What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Stopped at the local Italian deli and picked up a few things to throw on the grill. Bacon wrapped chicken, chicken pinwheels and garlic pork skewers. Side of eggplant bread and some yellow Spanish rice! Delicious and easy peasy!!

17 Likes

DH out of town so I’m on a “eating what I want” rampage. Tonight, Joe’s Special, an historic San Francisco concoction of greens, ground beef and eggs. Hit the spot and no grumbles from non-believers.

16 Likes

Carnitas tacos and ayocote negro beans from Rancho Gordo.

14 Likes

Asian lettuce wraps for dinner tonight. Chicken, baby bells. water chestnuts and green onion with a 9 ingredient sauce. After I ate one I thought it lacked heat so I added chili crisp. Side was a two cabbage slaw with carrots, sugar snap peas, a creamy miso dressing and a sprinkle of furikake.

Dessert, because I earned it. I put in hours of hard labor in the greenhouse today.

!

16 Likes

Leftover faux Spanish rice . In house taco supreme . Cheers .

16 Likes

Ah the Joe’s Special, keto before it was cool. Looks good, your’s looks more tasty than the one I had at Joe’s a while back.

Could you tell us more about what’s in the dressing? I love slaw.

1 Like

It’s a mélange. I make a vinaigrette of rice vinegar, oo and Thai red curry paste. If I want it creamy I add mayo. The miso comes from a bottle of Soy Vay miso vinaigrette I bought and don’t like very much on it’s own, too heavy on the sesame oil. I don’t measure anything, so you are on your own there.

4 Likes

I made this recipe for apricot meatballs from Martha Stewart. Added more tomato paste, bay leaves, and a splash of soy to the sauce. Added grated zucchini, splash of milk, and gelatin to the meatballs. Served over couscous with sliced almonds. Green salad with fig-sumac vinaigrette.

14 Likes

Mind showing the recipe as well? Looked delicious with the clear broth.

I’m not sure I can without violating copyright. Basically you put everything but the rice, zucchini, and corn in the Instant Pot, seal, and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Then 10 minutes rest before quick release. Remove and shred the chicken. Add the zucchini and corn and simmer briefly on saute until tender. Return chicken to pot. Serve with lime wedges and cooked rice in individual bowls.

I sauteed the aromatics, but the recipe doesn’t call for it.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was these three olives. Kidding. There was Chicken Parm. Had a board meeting for the museum I work at last night. First in nearly a year. The agenda and running time reflected that absence. Needed a drink when I got home! Bleu cheese stuffed olives.

Tonight was burger night. American cheese, sautéed mushrooms and onions. “Sally Sherman” (whoever that is) macaroni salad from the local Italian market.

To drink was an experiment. I bought Dolin Blanc for the first time which was DELICIOUS. Sweet and flavorful. So…gin, said vermouth, club soda, orange slice. Will prove to be a perfect summer cocktail.

15 Likes

Eggs Blackstone, tots, and broccolini

11 Likes

The BF outdid himself. He took packaged tonkotsu ramen, made the broth, made a bacon tare to flavor it (it needed it), took the pork i’d grilled at my sister’s recently, marinated it as if for cha su, seared and sliced it, and added ramen noodles, sprouts, onion, wood ear fungus, enoki mushrooms, and a soy-dipped egg. On the side: pickled ginger & radish, garlic chili crisp, and more bacon tare. Incredibly good, all of it.

19 Likes

i KNEW you’d love that Dolin Blanc!

1 Like

The souse vide asparagus arrived to the plate needing a nap . The rice with tomato was fabulous … Red snapper . A little dry and boring . Cheers .

10 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have IP, should I roughly multiple the time by 3 in a normal pot on stove?

That looks really good! Great BF!!

3 Likes

Or about 15% faster than an Instant Pot in a real pressure cooker.

In the case of Christina’s report, I’d increase the cook time but not the rest time.

2 Likes

And a very artfully plated ketchup pile! :smiley:

1 Like