What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Buffalo wings and elote-style Brussels sprouts (roasted with chili powder, topped with grated Parmesan and lime crema). Too hungry for pics!

8 Likes

Last nights dinner was inspired by the pomegranate molasses thread, humungus chicken breast, carrots and brussels baked in a pomegranate molasses, two mustard (Maille Dijon and old style) sauce. Salad of baby spring greens, yellow cherry tomatoes, avocado, celery & red onion with maple balsamic dressing. 'Twas delicious, I’ll be using the molasses more often.
Tonight, okra gumbo with shrimp, crab, a little andouille sausage, Creole boiled cauli rice and muffuletta salad salad. My sinuses are clear.
IMG_2875 IMG_2877 IMG_2837 IMG_2891

18 Likes

Great idea on the muffuletta salad @BeefeaterRocks! All of it looks delicious! Please, more details on the Creole boiled cauliflower rice - frozen or??

We enjoyed another spectacular dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ. We enjoyed black bass, venison, lobster crepes, duck confit salad, mussels, and Spanish chips.It all went great with an excellent Gigondas and cabernet sauvignon.

15 Likes

Posole (with hyper-local cilantro). Got my Moderna #2 today and I DO NOT FEEL GREAT. So I was happy to have this in the freezer, the last of a giant batch I made a few weeks ago.

IMG_7261

14 Likes

yum on all of this! love how dark your roux turned out. And i too love the idea of a muffuletta salad salad!

Chile colorado pozole. Leftover pork shoulder I over-grilled at my sister’s last week, homemade enchilada sauce, using dried guajillos and mulatas, braised for a couple hours, then added hominy and a little more oregano. Topped with crumbled loroco queso, scallions/cilantro, and crema. Served with charred tortillas and cilantro/garlic/lime rice. Salad in a garlicy/oregano vinaigrette.

grateful that the BF and I got our covid vaxx yesterday, him Moderna, me J&J (so i’m done!) - neither of us suffered any symptoms whatsoever. knock on wood… sister gets her first on Tues., so i’m thinking in a month my little bubble will be in the clear! (well, as clear as any of us can be.)

16 Likes

Thank you. I grate fresh cauliflower, boil three-ish minutes.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, the roux was much better than my first attempt. Patience was the key to success.
And yay on your vax!

1 Like

oh no, so sorry, i saw your post after i posted mine (re covid shot) - sorry you’re feeling crappy!

I guess it was a pozole type of night!

that dinner hits all the right notes.

1 Like

Last night DH made spicy Sichuan mung bean noodle bowls based on a Chinese noodle + topping packet, to which he added stir-fried chicken breast, cauliflower, carrot, poached egg, and chili crisp.

Tonight I made turkey burgers adding gelatin bloomed in chicken broth and soy sauce, a la ATK, plus minced dried onion. Served on ww sandwich bread (leftover from camping) with avo, crispy shallot, and ketchup. Served with a lousy “Mediterranean” bagged salad.

I would use this method again…but on very lean ground beef instead.

17 Likes

The look on the dog . " What took you so long . I thought you were never coming back . I need a treat . "

2 Likes

Wowza. Wow.

These photos are just incredible, Eli!

This is really clever! Filing away.

3 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:Sounds and looks amazing

Sorry you feel poorly! (That means it’s working, as they say…). From recent experience may I suggest - keep Tylenol and a beverage by the bed, along with a heating pad or heating blanket. And to keep this OT - don’t feel obligated to cook dinner tomorrow. Let someone cook for you or dig into freezer/pantry stores if you have appetite to eat.

But yeah: Tylenol!

5 Likes

Why thank you @mariacarmen! As always, your food looks vibrant and as if it’s about ready to jump onto my plate…how I wish! :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

A variation on one of Jacques Pepin’s recipes: chicken thighs over sautéed spinach. I dredged them in seasoned flour before pan frying in butter since these were boneless and skinless instead of whole thighs and I needed to make up for the lack of fat and crunch due to the absence of skin. Lots of garlic, onion, and a splash of Dolin dry vermouth in the spinach. There was TPSTOB in this meal. Simple, easy, and delicious. Side of browned butter gnocchi. It paired well with a Boulevardier.

18 Likes