What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Cabbage roll soup, inspired by Ms. Bean! I should have added a squirt of lemon juice. Next bowl will get the lemon! Delicious and satisfying and less work than making actual rolls.

11 Likes

I strongly agree with you in principal. I can get a little squeamish with mammals. I’ve posted before that someone particularly oblivious in my region has a letter to the editor published objecting to hunting as cruel and said “people should buy meat in the grocery store so no animals will be hurt.”

1 Like

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I passed them along to Mr Bean.

@NotJrvedivici - I may be crazy but I’m not that crazy. Store bought puff pastry. I’m a big fan of TJ’s puff pastry. It’s a seasonal item and in stock from early November until they run out. I usually buy 8-10 boxes each season to have on hand until the next year.

4 Likes

Oh yum! I’m glad it turned out well.

Did he do the knife-through-the-head thing? I’m not that badass. And last time I bought a Dungeness crab, I had my fish guy dispatch it. He said it would definitely be fine and not start to decay if I threw it in the freezer when I got home (he was right).

1 Like

yes he did, and because there were so many of us dining, he had to do it many times over.

1 Like

From your initial description, it sounds like he wasn’t very experienced at it. I can’t imagine inviting people to watch me do something I’m not sure how to do.

he didn’t invite us to watch him, we were having a collaborative dinner party and the task was foisted on him.

I don’t think he necessarily did a bad job of it, but i’m sure it wasn’t pleasant for him.

I guess my confusion lies in that he was the host. He invited people over for an event which involved killing lobsters. What outcome was he expecting? Someone else would volunteer? The lobsters would commit suicide? I’ll stop asking about this, because I’m sure it’s annoying you. But I feel like I need to know!

4 Likes

i and two of my girlfriends decided together to have a lobster roll party. we had it at my friends’ home - a married couple. “Host” just means it was his house - his and his wife’s. With my friends, any one of us can say, hey, i want to cook so-and-so at our next party. Someone says ok, let’s do it at my house. Doesn’t matter whose house it is, it’s not a formal “hosting” or invitation, we just decide we want to cook together. Husband didn’t say, come do it at my house, and while we (my & my gfs) knew someone would be killing the lobsters, he didn’t know it would be him until that same day, because the gals all wimped out, and he graciously accepted.

and there wasn’t a bunch of people sitting around watching. it was me, my two girlfriends, and the one girlfriend’s husband. by the time the rest of our friends came over, the lobsters had long been dispatched.

5 Likes

Hoisin sauce is one of my favorite condiments to use in a meatloaf. Yours sounds delicious. And welcome to HO!

5 Likes

Aha. Thanks!

1 Like

i’m in the hoisin on meatloaf camp too!

welcome!

2 Likes

I see you’ve been keeping up with us if not posting until now. Bravo!

5 Likes

DH made IP ginger chicken soup with baby bok choy, spinach, and lime. The TJ’s Thai veggie gyoza were inedible according to all three of us. If I were to make the soup again (probably), I would use a whole piece of ginger - the little grated bits were unpalatable, esp since my hubs didn’t peel the ginger first. I would also use chicken breast briefly poached in the broth instead of thighs.

I have an Allagash Curieaux chilling for later.

10 Likes

I see you’ve learned the lingo, Paulina! :grin: Welcome to HO! Dinner sounds like perfect comfort food.

3 Likes

BF made this Peruvian aji de pollo. “Aji” (“ah-hee”) loosely translates into some type of stew that usually has chilies in it. The Peruvian version is creamier than our Bolivian moms’ versions, and adds ground walnuts to thicken. Two kinds of Peruvian chili paste (rather spicy!), evaporated milk, parm cheese, and shredded chicken. And as is true with many Andean dishes, there are rice AND potatoes on the plate (under the sauce). Super comforting and warming on a chilly, gray day. A little shallot/tomato salad on the side.

13 Likes

Paying an homage to a lost American Chinese food staple of my childhood, the poo-poo platter. Also including a restaurant meal and a cocktail.

That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. Stay vigilant friends!!!

15 Likes

i’m glad they didn’t actually spell it that way on menus or i may never have ordered it! those ribs look righteous.

4 Likes

Dinner tonight; salisbury steak, drilling down, with mushrooms, or mushrooms on the side, with reheated or room temp peas, depending on who is eating.

14 Likes