserole

Topped w/Robusto & Creamy Herb Cheese leftover from stuffing the Squash Blossoms.

Topped w/Batter Fried Baby Zucchini

Needed to cook the zucchini and since they were attached to the blossoms I had fried the other day I decided to do them the same way. They added tasty texture. :heart:

Garlic Toast

Red Oak Leaf Lettuce, Romaine, Heirloom Tomatoes, TJs Balsamic Vinaigrette

There was wine. :wine_glass:

15 Likes

It all looks and sounds so good!

1 Like

Good ‘cause that’s a lot you do. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

gnoccipotatolfour187292259_10216498230802935_4670514293509238834_n

9 Likes

Do you know what the bread for pav bhai is called? I want to like pav bhaji, but every place I’ve ever had it uses grocery store hamburger buns and that ruins it for me. I imagine it’s something better in India, or at least it was traditionally.

1 Like

I could be way off base but I thought I read an article (that I can’t find now) about Portuguese/Spanish influence on breads around the world including pav. I don’t have much experience with pav bhaji but what I have had was somewhat similar to pandesal or King’s Hawaiian or even pull apart dinner rolls. The latter two would be consistent with my hazy understanding of its origins so maybe those would be decent alternatives…?

2 Likes

Grabbed a couple of American Wagyu T-bones for me and the boy, halibut for the Mrs. Both served with a garlic butter over a bed of broccoli rabe with a few grilled shrimp topping them off. (Son wanted Mac n cheese so I bought some pre/made)

There are two foods that say summer for me;
1.) corn on the cob (I’ve had it already this spring) :heavy_check_mark:
2.) watermelon :heavy_check_mark:

Let’s gooooooo summer!!!

15 Likes

My version of accommodating preferences: “Here’s rice and things. Figure it out.”

Potato salad is without mayo. Currently experimenting to learn the role of each component. My current potato salad tastes great and is always the first item to go (thanks @mariacarmen), but I need to fine tune it so the potato isn’t a background flavor. (Or maybe that’s what it’s supposed to be.) They are currently eating it and don’t even realize there’s no mayo. Very interesting.

13 Likes

Another fabulous spread . Cheers .

2 Likes

9 hour slow cooker corned beef - easy recipe.

12 Likes

so what did you use in place of the mayo?

my actual favorite potato salad (when not eating the BF’s) is one of just boiled potatoes in evoo while still warm, then tossed with copious amounts of minced shallot, fresh thyme, and s&p. you can definitely taste the potato in that one.

5 Likes

I was going to cook but was too busy at work. So I asked the BF to make Woks of Life’s Thai-Style Chicken Mushroom & Basil but with the ground pork we had, and also to sub in asparagus for the green beans and add both thai basil and mint. I would have chopped the shrooms larger, and added more chili and asparagus, but it turned out delicious, even with all my micro-managing. still don’t know how or why he puts up with me. :grin:

15 Likes

Adopt me? I’m neat, do dishes, and compliment food galore :grin:

1 Like

Camping with very limited accommodations tonight. We grilled teriyaki pork tenderloin, asparagus, and hakurei turnips and greens tossed with miso butter, with green salad with red wine vinaigrette on the side. Ugly plate but our laps were serving as tables, so it was a quick affair. Yum! On to Charleston tomorrow.

16 Likes