What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Bfast for dinner, with old school Farmer John breakfast sausage links. Surprised myself by still really liking them! Hash browns with a little grated onion, cherry tomatoes sauteed in a bit of zhoug, my eggs fried in the zhougy oil, his in the sausage fat. Buttered rye toast for both. A rare treat.

14 Likes

Can’t believe I made it thru this whole thread (well ok I had to scroll past some chats to do it). I thought I’d punk out at about 200, but everything looks so good. I used up my allotted likes about 20 posts ago. :relaxed:

7 Likes

Comforting dinner tonight.

Beef bourguignon from the freezer, with more meat added.

Mashed potatoes (requested by older nephew, which the meal was then built around) - dressed up with cream, chive cream cheese, and truffle salt. Delicious. We all had to stop ourselves.

Sautéed baby spinach with olive oil, garlic, and chili flakes - a whole giant box melted into a few servings.

Roasted kabocha squash - a surprise hit with the dogs, lol.

And roasted cauliflower along with an approximation of my dad’s favorite potatoes (originals are poached in oil… I double cook till very crisp) for the younger kid.

Vegetarians had impossible burgers in place of the beef.

14 Likes

that sounds right up my alley! will be on the look-out for it…

Thanks for the tips! When I tried making them I tried making the batter myself. I got some urad dal from Amazon and just used jasmine rice, that might have been part of the problem along with insufficient fermentation. I think I might try to get some pre-made batter from an Indian grocery someday.

Carbonara for dinner for me too! With bucatini.

16 Likes

Try one of these in the meantime - they work great.

Also, you can steam a large round (in a cake pan) and cut into pieces - or use a cookie cutter if you want circles but don’t have the mold.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VNRRN8V/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013VW1Z52/

1 Like

Couldn’t let this beautiful weather go to waste. A Last Word with French Chartreuse, Japanese gin, Italian Luxardo, and fresh lime juice.

Dinner was pizza. Lazy two nights in a row. And the best part of tonight? PAPER PLATES!

11 Likes

Rancho Gordo Bayo Chocolates (XOXOC-Project) Carrot, Celery, Spring Garlic, Olive Oil, Salt Pork, RG’s Mexican Oregano, Puréed Rehydrated Ancho Chili, Chili Powder, TJ’s Chicken Broth Concentrate + Scallions, Cilantro & Sour Cream

These have thick skins which took quite some time to cook, especially with a traditional stove top method but are worth it - they’re creamy with incredible gravy-like bean broth that’s great over rice!

Perfect as the dried beans look like milk chocolate.

(internet photo)

15 Likes

Ukwaju (Tamarind) Marinated Spicy Chicken Thighs

From Food 52’s Black History Month Virtual Potluck Recipes that @Rooster posted in February. It was quite involved…

Marinated Chicken Thighs for 2 days in Balsamic, Apple Cider Vinegar, Tamarind Paste, Rosemary, Garlic, Tumeric, Paprika, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes.

After marinating you boil the chicken in the excess liquid until it evaporates and concentrates back into the chicken… Yep.

This is where it gets tricky. The recipe calls for making a paste with Royco & Shalimar Masala Spice Mixes + Black Pepper. The creator of this recipe, Kaluhi, is a Kenyan transplant and these spice mixes aren’t readily found in the U.S., but I searched and found the ingredient lists to make my own - Masala Spices, Black Pepper, Chicken Soup Crystals & Corn Starch.

After coating the chicken in the paste you flash fry it in super hot vegetable oil. I used Chosen brand Avocado, Coconut, Safflower Oil blend

Inside Shot

I slathered Carrots in the extra paste & roasted them.

Served w/Mahatma Yellow Rice, the Roasted Carrots & Leftover Chocolate Bayo Beans

It was sooo good and the house smelled incredible for days!:heart:

15 Likes

I’m going to have to try that.

Just a general KUDOS to all of you home cooks!!! I gotta tell ya, I can sit here and drool all day looking at all the wonderful plates you people are putting out!!! Although I haven’t had much time to cook and contribute myself, I am watching and enjoying all of you!! The quality of your photo’s are fantastic too, no clue what phones/camera’s you guys use but some of you are unbelievable!!! When I post I put the “K” in Kuality" lol

Anywho…Kudos again!!

14 Likes

Dinner last night - five spice pork tenderloin with cabbage, brown basmati rice, chile crisp. Good, but time for a store run for fresh produce.

9 Likes

That sounds really good. Did you make it up or follow a recipe?

Both, @ChristinaM, I had it in my head, and then found a recipe to work. We didn’t have mushrooms, scallions or red bell pepper, so we subbed in green pepper. Here is the recipe.
https://sunbasket.com/recipe/chinese-five-spice-pork-stir-fry-with-cabbage-and-red-peppers

1 Like

Here’s the recipe.

There’s a link to another fried chix recipe in this post of Kaluhi’s that was also helpful in making this dish. I’d like to get that deep red color she has, possibly something in the Shalimar spice mix or more paprika. :thinking: The other thing is I’d thin out the paste a bit or coat with less next time.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

I had this last night - talk about a lazy cocktail! i did a splash of sparkling water to it…

4 Likes

Thanks! Any reason this wouldn’t work with legs?

I think it’d be great with legs.

1 Like

That looks like an excellent and refreshing drink!

1 Like