What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Between you and @ChristinaM I’m going to have to give in and make arroz con pollo one of these days… :joy:

4 Likes

Can you remind me please; I am re-watching tonight’s Top Chef, and can’t/won’t look it up. What is BISO?

Ess - A - Bagel from New York. First time tasting. . Beautiful afternoon.
Razor clams from Seaside Oregon. Chopped .Mixed together with chopped prawn .crushed saltine , shallot. Sauteed in butter . Tartar sauce on the side…For dinner.
I’m doing back flips on how good these were. Old school taste with little seasoning.

21 Likes

A delayed Mother’s Day Dinner. The Sprout planned on making dinner Sunday but we ended up having company so it got rescheduled. Shakshuka is one of my favorite things and it turns out The Sprout makes an excellent version. Homemade pitas on the side.

19 Likes

That’s one gorgeous plate. Looks like the Mother’s Day celebratory meal was well worth the wait!

2 Likes

intrigued by the muffaletta topping on the fish. can you describe it? thanks.

2 Likes

bone in skin on

3 Likes

Absolutely worth the wait!

2 Likes

You pivot VERY nicely! That meal looks great! I hope you enjoyed the big-ass glass of wine last night. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s Bone In, Skin On. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the homemade pita! Yum!

1 Like

Do you have a cape under your clothes?!!

4 Likes

Oysters from a Dear friend and seabass with chirlas (small clams).

18 Likes

It’s a vodka and Popeyes fried chicken kinda night. Homemade spicy Mayo, I’m not a savage!! (somehow my wife knew they had beignets which is the only reason why my request for dinner was granted) Wife’s chicken tenders were good as were the two sides consisting of coleslaw and red beans and rice. Beignets were “ok” lol Don’t judge me!! Cheers all!!

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time that sentence has been written in internet history.

11 Likes

French flageolet beans using beans from Rancho Gordo, with some merguez sausage patties and gremolata.

And :wine_glass:

19 Likes

Go for it! Such a simple and comforting dish.

1 Like

Next in our soft food series was a surprise entrant: khichda / haleem.

It’s an indian porridge-type dish that’s typically slow-cooked overnight and quite involved because of the grains and lentils involved, plus lamb / goat stewing.

I used barley, cracked wheat, yellow moong and red masoor dals (skipped chana and urad dals because they are hard to digest and I wanted a lighter dish).

Lots of caramelized onions, ginger and garlic, plus whole garam masala. Added frozen lamb “stock” - sous vide liquid that I save in the freezer. Pressure cooked until everything got nice and soft, then added leftover cooked lamb from the other day and let it come together.

Served with more caramelized onions, mint, cilantro, and lime. I love the barley in this version, and also that I left a bit of texture in (it’s usually mashed/pureed).

Supposed to taste better the next day - there’s a whole container left.

19 Likes

No, you sir are a man of culture. Great idea!

2 Likes

Do you always add barley? Sounds texturally exciting to me. I’m also not a fan of baby-food style haleem.