What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

When I was a kid I had an uncle who used Accent seasoning liberally on everything and I remember it being particularly good on popcorn. Mainly MSG, salt and chili. I’ve never bought MSG to cook with myself.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight - a freezer dive and clean out the fridge night. Turkey, black bean and cheese Chimichangas with corn, avocado and radish salad. The chimis were inspired by the burrito thread. Whole wheat tortillas, filled with ground turkey mixture, and cheese, folded and brushed with o oil, cooked in air fryer. Worked for us.

12 Likes

I’m liking all the sous vide . Love this tool . 30 hours for the ribs. Exciting.

1 Like

Probably didn’t need 30h. Also not convinced the pressure cooker doesn’t work just as well.

But the rub was very good, and the bake gave an almost-professional crust.

So, happy outcome.

2 Likes

I’m learning the sous vide . As I go . Keeping mental notes . Trial and error . So fun . Cheers .:wine_glass:

2 Likes

Mixed Indian for dinner.

Kids had pudas (crepes) from homemade batter (green moong, urad). I thought the adults were going to eat other things, but apparently homemade pudas are irresistible - everyone but me ate them.

Green beans on the side, and sambhar and coconut chutney from the freezer

I ate swordfish with the sambhar and beans.

Then I baked a cake inspired by @Rooster.

16 Likes

Are those idli in the first picture? They look nice and airy. I’ve tried making idli a couple times and they always come out dense and not airy. Maybe because I’m not using idli rice. And/or not fermenting it enough.

Last night was the usual Wednesday Chinese takeout and since I’m off for a couple of days, the perfect night to try a new gin. This is a Japanese gin called Roku, from the legendary Suntory. It uses botanicals native to Japan (Sakura flower and leaf, Yuzu peel, Sencha and Gyokuro teas, and Sansho pepper). I don’t know what any of those things are, but this is a pretty smooth spirit, though slightly bitter (this will make a great G & T). As recommended, I garnished it with a sliver of ginger. It is similar to London Dry Gins but different enough that it stands alone.

11 Likes

I absolutely need to do this, especially there are too many egg whites in different containers. Nobody likes them!

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Sansho pepper has quite a character, I discovered it only recently. I guess the slight bitterness comes from the citrus peel and teas.

1 Like

@naf - you can freeze them, but that may be counter to your purpose…
Some suggestions for use: coconut macaroons, meringue cookies, Pavlova, meringue toppings for pie or desserts, seven minute frosting, angel food cake, vegetable scrambles, frittatas, and really in many recipes you can substitute whites for whole egg. Let us know what you come up with!

2 Likes

Second all @Lambchop’s suggestions, and also, binding for anything with ground meat - meatballs, meatloaf, and so on.

But if you have a lot, maybe meringues or pavlova is the ticket!

4 Likes

Yes - faux idli or faux dhokla made in idli molds. It’s just the green moong batter, steamed.

For your idli experiments: start with an instant packet (gits or mtr) - that will give you an idea of the right outcome at home (which is different than restaurant idlis).

Then try homemade batter - but only if you are really into it for some reason!

We usually use the instant mix or ready batter from the indian store (ask or look in the refrigerated section if there’s a store near you).

Except when we can’t make it to the indian store - you know, because the pandemic goes on and on :woman_facepalming:t2:

Also - yes, fermentation plays a big part - the batter looked “done” a day before it got correctly fluffy.

Plus the “secret” ingredient at home is always Eno fruit salt - available on Amazon (I ran out of that too, so I’m back to basics - citric acid and baking soda).

2 Likes

Thanks @Lambchop @Saregama

I should remember to freeze them next time!

Plan to make some macarons and give them away. Personally I don’t like meringue very much, far too sweet for me. Not a big fan of macarons except tart ones, like lemon, raspberry or passion fruit flavours.

I once saw a recipe of egg white omelette…

3 Likes

Not my thing… I don’t love the flavor of the white, the yolk makes it tolerable!

Good idea on macarons - also generous, I’d be eating them all mysef :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been curious about the japanese gins but I drink so infrequently at home that I haven’t ventured to try them yet.

There are some interesting indian ones that I’ve seen friends post about, will have to pick up the next time I’m there, because the artisanal stuff never makes it out of the country.

1 Like

It’s a favorite here!

1 Like

6 Likes

Looks yum. I don’t have any mango but I do have a big piece of salmon. How’d you make it?

1 Like

Vertically roasted jerk chicken, coconut-ginger black beans and rice, and veg roasted under the chicken. Next time I wouldn’t put the wet marinade under the skin.

14 Likes