What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Oh wow! I think my doubled recipe was only 1/4 cup of water. I can only imagine how many mbs you got!

1 Like

Monday Red Beans and Rice - er, except we only had pinto beans, but they were Rancho Gordos! Made this yesterday so the flavors were well-married. Store was out of ham hock so i subbed salt pork instead, in addition to the andouille. I think that might be my go-to from now on. Such a homey dish. And a little quick-pickled carrot/daikon/cuke on the side for freshness.

16 Likes

We were lacking inspiration, but ended up with a good dinner just by using up ingredients that needed cooking.

Some fancy shrimp from the seafood store that “someone else” was going to cook this weekend but never did, so my least favorite thing to do - shelling and cleaning shrimp - happened. Easy marinade of garlic and chili oil.

Roasted cauliflower, roasted asparagus, and pressure cooker risotto (to use up mascarpone on its last legs) rounded out the meal. Romesco sauce to use up half a red pepper.

Kids had pasta and the roasted veg (well, one of them then had 3 helpings of risotto too… teenagers ;D).

14 Likes

Nice! Once again we’re on the same food wavelength.

I also used RG Beans, Hidatsa Red. I didn’t have Andouille or Tasso, so I used a firm, slightly smokey, Basque Chorizo called Christorra. The Chorizo tasted great in the beginning but by the time the beans were done all the flavor went into the beans which was great but the chorizo tasted like nothing. I think I’ll brown & save some of it as topping next time.

18 Likes

30th Tuesday. Main meal lunch … FOTOS BY MY DEAR !

11 Likes

Love purple rice.

1 Like

What does purple rice taste like?

1 Like

Grape duh!

3 Likes

You’re a hoot!

2 Likes
5 Likes

@barca lovely pics but could you please tell us what the dishes are when you post? I’m always left guessing…

6 Likes

Here’s pappardelle with smoked salmon, spinach from our farm share, tomato, capers, lemon juice, and olive oil. Super flavorful.

16 Likes

@Rooster & The Cookie,
@Rooster

The Radicchio, the magenta chicory variety turns the rice a rich purple color with the butter and parmigiani and spices & herbs & the Red Wine …

5 Likes

Sounds fabulous and looks fantastic.

Enjoy.

1 Like

I was never really a fan of his, but didn’t Prince explain it?

1 Like

Inspired by the ongoing chicken thigh discussion, I just boned and flattened some BISO chicken thighs in preparation for dinner. I put them back in the fridge uncovered so the skin has a chance to dry out a bit. Will pan-fry to get the skin nice and crispy. Still trying to decide whether to serve over a Caesar salad or with an herb sauce and roasted vegetables on the side.

6 Likes

This is white rice, from Italia - Carnaroli.

The ingredients are magenta (radicchio, a magenta chicory famed for its incredible beauty in Trevisto and revered worldwide).

The magenta radicchio and the fresh herbs, red wine and spices tinted the Carnaroli, a purple color.

3 Likes

Carnaroli which is white and explained why the purple color tinted the white rice.

Magenta red violet Radicchio …
Red wine.
Fresh herbs.
Spices.

2 Likes

These sorts of decisions are driven–for me–by the remaining life in the elemental ingredients. Minimize food waste. In your case it’s hard to go wrong.

1 Like

For me too - the problem today is that I just stocked the fridge on Sunday, so really nothing is nearing the end of its useful life. It will likely be DH’s willingness (or unwillingness, as the case may be) to make a meal of salad that decides in this case! :smirk:

2 Likes