What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Nice!

:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

So happy for you!

2 Likes

Hah! I was thinking the same thing!

1 Like

And also… how come mine always has a blood splatter look on the plate vs this…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! :two_hearts: Your name suits you!

1 Like

Right?!

1 Like

Tonight I made colcannon for the first time. I cooked some bacon, and ate it as the cook’s treat. Then I sauteed the leeks in it, and then the savoy cabbage.

Made mashed potatoes with waaay too much butter and half and half, and then added the leeks and cabbage. It turned out great!

Added a cheddar wurst and some dijon mustard. Paired with an Arnold Palmer.

16 Likes

Is there such a thing?

3 Likes

I’m so, so happy for you! :hugs:

1 Like

I planned on making the Vietnamese Chicken Thighs mentioned above but Mr Bean asked for Brown Stew Chicken. Since I was in a good mood I quickly pivoted. The recipe I followed specifically called for Grace Browning Sauce. I knew I had some sort of browning sauce in the pantry (not sure why I bought it in the first place) which turned out to be the Grace brand. Lucky coincidence.

12 Likes

:drooling_face:

1 Like

:rofl: And if not in that good mood, Mr Bean would have gotten what you were originally planning to cook. And he would have LIKED IT. :wink:

5 Likes

10 Likes

Is that Dali in Somerville?

2 Likes

That may be true but I would have to hear about it FOREVER!

2 Likes

Hmmm. That’s a good question. The Kubbeh dough was a little dense but I did not mind. I don’t know if you make or are familiar with matzah balls. Theres are two schools of thought - Those who believe they should be light and fluffy and those who prefer them “heavy”. I grew up with heavy matzah balls so the the denser dough did not bother me. I can see that it probably could/should be a bit fluffier.

PS. Sorry I missed your question earlier.

2 Likes

The one and only.

1 Like

Frankenchicken bone-in breasts with ribs were on sale at Market Basket, so I bought several packages to feed my freezer. Two were used for dinner tonight and to make chicken salad for work lunches.

Olive oil, maple syrup, lime juice, lime zest, maple-pepper seasoning from Vermont, and additional cracked pepper was blended in a jar and poured over the chicken to marinate for several hours.

Roasted at 400° until internal temp was 165°, spooning some of the marinade over top while roasting.

Sides were Armenian rice pilaf and steamed and buttered green beans with toasted almonds. There was wine as well. A nice David Bruce Chardonnay.

16 Likes

It looked good. We’ll try to go there if we can ever get to Boston again!

1 Like

Thank you @MsBean! I’ve helped a friend make matzoh balls for a large, back to back Passover dinner - maybe about 45 people between the 2 days. I think hers are on the lighter side, but that said, I’ve only had them a very few times. But I do like them! Also make and love the flavors of borscht, so your dish caught my eye.

May try that recipe, but perhaps reduce the amount of semolina a little, and add a bit more flour perhaps? We’ll see - hope to make it.

1 Like