What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

It is an authentic Italian Deli eat in and take out.

Have a nice wkend.

1 Like

The FIL has taken to making his own sausages and burgers. Tonight we tried out the burgers. Cheeseburger with homemade kimchi and sweet potato fries.

20 Likes

Friday Evening.

14 Likes

No idea why, but as of yesterday morning, I was craving an enchilada.

So…chicken breast defrosted, poached, and shredded. Mixed with sauteed chopped onions and red bell pepper, leftover rice, and a can of drained black beans.

Made a “chunky” red enchilada sauce (without green chiles because I thought I had them but I didn’t, so I added a bit of minced Cuban pepper for a smidge of heat).

Three flour/corn tortillas were spread wih some sauce, layered with the chicken mixture, topped with shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese, rolled up and tucked into a small baking dish, topped with more sauce and cheese, and baked at 350° for 20 minutes or so.

Toppings were sour cream, green onions, and minced parsley as a stand-in for the dreaded icky cilantro.

Might not be what you get at an authentic Mexican restaurant, but it scratched the itch.

Wine.

24 Likes

You don’t like cilantro?! It happens.

I have the gene where it tastes like soap to me.

1 Like

@LindaWhit, my son too. AND he has a bunch of allergies. Fooey.

I am smoking …Tri tip. Will be awhile before it’s ready for eating.

Inspiration from

And…

Mine

18 Likes

Loooooooong week here for some reason, despite the relief of getting poked - DH and I both got Pfizer #2 on Monday, woo hoo! I had a slightly sore arm but no other issues; DH had a very sore arm and minor rash, plus general malaise for a couple of days.

Anyway, I was too pooped to do anything creative for dinner. I had hamburger in the fridge so I turned it into taco meat and made taco bowls with sautéed peppers and onions, cilantro, pickled jalapeños and sour cream. Plus a gin Rickey with a splash of pomegranate molasses (inspired by the ongoing thread on that topic). There might be a second one in my future!

13 Likes

Provençal-seasoned sausages from our Frenchy butcher, in a turmeric tomato sauce with sauteed onion/garlic, bay leaves, basil, and orzo finished in the sauce. Heavy on the parm. Had no idea tomatoes would work so well with turmeric - i don’t know why! Really loved this, will make again. BF made the salad - red leaf lettuce, toasted pecans, sliced apples, sweet pickled turnips, shallots, feta.

15 Likes

Levain type chocolate chocolate chip with cherries cookie

Kale pizza with salt, pepper, olive oil, mozzarella, crushed red pepper, lemon slices, and balsamic vinegar

Buffalo :water_buffalo: chicken pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella, cut up fried chicken. Finished with Parmesan, aioli, frank’s Hot sauce, cilantro, and green onions.

17 Likes

She’s back!

DIL bread ( vegan) , Smoked Tri-tip and buttock. Okay, not buttock a flat baklava pastry stuffed with potato and beef

And later…

23 Likes

Terribly sorry about your genetic disposition with regard to cilantro.

I planning on making chicken pot pie one day this coming week. I would ordinarily grill the chicken as I do when I make enchiladas or burritos. Your poach gives me pause. Thoughts?

1 Like

I like the poaching because the chicken stays moist and juicy, even after I shredded it. For an enchilada, it works for me because there’s not a lot of sauce to keep the shredded chicken moist while it heats up in the oven.

For a pot pie? There’s always the gravy to help the chicken along. So I guess it’s just more what you prefer. I can’t grill in my complex (no gas or charcoal allowed) so I’d have to use a grill pan. The poaching in water worked just as well for me.

2 Likes

I follow your logic. I may extend that to cooking the chicken in broth in a slow cooker during the day and making the pot pie for dinner. Thinking out loud.

My sympathies. The condo I lived in after college had similar rules. I was much less rule-bound then and, like many of my neighbors, ignored those rules. We had solid brick walls around our balconies so it wasn’t particularly obvious. As it happens I was shortly after elected president of the condo association and established a committee to review the covenants and bylaws. It turned out that the rule about grills was driven by insurance. I was sufficiently successful at cost control and service provision that we were able to get coverage and still reduce overall expenses. There was much joy at Park Glen Condominiums thereafter. grin

3 Likes

My unsolicited opinion: cut the chicken into large-ish bite-sized chunks, season, and just sear in a large skillet or saucier with butter. Remove the poultry, add your aromatics (celery, onion, carrot, maybe a little leek, shallot, or garlic, plus bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary), then the remaining veg (peas and cubed potatoes - I pre-steam in microwave), then incorporate flour, more butter if needed, and whisk in milk/cream and chicken broth to make a thickened sauce. Off heat, stir the chicken and juices back in. Then fill your pie shell and place on a pre-heated sheet pan for crisper bottom crust.

This way your chicken stays juicy!

4 Likes

Oops - don’t forget sage!

1 Like

Your opinion is always welcome.

1 Like

Yup, as is ours. It was instituted after new roofs and siding was put on complex-wide 2 years before I moved in. First, no grills on our decks; they had to be on the driveway10 feet away from the deck overhang. The next year, no gas grills at ALL. And the year after I moved in, no charcoal grills. So a few neighbors have electric grills, snd they seem to work OK. I just don’t want to have to run up and down the stairs to get to the grill all the time. (Townhouse setup with main living space is on the 2nd floor and sleeping space on the 3rd floor.)

So I deal with it by using a grill pan, which has served me decently well.

5 Likes

Bad luck! But at least we’ve learned to ask our guests before we put it in cooked dishes.

1 Like

If you ever run for the HOA give me a shout. I was president of my condominium association for seven years and have the scars to show for it.