What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

“a bit more butter”? I was expecting the PSTOB!

2 Likes

hah! wife’s no dummy.

Our rule for years was the cook cleans his/her own mess, because we both cook often enough. lately though, we’ve both been cleaning up together, no matter who cooks.

re lettuce under the potato/chicken salads: BF worked at a buffet restaurant many, many eons ago. he fancy.

1 Like

oh that pork belly! going to have to look this up.

2 Likes

I’m coming 'round again after taking a little time to lick my wounds about the WFD meta thread. I felt a little jumped-on, but I understand that it was all in the spirit of inclusivity and enlarging the tent, and so I’m ok with it. And I miss this community.

I don’t have terribly much to report on in terms of recent meals. I corned a beef, which was delightful. The lentils I cooked in the broth after to make a soup were salty beyond measure, so that was a huge fail! Lots of bread baking, and using sourdough discard for pizza crusts is turning out to be fantastic.

I’m inspired by the various sushi/sashimi pix above, and have a question for you guys. A couple of months ago, I bought frozen tuna steak pieces from a reputable Asian grocery. But they weren’t labeled sashimi or sushi grade. They look pristine. Can we eat them raw without getting sick? And if not (parasites?), will turning it into ceviche cure the problem? Otherwise, I’ll just sear maybe with a sesame crust. Thank you and looking forward to the daily check-ins again.

12 Likes

Leftover lamb rogan josh and a bit of okra, supplemented by fresh cabbage stir-fried into (South Indian) cabbage thoran (with coconut).

Instead of dal, baby lima beans (freezer) cooked with lots of coconut and cilantro.

Kids had (beyond) cheeseburgers and roasted cauliflower.

image image

I also attempted steamed Bao / lotus flower buns to turn yesterday’s pork belly into momofuku-ish / gua bao / pork buns for lunch.

I rolled the buns out a bit thinner than the recipe. But I liked them that way - more bites for the same calories… :roll_eyes: :laughing:

17 Likes

Berbers bolognese and broccoli with carrot-top and lemon pesto. Definitely a winner!

14 Likes

We missed you! Welcome back.

3 Likes

Forgot to post from a few nights ago - seared pork coppa steak (split), sweet potato waffle fries, broccoli with ramp butter. And bagged bacon Caesar (yuck).

11 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Bucatini alla carbonara

PXL_20210429_043549984

And a whiskey sour to start :cocktail:

16 Likes

Indian spiced oven-roasted turkey kebabs, masala cauliflower, potato and chickpeas, (not pictured) palak paneer and/or steamed green beans, cucumber raita and garlic naan.

10 Likes

Looks good! What is a berbers bolognese? Carrot top pesto sounds interesting too.

Wonderful to see you here again! :blush:

1 Like

I’m so glad to see you back!

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone here follows Diaspora Co or the ongoing Spice thread, but I’ll leave this here.

4 Likes

Oof, a typo shakes fist at autocorrect deities. Should be berbere (the ethiopian spice blend). P2 made the carrot greens pesto – definitely a sharp flavor, but great for spring. Radish greens also work quite nicely for this (or any greens IMHO)

3 Likes

IIRC sushi/sashimi grade is a generally unregulated designation. As discussed here, you’re probably really safe eating tuna raw.

If there were parasites, ceviche/curing would not help much, but my take is that tuna is generally super safe to eat. If you enjoy your cooked tuna like I do (seared on the outside, effectively still raw on the inside), the internal temp probably isn’t going to get high enough in the middle of the piece of fish to kill any parasites there anyway. However, if you’re concerned about surface bacterial growth, searing ought to take care of that nicely.

If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me – here to learn and share!

Tl;dr very likely totally fine, enjoy your beautiful tuna!

Disclaimer: this is not medical advice, I am not a medical professional, etc.

4 Likes

Today’s wfd is this beauty plus a million cheeses and a billion pickled things from the fridge. A few days ago I noticed that ½ or more of my fridge was now half open jars of pickled veg of every stripe, plus a number of sauces or condiments. Hardly enough real estate to actually store food. So I am on a mission to reduce.

Also, my older son yesterday stated that we had so much cheese and no bread to eat it with and we (royal we) either needed to bake a loaf or buy one. Well, that sounded like a challenge! And I thought to myself, surely, it is no problem to whip up a loaf – I don’t want to make a special grocery trip and overpay to boot. [He likes the crusty artisanal ones.] It was a little tight, as my little (well, he’s 15 but who’s counting) had a soccer game that we watched, and we arrived home from that around 745pm with no one yet fed. We’d had to leave at 445 to drop him off for warm up. I tasked my H with heating up chili finished the night before and doing some toppings, while I started mixing the dough. Pretty late start, but the feeling of being able to just throw a loaf of bread together at 8pm was good indeed, when only a few years ago I truly believed great bread was not a home cook project (or at least not in my purview). Self sufficiency is a tremendous feeling.

12 Likes

We must be long-lost relatives.

3 Likes

I like your screenname