What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

In that case my unsolicited vote is for the Caesar salad approach. I love roasted veg. Spring is coming and the salad makes me feel like it is closer.

3 Likes

Gah! It happened again. :point_up_2:t4:

Anyway, it looks lovely @Barca no matter what it is. :relaxed:

1 Like

So not surprised.

1 Like

Right you are, and DH agreed - salad was the winner! Not a classic Caesar since I added red peppers, snap peas and green olives to the mix, and left out the croutons (chicken skin was crispy enough). Call it salad with Caesar dressing :wink:.

15 Likes

Well that was a blur of a month. I’ve been cooking but it hasn’t been elegant or photogenic. I did vote on the what for dinner thread so figured I should put my words where my keystrokes are or whatever equates to that saying.

Anyways. Brined pork chops that I had intended to grill but feeling the lightness of the propane tank, decided on pan searing. Sides of couscous and roasted broccoli. A fun cilantro, lemon, mustard, garlic sauce on the pork.

16 Likes

That all looks so springy and delicious. Welcome back!

2 Likes

Rana brand Italian sausage and mozz ravioli (meh), homemade sauce, sauteed haricots and zucchini, and homegrown collard green salad with pesto, Pecorino, lemon, and pecans.

12 Likes

The angle of the photo and the portrait aspect with the chicken jutting out make this just ridiculouslessly attractive to a hungry me :yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

I tried their lobster ravioli a while back (there’s still some in the freezer) and it was also ok, not great. (Maybe why the rest is still in the freezer :thinking:)

Even though I grew so much last year, I will never not be impressed with those of you who regularly incorporate your own garden produce into meals!

1 Like

100% credit to my phone for that - I have no eye at all for photography and no patience for trying to take good food pics when all I want is to devour it! I worked in the garden all day and did a ridiculous leg workout before dinner so that salad disappeared in a hurry!

1 Like

I bought a ton of stuff from our city’s Japantown last week, and have been making bfasts/lunches in the theme. Tonight was flank steak, marinated all day in smoked shoyu, garlic, ginger, a little brown sugar. With furikake rice and a salad of pickley things. Pic of lunch today, too.

15 Likes

ooh, great idea using the chistorra in a pinch! love that stuff. I find when using most Spanish chorizo you can’t cook it for very long, it just needs to go in at the end to heat up, or it gets hard and tasteless.

1 Like

I love collards but I don’t think I’ve ever had them raw. Do you “massage” them like many people do with kale?

1 Like

Fusion-y Mexican-Malaysian (Mexilaysian?) taco Tuesday. Tacos with beef rendang from the freezer, sambal belacan, onion, and makrut lime leaf.

PXL_20210331_022511987

Daiquiri.

15 Likes

I did a bunch of cooking today, some for dinner tonight, some for tomorrow and later in the week as we are anticipating being a bit out of sorts the next few days.

Tonight: Chinese.

• New entrant! Rice cakes! I looked up a few recipes (as well as Din Tai Fung allergens to get a clue :rofl:), then almost bungled the rice cakes themselves when I put them in the IP to rehydrate… but we made a full recovery! Added cabbage, spinach, and scallions - plus the seasonings. Kid who loves the DTF version is very pleased.
  • Ginger scallion beef (using skirt steak that had been cooked sous vide and frozen)
  • Quorn “chicken” two ways - salt & pepper style for one kid, a savory-spicy sauce for the other (the latter tastes very Indo-Chinese to me even though I did nothing intentional to make it that way)
  • Garlic broccoli
  • Ginger snap peas
  • Soy butter (fresh) shiitake mushrooms

We had some leftover (takeout) chicken corn soup to start and fried rice alongside.

Rest of the cooking was Indian for tomorrow onwards.

(Bunch of pics are in gallery mode - click left or right arrows.)

15 Likes

The usual late night tonight and an early day tomorrow as I have to give a lecture via Zoom in the morning. No booze tonight, though I was craving a Gimlet.

So the usual “lazy night” meal: baked pork chop, Spanish rice and corn, and my only actual cooking for the evening which was string beans sautéed in bacon fat (rendered last week) with garlic and a quick steaming in Bushmills (don’t ask!).

12 Likes

Thanks for the Christorra tip @mariacarmen! Next time I’ll add some just to flavor the beans (and maybe fish it out like a bay leaf) and reserve the rest to top them at the end.

1 Like

In the name of all that is WFD, and the end of the year that has been, my “jump up”. It maybe “run down”
I’ll have to review my inspiration. Anyone kale pancetta, potatoes, salt fish, roasted red pepper.

None of the above! “Cook Down”

Also,

For the record, it was dinner last night, and lunch today.

14 Likes

I had stated what was in the Carnaroli white rice; to several people …

So to repeat:
Italian Carnaroli white rice which has a purple color is due to the following ingredients:
Italian Radicchio (a magenta toned chicory)
Red wine
Herbs
Spices
And other anti oxidant red and green leaves with a magenta vein

The spaghetti is clear, with squid, a slice of guanchiale (pork cheek for taste) and a carabinero, and in French and English, a crevette from Brittany, French Atlantic Coast, red large prawn on ice … A dish we call Mar y Montaña: the sea and the mountain. Very common amongst Michelin restaurants and high end gastronomy venues.

The dessert is a classic Soufflé.

5 Likes

I made coconut chicken curry (adding the dregs of a jar of cashew butter) and cabbage-bell pepper slaw dressed with lemon juice, neutral oil, sugar, salt, chaat masala, toasted black mustard seed, dal mirch (Indian hot ground red pepper, I think?), and cilantro.

17 Likes