Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

@Rooster - simple is great, but was it GOOD, or a make-again? TIA!

Def tasty! Moist and light. I will make it several diff ways for brunch, parties, snack.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, and good to know - I’ll save the recipe. Might be a good way to utilize some reduced sugar homemade jams even…not that there’s a huge surplus after supplying everyone…@Rooster. But gearing up for fresh summer fruits again!

2 Likes

What a good idea!

1 Like

From that book, I added to my repertoire the merguez with herby yogurt (that yogurt is amazing on its own too) and Indecision chicken. The lasagna is a good one too, and easy.

2 Likes

@Rooster made me do it… :grin:

I made the Afternoon Cake from Small Victories - it’s an olive oil cake with a bit of almond flour, which makes it denser / richer.

I made a few modifications for the audience here - GF flour (actually, protein pancake mix, because the AP flour we have at the moment creates playdoh…) instead of AP, finely ground cashews instead of almond flour, orange shrub instead of juice, and what I thought was meyer lemon zest, but turned out to be calamansi :joy:.

I expected a denser cake for the swaps, but it was about right for a cake with nut flour.

Olive oil cakes are typically better day 2 onwards, but I’ve dug in already, and it’s delicious! I expect the citrus will intensify tomorrow.

Thanks @Rooster!

7 Likes

Interesting subs! Extra points for Fun fork design :yum:

2 Likes

Last night after dinner, I baked a half (square) loaf of sandwich bread, which I’m experimenting with to see if I can get close to indian bakery bread (soft, sturdy, yeasty).

This is my best version yet, though not yeasty enough, and a bit richer than the target (this dough had both milk and egg.)

It made a nice snack (with butter), and also a great cheesetoast for lunch.

I have a tweaked version proving in the fridge - will bake tomorrow and see if the yeastiness is closer to what I want.

9 Likes

Looks good and fluffy! Did you slice with a regular bread knife?

1 Like

Beautiful loaf and I love your half loaf pan and the sandwich press!

1 Like

Looks wonderful.

1 Like

Thank you. Was scrumptuous too …

1 Like

Lovely tart …

Yes, the same inexpensive one I’ve mentioned before - Mercer culinary.

1 Like

Thanks! I do love that square pan - I hesitated for a long time because it was more than I thought it should cost, but it’s exactly the right size for me!

I do not like the sandwich press - aside from the fact that it’s way too heavy and unwieldy for indoors, the angle on the sides is insufficient. You want it angled down 1/2-1” at the edges of the bread so it seals. This one has maybe 1/4” which results in cheese leaking out and making a greasy mess.

1 Like

It’s gauche but I actually think plain white squishy sandwich bread makes the ultimate custardy French toast.

1 Like

Saving this list!

1 Like

Even when I prepare the batter in a blender the night before, I let the batter sit on the counter while the buttered popover pan preheats in the oven.

1 Like

Two more half loaves today - one gluten free, one another regular sandwich bread trial

The gluten free one was surprisingly good - good enough for a sandwich, rather than the usual toast (which can mask many inadequacies). I need to tweak it a bit for height and lightness.

The regular loaf was better than yesterday’s, but got a bit over-baked as the thermometer was in need of battery replacement. But it was also good enough that I had a sandwich after more than a year! And only a few slices left again, so that’s good. I think I’ll skip the gluten next time and see how that goes.

6 Likes

Made some lemon macarcon today. It’s a sweet almond biscuit, very hip a few years ago. I can’t say I’m a big fan, I don’t like very sweet desserts. I can only eat when it’s of lemon, lime, raspberry, passion fruit or chocolate flavour. But it’s great to get rid of the extra egg white I had in the fridge, and today I made it for a crowd for a party, so everyone had only 2 or 3, no sugar overdose. A tart lemon cream was sandwiched between the biscuits.

Before baked.

Cooked.

Last time I made it was like some 8 to 10 years ago, with a simple oven in my old flat. I’m glad that I still remember the base. The macarons were actually quite enjoyable, I guess I would make them from time to time. My food colouring was old, probably expired. The thing didn’t turn very yellow. LOL!

13 Likes