What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Thanks.

that’s a perfect plate of food!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you and he are symptom-free. The only thing that happened to me after my first dose was a sore - and then really itchy - arm. I was ready to get hit pretty hard after dose #2, and I’m starting to feel better now.

1 Like

I did end up taking Tylenol when the joint pain and chills got bad, but I tried not to since the CDC really doesn’t know yet how it affects the vaccine’s efficacy. Eventually I decided it was more important that I get a little sleep. I’m sure you’ll see my freezer soup #2 post here later today!

4 Likes

That all looks delicious, let me ask you though, the duck do you prefer it that rare? I like duck, good duck, but I don’t think I could eat it that rare. Just curious if that was your preferred temp or just how they prepared it, does rarer affect the taste?

1 Like

Lately pasta has often been on our plates on Sunday evenings. Here’s another version of fresh ravioli (purchased) with CSA spinach and locally raised oyster mushrooms from Fat Moon Farm in Westford, MA. The mushroomy flavor got a boost from a small dollop of preserved truffle butter.

When I want a light cream pan sauce, I have been using either mascarpone, labne, or super thick Greek yogurt for the dairy instead of heavy cream. Whichever one I have works for me. I feel like I can use less dairy and the resulting sauce seems lighter to me.

14 Likes

That looks wonderful! I keep forgetting I purchased mushroom bouillon cubes and to use them in a mushroom/vegetable pasta dish. I saw them in my cabinet last night when I was putting away the container of Israeli couscous. I’m thinking this week…

3 Likes

@LindaWhit, if you find yourself at a Farmer Dave’s farmstand they appear to be starting to carry Fat Moon Farm mushrooms. I don’t remember how much the package of oyster mushrooms cost but quality was impeccable and they were so very good. We’re mushroom fiends in this house so my opinion is biased. Very.

2 Likes

Vegetable shortages prevail especially on weekends, can’t find anything, no beet, cauliflower, celery… no rye flour and grains either. My attempt to cook Nordic dishes is much compromised.

A few dinners from last few days.

Baked cod with fennel foam and purée

Saturday diner was a recipe from the book From the North, modernized Icelandic. Oven baked cod with smoked salt and black pepper with dill. Cooked fennel bulb with butter, mixed with sour cream and butter to make fennel purée. Infused cooked fennel with water and milk with evoo and salt, mixed to foam.

Last night was Monkfish with radish dressing

Adapted loosely from the same book, I replaced beet with radish for the purée. The pink colour came from the red onion. Other ingredients included honey, lemon juice and skyr. Fish is coated with flour and pan fried with butter. Served with a cucumber, radish, red onion, parsley salad with white wine vinegar and evoo.

Merguez and lentils, tomato and goat cheese

Leek and potato soup with smoked sausages

Vietnamese spring rolls with prawn, the best I have made so far.

23 Likes

Wow! Your dinners look spectacular as always!

3 Likes

Thanks @NotJrvedivici! That was actually venison, and the chef recommended it be cooked rare. He would have heated it up more if I didn’t like it, but it was delicious; very lean with a nice char on the end, and it melted in your mouth. It was perfectly matched with the homemade spaetzle and sauteed red cabbage.

3 Likes

Thank you @ChristinaM! I always try to do justice to the Chef’s food :blush:

2 Likes

Yours are much prettier than me. Practice is in order.

1 Like

:joy: Yes, dinner lasted a little longer than usual. I gave him a banana and some Kong peanut butter when we got home. He was much happier after that :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks Eli, yours too!! Love your photos as well.

2 Likes

Had some white rice left over so that means I’m obligated to make fried rice and:

General Tso chicken
Chinese lemon chicken
Veggie fried rice
Ants on a tree

Pretty darn good if I do say so myself. If I served it to you would ask: “what shitty Chinese place did you order this from?”. I would take that as a compliment!

18 Likes

Wow, yum! What a labor of love. How many people are you feeding?

I made lamb mince and ale pie topped with puff pastry. DH loved it. Transferring the puff topping onto the hot filling was a disaster.

16 Likes

Thank you it was just 4 of us, plenty of left overs for the week.

Do tell more about the lamb mince pie? I love me some lamb!!

2 Likes

Thank you @naf :blush:

1 Like