What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Second all @Lambchop’s suggestions, and also, binding for anything with ground meat - meatballs, meatloaf, and so on.

But if you have a lot, maybe meringues or pavlova is the ticket!

4 Likes

Yes - faux idli or faux dhokla made in idli molds. It’s just the green moong batter, steamed.

For your idli experiments: start with an instant packet (gits or mtr) - that will give you an idea of the right outcome at home (which is different than restaurant idlis).

Then try homemade batter - but only if you are really into it for some reason!

We usually use the instant mix or ready batter from the indian store (ask or look in the refrigerated section if there’s a store near you).

Except when we can’t make it to the indian store - you know, because the pandemic goes on and on :woman_facepalming:t2:

Also - yes, fermentation plays a big part - the batter looked “done” a day before it got correctly fluffy.

Plus the “secret” ingredient at home is always Eno fruit salt - available on Amazon (I ran out of that too, so I’m back to basics - citric acid and baking soda).

2 Likes

Thanks @Lambchop @Saregama

I should remember to freeze them next time!

Plan to make some macarons and give them away. Personally I don’t like meringue very much, far too sweet for me. Not a big fan of macarons except tart ones, like lemon, raspberry or passion fruit flavours.

I once saw a recipe of egg white omelette…

3 Likes

Not my thing… I don’t love the flavor of the white, the yolk makes it tolerable!

Good idea on macarons - also generous, I’d be eating them all mysef :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been curious about the japanese gins but I drink so infrequently at home that I haven’t ventured to try them yet.

There are some interesting indian ones that I’ve seen friends post about, will have to pick up the next time I’m there, because the artisanal stuff never makes it out of the country.

1 Like

It’s a favorite here!

1 Like

6 Likes

Looks yum. I don’t have any mango but I do have a big piece of salmon. How’d you make it?

1 Like

Vertically roasted jerk chicken, coconut-ginger black beans and rice, and veg roasted under the chicken. Next time I wouldn’t put the wet marinade under the skin.

14 Likes

Sort of like this, but started in a hot pan, skinless, with skin side up, then flipped when seared, glaze applied, and finished about 6 inches below a medium high broiler.
Not sure if this link will take you to the recipe, but the recipe in this book is what I’ve used.

Does it sound like I’ve done it a few times? Maybe every Monday for 20 years.

4 Likes

Some of the Indian ones (and non-Indian craft gins) tend to be too peppery. There is one called Opihr that is like drinking a peppermill.

That’s where a lot of these brands go wrong: too much spice. My mom went to Vermont two years ago and brought me back this absolutely beautiful bottle of local craft gin. Unfortunately the taste did not match the look. It was like drinking Pinesol. Too potent for a martini, even too noxious for a G & T. My curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the price. $65. I almost died.

3 Likes

Got it! Thanks!

1 Like

Very pretty.

1 Like

Crust looks great!

Your underskirt looks perfect.

2 Likes

Holy man. You’re killing it. That skin! :yum:

2 Likes

Quick dinner tonight: Fettuccine Carbonara with pancetta and sauteed spinach. Wine.

14 Likes

That same thought is probably on loop in my husband’s head.

2 Likes

I brought back a bottle of something chartreuse-colored from Montreal on someone’s recommendation - still haven’t opened it.

2 Likes

I got the Cicerchia in my latest RG Bean Club box but haven’t done anything with them yet. Supposedly they’re a little toxic if you eat too much. :grimacing: So I think I’ll cook half a bag at a time instead of a whole one with leftovers.

1 Like