What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

And a very artfully plated ketchup pile! :smiley:

1 Like

Wednesday night’s episode of Bringing Israel Home with Michael Solomonov focused on Iraqi/Israeli cuisine. The most famous dish is Kubbeh Selek, a semolina dumpling stuffed with ground beef, onions and baharat spices, served in a beet soup. Because I’ve been thinking about the Pomegranate Molasses I added a shot to amply the sweet and sour flavor.

13 Likes

I’m thrilled that you post dishes like these. Oh, the inspiration!

3 Likes

I love their Tipsy stuff. I have onions and cherries.

1 Like

Agree, thanks for the inspiration.

Was pomegranate molasses not included in the original ingredients list?

I think so - or just simmer until the chicken is shreddable. Do you have a regular pressure cooker?

Thank you. I’ve been trying to expand my food horizons lately. Mr Bean can eat the same things over and over but I get bored.

@bmorecupcake - It did not. It called for the more typical lemon juice and sugar. I added the molasses while the soup was cooking and but gave the soup a squirt of lemon just before serving.

This includes all the recipes showcased in the series so far (there are 2 more episodes). Kubbeh is Episode 14. It’s definitely worth a try. The hardest part was getting the beet stains off my hands.

5 Likes

Your dish is stunning @MsBean, and I’m sure it was delicious! Are you happy with the result, or would you do anything differently next time? Very clever to use the pomegranate molasses.

2 Likes

Nope. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

There’s just something really inviting about red dishes! And you chose the perfect plate. Beautiful!

1 Like

Looks good … The fish is overcooked if it is dry.

Friday Lunch. Blue rare Black Angus …

13 Likes

Yes it was my fault . it wasn’t that bad . Maybe 1
1 1/2" minutes over . Most likely pouring a glass of wine . Cheers

4 Likes

Beautiful lunch, @Barca. And we have enjoyed that Tignanello ourselves on a few occasions. Cheers!

3 Likes

Exquisite looking steak and wine paring!
Enjoy your weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

Have a lovely weekend.

2 Likes

Absolutely remarkable. As sweet as red but not as herby. A very pure taste. Curious how it would go in a martini.

Took a few sips of it straight and it was just delightful.

3 Likes

I went out.
To dinner.
At Dali.
My restaurant home away from home.
FOURTEEN MONTHS after I was last there.

I’m happy as a pig in poop.

Seriously, one of the best visits at Dali I’ve had.

When you’re deprived for so long, the occasion becomes even more special.

And because my friends and I were so busy catching up, I took NO pics of the food! Rest assured, we decimated the following:

-2 liters of sangria
-Garlic Shrimp
-Roast Duck with Berry Sauce
-Baked Goat Cheese w/Tomato & Basil
-Lamb Chops w/Peach Sauce
-Beef Tenderloin w/Chimichurri Sauce and Roasted Red Pepper on Grilled Bread

And for dessert:

-Ubiquitous Flan
-Churros with w/Warm Chocolate Sauce and Dulce de Leche
-Cuarenta y Tres for all 3 of us

I’m very full.
I’m very happy.
I feel this close to normal.

It was an absolutely fabulous end to a hectic week.

22 Likes

The snow has melted . Ornamental cherry tree in full blossom . Time to break out the pellet smoker . Pork ribs . Peppery , porky , with a slight chew off the bone . Super pleased the way they came out . Salad with sliced tomato . Cheers .

19 Likes

I was also super pleased with dinner tonight. Vietnamese-style Chicken Thighs, with credit going to @TheCookie and @Phoenikia for providing the recipe. I used blsl thighs and grilled instead of baked. Reduced the marinade to a glaze to baste with as they grilled. So tender and moist. Cauli fried rice and a refreshing salad of mango, cukes, red bell, red onion, cilantro and peanuts with a sweet and sour dressing.

16 Likes