What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Or just like-minded geniuses!

I am in California , so I’m still dreaming here. The plan was for the Milk Street recipe for piri piri chicken.

It suggests you not substitute for the fresh fresno chilis, but it’s April, and there are no ripe Fresnos to be found. Even here in No Cal they can be hard to find when you want them, which is why I grow and pickle them. I’m going to try the pickled ones.

The spice mix is salt, sugar, cumin, coriander, “New Mex” or “California” chili powder, and sweet paprika.

The “sauce” is sugar, fresno chilis (8!), red wine vinegar, garlic , and lemon juice.

Since I’m using pickled fresnos, I might skip the 1/4 cup vi egar, and or 1/3 cup lemon juice in the “sauce”.

6 Likes

What recipe do you use for that beautiful loaf?

1 Like
3 Likes

Tonight rib eye steak dusted with Tabil . North African spice I ordered. Served with salad and beans . Started sous vide with slab bacon . 24 hours at 150 degrees
That’s for tomorrow
When your in the mood for buy it now . Paella pan and rice. 20210429_182543|393x700

5 Likes

I’ll spare you all the details, but I’m back…I think! Oh it’s been weeks since I felt this good.

Anyway, a pre-dinner martini while enjoying the summer-like weather. Roku Gin, olive brine, Dolin, and a twist. The best of all worlds. I had a “few” as I celebrate rejoining the land of the living. I hope it’s for good this time.

To eat: We had a delicious dinner, as always, from our favorite Indian restaurant via DoorDash. Pictured here is my Chicken Tikka Masala with Navrattan Korma. BF had Chicken Kashmiri, while my mom joined us and had Chicken Makhni. There was also Basmati Rice, naan, and roti. As someone who has had to eat very plain for the last week-plus, this was a welcome burst of flavor. I devoured it with reckless abandon.

17 Likes

this made my heart swoon, all of it.

although i paused at the thought of the olives & pimentos in the whisky sour. :grinning:

1 Like

I asked and received - BF made kofte dinner, with hummus, puris, and two Lebanese salads (the cuke one with had his own zaatar, both had a little sumac, the tomato had a little mint in it). His puris didn’t puff as much as he would have liked, but they were beautifully delicious orbs. Kofte had a good crust but were still juicy inside.

14 Likes

glad you’re back! did you have a relapse? if you don’t want to share the dirty details, obvs, you don’t have to… dinner looks luscious, as always.

2 Likes

Simply pan-fried sea bass, roasted Brussels sprouts, and risotto from the freezer - refreshed and newly truffled.

One kid is not a risotto fan, so he had capellini cacio e pepe.

9 Likes

I guess you could call it a relapse, yes. It was a difficult week to follow. Difficult and BORING. A very plain diet, no cocktails, etc.

It’s been a weird two weeks. When I last posted, I felt “good” but not “normal”. I now feel “normal”.

10 Likes

BBuy it now . Was in the mood .

12 Likes

i’ve got some! been thinking of making paella for a while now…

2 Likes

I know . Must have been the Iranian saffron I ordered. When I used it in the mussels and clam dish last week it had a honey kind of fragrance to it . Got a couple grams off Amazon. I will try the Spanish on the next go around. I’ll order it for the paella . For now I’ll start with these .

11 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better!

1 Like

:joy: that would be an interesting drink! Probably would work better in a martini though. Those bottled veg were for tonight’s dinner, arroz con pollo:

12 Likes

My go-to non sourdough artisanal is based on Ken Forkish’s overnight white. So its 1000g AP flour, 780g warm water, 4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp yeast. I generally half it for one loaf. The process is autolyse the flour and water and let sit about 20 min, then sprinkle the salt and yeast over and work it in using folds and pincer for about 5 min. Then I let it rest for 30, covered, and do a fold and two more each next 30 min. Cover and put it away overnight. Typically don’t touch it again for another 13-16 hrs. When I do, I shape it, proof it for about 75min, then into a preheated steel pot, covered, at 475 for 30 and uncovered for 20-25 more. I.e. the process is more complicated than the ingredients, but with practice, it begins to feel very natural.

5 Likes

Echoing @jiaozi, there’s always some risk but parasites die in stuff like tuna that gets flash frozen on the ship. Cooking well done is the only way to be more sure but if you’re buying from a reputable source, it should be fine. (Not a doctor)

1 Like

Glad you are back, hope you stay well…

1 Like

Kobe-style American Boneless Ribeye, Potatoes au Gratin & 2 Omega-3 Vitamins :relaxed:

Seasoned w/Salt & Seared in the CI, finished w/Maldon Smoked Salt, Cracked Black Pepper & a Pan Sauce of Drippings, Worcestershire Sauce & Red Balsamic Vinegar.

I bought a bunch of these steaks at a Cruiseline Warehouse Sale and am sooo going to miss them when they’re gone - beefy, juicy, tender, buttery, yum.

Idahos, Cream, Nutmeg, Thyme, Chives, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Sharp White Cheddar & Robusto Cheese

We did have a salad too…

Bibb Lettuce, Avocado, Cara Cara Oranges, Baby Bell Peppers, Purple Haze Goat Cheese, Pistachios, w/Mustard, Sweet White Balsamic Vinaigrette

We also had a Kermit Lynch Côtes du Rhône Red, which was a good value, price-wise, but I thought the taste was just okay.

Dessert…

Harry’s Berries Gaviota & Mara des Bois Strawberries w/Cream (as if we hadn’t had enough) and a dusting of Organic Cane Sugar… a few more weeks and these little bursts of strawberry goodness will be in full-season and won’t need any sugar at all. :strawberry::two_hearts:

This steak dinner was supposed to be our last hurrah before trimming the fat, eating more seafood and vegging out. But! the tip from a few of you Onions to add Hoisin to meatloaf glaze piqued my interest, especially since I had all the ingredients for… ”The Very Best Glazed Meatloaf”

Beef, Pork, Sautéed Onions & Garlic, Eggs, Milk, Worcestershire Sauce, Hot Sauce, Fresh Thyme, Italian Breadcrumbs, Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Glaze: Ketchup, Tomato Paste, Brown Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar and the noted Hoisin + Red Chili Sauce. Also, Sautéed Swiss Chard, Mushroom Medley & Mashed Potatoes w/the PSTOB

One of my best friends and hair stylist makes this incredibly delicious meatloaf. A few years ago he & his partner decided to pack up and move permanently out-of-state. After I finished screeching and flailing about (jk… kinda) at the thought of him moving I made him swear to give me my hair color recipe and his meatloaf recipe! :grin: The ingredients & proportions are very good, but what I think gives this meatloaf the nice, crispy, caramelized outside and oh so moist inside is a few simple things - milk, yes, but also it’s baked on a sheet pan not in a loaf pan or Pyrex… and there’s the basting of that glaze! Now even better with the Hoisin & Chili Sauce. :yum:

Yes! There were Meatloaf Sandwiches the next day!

20 Likes