What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Wow! Christina, thanks for this new-to-me dish. I want some NOW! Promise to try it soon.

1 Like

In a large cast iron skillet I browned 1 lb. ground lamb with a few pinches of baking soda, salt, pepper, and some TJ’s umami seasoning and onion powder. Drained the fat and added a minced onion and eventually about 1 Tbsp tomato paste, 6 cloves minced garlic, and some Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Preheated the oven to 425°F. Added chicken stock, lots of black pepper, fresh thyme, rosemary, and dried bay leaves, about 1/2 packet of brown gravy mix leftover from some slow cooker recipe, 1/2 c barleywine, and a cup of frozen peas. I diced, seasoned, and micro-steamed 4 peeled carrots, 4 celery talks, and 2 peeled white potatoes. Added the tendercrisp veg and their juices to the pan along with a couple Tbsp. flour slurry to thicken. Removed bay leaves. Quickly topped with rolled-out puff pastry and baked about 35-40 min til deeply browned.

ETA: egg washed the puff pastry before baking and cooked off some of the beer alcohol before thickening the sauce.

5 Likes

I’m by no means claiming this is a traditional recipe, but it used up lots of odds and ends and postponed a trip to the grocery store :grin: Steak and ale pie, per the BBC, is more often made with stewing beef and mushrooms.

DH ate half the pan!

5 Likes

Inspired by @ChristinaM’s post a few weeks ago, Chu Hou beef stew, in the IP. I didn’t use tendon as that would not have gone over well with the BF, and also didn’t find any brisket that wasn’t corned. So I used stewing beef. Also, I was also out of star anise, so I just used a little five spice, and in addition to the daikon, I added carrots because we had a surplus, and asparagus because it needed to be eaten. So I know it’s not exactly what it should be, but it was WONDERFUL. Really homey! BF made a nice salad with a bunch of the pickle-y things we have in the fridge. Extra Chu Hou sauce and my favorite new condiment on the side.

18 Likes

I’ve seen that chili garlic! Gotta get some, I suppose, if you endorse!

ETA: stew looks great. Have you ever made Vietnamese beef stew? I bet you would like it. My Asian market sells a seasoning mix, but it’s not difficult.

2 Likes

thanks! no, but i’ve been thinking of making one for a long time, just keep forgetting.

i love that chili garlic, the garlic chips are so crunchy, it’s irresistible. i also just read on the label that it contains almonds, which i couldn’t discern, but people with nut allergies should beware… i would definitely get the spicy one next time.

1 Like

Awesome! Your meal too, lol.

1 Like

Oh yum. I’m doing this. Was the lime crema on the side?

Another I’m doing this!

2 Likes

Leftover Refrigerator Pasta Primavera topped w/Crispy Zucchini, Fresh from the Farmers Market

10 Likes

I knew I had a recipe saved!

There’s also a NYT recipe that seems a little less fussy, which I’ve also saved.

3 Likes

One of the only vegetables The Sprout doesn’t like is asparagus which is weird as I think it is my favorite. Since she wasn’t home last night for dinner I made one of my favorites - Grilled asparagus with fried eggs. I know some will quibble but I for this I like my eggs a little crispy around the edges. Red peppers were 99 cents a pound so I grilled a bunch to serve alongside. They add the proverbial pop of color.

16 Likes

You say your food doesn’t photograph well. Now that is a BEAUTIFUL plate! Wow!

1 Like

Second it!

2 Likes

I typically roast the sprouts just tossed with some salt and chile powder, then once they’re almost done, sprinkle on some cheese and stick them back in the oven just for a couple of minutes to melt it. Plate, then drizzle with lime crema and throw on some cilantro if I have it. You could easily just serve the crema on the side for dipping if you prefer that, though.

1 Like

Nice idea.

1 Like

Beautiful plate!

@heidicooksandbakes @naf @gcaggiano

Thanks for the compliments. It certainly helps that this was quickly-cooked “spring” food. So much more naturally photogenic than slow-cooked winter foods.

3 Likes

Sounds very familiar to my Sheppard’s pie recipe, which it’s been probably 10+ years since I’ve made it since I’m the only lamb eater of the house.

beautiful, and i love crispy edges.

1 Like