What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Yumm… I’m making this!

2 Likes

Fun post! And that chicken! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Happy celebration!

This looks inspiring.

1 Like

Whoa! That’s never happened when I’ve prepped uni at home. I keep them in the fridge for a while, and they are completely motionless when I take them out.

It was Mr Bean’s birthday the other day and he requested Beef Wellington for dinner. I know it is pretty old school but his beloved uncle was a caterer and Beef Wellington was one of his specialties. I’ve never made it before but figured I’d give it a try. Not wanting to make a whole beef tenderloin for the 3 of us (and not interested in experimenting on a $100 plus piece of meat) I went with individual filets instead. Served with Hasselback Potatoes also at his request.

We’ve been huge fans of Grgich Hills Zin for years and decided to go with the oldest bottle in our collection. It was delicious.

20 Likes

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bean! He is lucky to have a loving and caring wife like you :blush: That looks like a fabulous birthday dinner that you created with an excellent wine to compliment it.

3 Likes

Happy birthday Mr. Bean!!! The Wellington looks really lovely, and I’m admiring the slicing you did on the potato. Beautifully done. There’s a reason those classics stay with us, they are delicious!

3 Likes

Adopt me?

5 Likes

Happy birthday to Mr. Bean! I am crushing on the individual Beef Wellingtons you made. Great idea.

1 Like

Do tell what you did for the pastry shell? Store bought or homemade puff pastry? (it looks flakey lol)

From one to another!!!

8 Likes

Happy birthday to Mr. Bean. Kudos for the choice of Hasselback potatoes. I like broccoli or Brussel sprouts alongside, but I like those alongside about anything.

1 Like

A very happy birthday and birthday dinner to Mr. Bean! The potato and Wellington look amazing!

1 Like

Yeah, a few were moving. But, hey, if I’m going to eat something I shouldn’t shy away from knowing how it dies. But! it was freaky.

1 Like

Agreed. Lobsters and crabs make me a little nervous, but they also seem to react to cold by “hibernating.”

I know, poor things. I tried the tip of putting the lobsters in the freezer first to put them to sleep “hibernate”. It must not have been long enough because they were still moving! :sob:

Made @mariacarmen’s Necromancer cocktail last night. Well, two, actually. Delightful!

In keeping with our Wednesday Chinese takeout tradition, I still took it easy with plain steamed chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce on the side. Also steamed dumplings instead of fried. No ill effects. I think I’m back in business!

Perhaps it was gastroenteritis brought on by something I ate. It could last up to two weeks, and for me, ended up being 9 days.

13 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better, and well enough to engage in some necromancy, now that you’re fully back in the world of the living!

i’m going to need a bigger bottle of absinthe.

4 Likes

We had a lobster rolls dinner party a couple years ago at a friends’ home, where the host killed the lobsters for us. it was a horrifying sight, he was miserable doing it, and i’m sure far worse for the poor bugs. I know it’s utterly hypocritical, but I won’t ever be able to do that myself.

2 Likes

beautiful job! happy bday to the hubs!

1 Like

ack!!! yeah, i don’t think i’ll be doing that anytime soon.

1 Like