What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Wow!

It actually is not that warm however, there were heat lamps so the young group have hot blood !

It runs between 10 degrees in the early mornings and goes up to 20 - 22 degrees approx. mid-day and then drops as the sunsets.

Yes, it is not too far, from our flat (apartment) … Coast … but headed north …

It is not the Barcelona City Beach front …

Have a lovely weekend. Thank you for the compliments.

1 Like

Spaghetti alla Nerano, alla Stanley Tucci! as interpreted by the BF. I found the recipe, he cooked it. of course, we don’t know how it is supposed to taste, and subbed a sharp provolone for the provolone de Monaco, but it was delicious. I found the smaller, light green zukes for this dish, as recommended by a woman who had tasted and made the dish many times in Italy. I would only have added a little more salt, and maybe more whole sliced zucchini instead of just as a garnish.

BF made Italian sausage for himself on the side, and a salad of mixed greens with my gorgonzola vinaigrette.

13 Likes

Did you fry the zucchini in saflower oil and let them sit overnight?

As usual, no photos.

Curbside pickup last night (Thu) from a regional chain called Red, Hot, & Blue was a crushing disappointment. My beef brisket and my wife’s smoked turkey were dry. One tiny plastic container of barbecue sauce for both of us. A tablespoon (literally) of coleslaw. My wife’s green beans were soggy and sweet potato casserole was overcooked. The high point of the meal was mediocre sauteed mushrooms. They are off our list until the memory fades. This leaves us with just four places (Mexican/Salvadoran, Chinese, sushi, pho) that have both curbside pickup and decent food. Upshot is the repetition means less takeaway dinners.

Dinner tonight is chicken enchiladas (made in bulk and frozen in five 8x8s for the freezer), rice, refried beans (canned - I haven’t focused on this https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_baked.html for refried beans yet), and salad.

Tomorrow night is my late sister-in-law’s recipe for Gai Pad Prik Sod with sticky rice, a couple of dips, and whatever else looks handy.

Curbside grocery pickup Monday morning and I leave for a yacht delivery on Thursday so meal planning will look funny this week as my wife launches into all the things I’m not fond of while I’m gone. Three of the four of us onboard are interested in cooking so I may come home with new ideas. Maybe arroz con gandules ?

5 Likes

no, and i’m only now remembering that was part of the episode. I found a recipe online that had you dip each piece of fried zucchini into boiling water, I’m assuming to gain the same effect.

and now the woman I know who lived in Italy (she’s on a FB food group with me) is telling me that she doesn’t know this prep at all, the one she knows is just fried zucchini tossed with herbs, lemon juice and parm regg, and then tossed with pasta, which sound delicious but is not the same at all.

3 Likes

Seriously, every time I read or hear the word “whack”, I think of Steel Magnolias. “Half the people of Chinquapin Parish would give their eye teeth to take a whack at Ouiser! Go on M’Lynn - knock her lights out!” (said by Clairee)

:laughing:

6 Likes

Tonight was supposed to be prawn noodles. However our neighbour had an error with her supermarket delivery and gave us a couple of tubs of creme fraiche. So pappardelle with mushrooms
(fresh and a few reconstituted dried ceps), creme fraiche and thyme.

16 Likes

Back in the 90s I was flying to LA a lot. One month schedule had me on TWA in one direction and United in the other. I saw Steel Magnolias four times. I never want to watch it again.

4 Likes

That’s a helluva great meal from a neighbor’s error!

3 Likes

Mrs. P made smoky and spicy Andouille sausage, peppers, and onions :yum:

9 Likes

Simple tonight: defrosted a container of my Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Corn Chowder and heated a Pepperidge Farm crusty-crunchy roll in the toaster oven. No libation, despite it being Friday night.

17 Likes

Don’t worry, I’ll make up for you! :rofl:

4 Likes

Simple, but gets the job done after a long day. My own “shake and bake” blend on a baked pork chop. Asparagus sautéed with butter and garlic before steaming in dry vermouth.

There were several gin and tonics.

15 Likes

Pizza for the kids tonight, seeing as it’s Friday.

I made the crusts this morning, using Bob’s GF pizza flour. Severe disconnect between all my experiences with this and the reviews on their site. Today’s was the best version yet, but distinctly eggy.

Adults had my dad’s beet curry, made by sibling. A nice rendition.

14 Likes

Big rib eye from the local butcher. Sous vide this beautiful cut . From the California, Oregon border . Fatty , tender , with that soft beef flavor . Frozen peas as a side . Cheers.

18 Likes

While I don’t drink gin, I do appreciate you taking one on the chin for me, @gcaggiano. I’m sure it was very difficult to muddle through. :wink: I’ll be back into the libationing mix this evening.

1 Like

Would you be amenable to being recruited as a canner? That chowder would be a great candidate.

2 Likes

A dirty job but someone had to do it.

2 Likes

9 Likes