What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

How do you make your mushrooms? I have some of that variety sitting in the fridge right now…

1 Like

Excuse me for jumping in, ipse, but Saregama may be interested in this historical article in Salon by Francis Lam.

1 Like

I’ll throw in a vote for dry sauteeing, always had good results.

1 Like

Air fryer

Went out for dinner Friday night, nothing fancy, but good food, with enough leftover for lunch.

Dinner Saturday night was Honey Garlic Shrimp, brown basmati rice, with sautéed spinach and mushrooms. ‘‘Twas good!

7 Likes

If only I didn’t love a fried tender or nugget! It’s very hard to find one within driving distance, so I’m always craving them…

2 Likes

That looks incredible!

Tonight I made Irish bangers, cabbage colcannon, and caramelized onion gravy. It hit the spot. I think the traditional gravy is thinner but I liked it this way. Colcannon was a good mix of carb and veg at 3 potatoes: half a large head of green cabbage.

17 Likes

Me too :slight_smile: Bet a lot of people had that this weekend!

2 Likes

The sun on the plate is so artistic! And it makes the food look even more appealing…

2 Likes

That’s nice of you to say! I was just reflecting that when I finally get around to ordering window shades, the lighting in my pictures will be less harsh. :laughing:

I’ll eat your food.

1 Like

That’s hilarious. Every year I say I will get a shade for a particular window of ours that - in the summer only - the sun comes through so brightly at dinner that I have to wear shades at the table. Inside. But then I forget, and it isn’t a problem the other 9 months, and then it starts again. Apparently, I can get an advanced degree, stay married for a quarter century, birth and raise 2 fine children, but not get around to measuring the inside dimensions of my window sill.

6 Likes

I made it. Used the marinade from the ckbk recipe you posted but followed your steps for cooking it. My glaze got a little burnt but it was not bad for a first effort.

Also made yummy potato salad w/a rainbow of fingerling potatoes, too much mayo, smoked salt, smoked paprika, TJs lemon pepper grinder, cayenne.

Super Greens, Purple Carrots, Sweet Baby Bells, Campari Tomatoes & Dressing of Rice Vinegar, Vedg Oil, Sesame Oil, Sweet chili Sauce, Soy Sauce

15 Likes

I take that as a high compliment!

2 Likes

Congrats! Lovely couple! Wish the best for the future years!

For us, restaurants dining was another life, they were closed since end of October.

3 Likes

We are going to be eating matzah balls for quite a while. I misread the recipe and used 2 cups of water (actually seltzer) instead of half a cup so I had to add extra matzah meal and eggs. I think I ended up with about 30 matzah balls for the 3 of us. Luckily Mr Bean grew up eating them topped with sour cream so that’s what he’ll have when I run out of soup.

6 Likes

As Miles tells Joel in “Risky Business”, “Sometimes you gotta say WTF, and make your move”.

So I did…to a cheesesteak with Swiss and caramelized onions on a lightly toasted Portuguese roll, and Lamb-Weston Made In Idaho shoestring fries alongside.

Very good move on my part.

21 Likes

Nice move.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @naf!
That is a real shame about the restaurants being closed for the last 5 months. I don’t know why they can’t at least open at 25%. We are very fortunate to have restaurants in NJ open at 50% as of last week. While I have felt safe dining out at restaurants, I would feel better getting the vaccine. It opens up to people over 50 in NJ next week, but they are so unorganized that you can’t even make an appointment. Nothing is available.

3 Likes