What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

A couple of dinners from last week:

17 Likes

Hanger steak with chimichurri, pan-roasted potatoes (started in the microwave), and roasted broccoli.

Kids had mexican - quesadillas and “crunch wraps” with beans, broccoli, and guacamole.

I made (GF) brownies for dessert - Alice Medrich’s cocoa brownies.

16 Likes

Oh my goodness @paryzer! I especially loved hearing it sizzle! But if looks could kill! I’m sure it tasted as good, as well!

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop! Mrs. P nailed it this time. last time it was cooked more medium than medium rare, but this time she took it out of the oven early since it still cooks while it’s sitting. It was nice and juicy. That stuffing is amazing. Thanks again to @gcaggiano for the inspiration and recipe.

7 Likes

Yesterday were the NCAA D1 Wrestling finals so I grazed the afternoon and evening.

17 Likes

Nominations time for COTQ - come on over and hit me with your best ideas! Spring 2021 (Apr-June) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

1 Like

Last night, BF made Chicken Parmesan. Always going the extra mile, he used single whole breasts which he then butterflied and pounded thin. The end result was this absolutely massive cutlet (which would have made for a good Schnitzel). Normally I go with two thin cutlets when preparing this meal, but this way was much more restaurant quality. A delicious meal, as always. There were leftovers!

There was also a martini. Of course!

19 Likes

Dinner at sister’s. Dungeness crab :crab: meat in a puttanesca-ish prep and homemade pasta.

19 Likes

17 Likes

Canned? CANNED? Only joking. It looks absolutely delicious. +1

One is tomato paste (passata) and the other is pulp … these are both combined with the fresh tomatoes you see in the sauté skillet. To give body as we had no more tomato sauce jarred for the pasta … We have spent a whole weekend making tomato sauce.

Yes, I had the boccatini and my dear had the short pasta …

Nice … simple lunch.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Truly I was only joking. It looks delicious and the presentation is lovely. Far and away from my skill set! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you.

It was quite good !

As you can see the products are “bio” (ecological) … and all exported from Italia.

1 Like

Crosspost…

2 Likes

Gorgeous colors!

1 Like

Did some gathering of tax paperwork today in preparation for filing with the Fed and state. Because I forgot it’s mid-March and both gubmints will eventually want their pound of flesh, despite having already taken a lot.

So easy dinner…my version of Bertucci’s Silano pizza using half a package of pizza dough, leftover chopped chicken and asparagus, roasted broccoli, and a lemon garlic-herb cream sauce with some Boursin, heavy cream, lemon juice, and Penzeys Italian Herb seasoning. Topped with grated mozz and a sprinkle of Parm-Reg before baking on the pizza stone in the preheated oven.

Half for tonight, half for lunch tomorrow.

And wine. And it was good.

18 Likes

Did you do that in an ordinary oven? I can never make a great home pizza. “Good” or the adult version of an English muffin homemade pizza is the best I can ever do. ( please don’t tell me I’m the only one who made homemade pizza using English muffins and “fake” and Kraft singles…am ??)

1 Like

Reverse sear ribeye - I bought a whole prime rib roast from Costco last month and it had been wet aging in the fridge ever since, so I decided it was time to crack it open. I cut it into 1.5-2lb steaks and put a nice 1.5 lb specimen in a 200 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until it reached 95ish degrees internal. Short rest and quick sear in rendered beef fat got me here:

Very rare, just the way we like it. I might go up to 100 degrees before searing next time, but not much beyond that, because this was terrific. Ramp pesto from the freezer and Buffalo roasted cauliflower alongside.

11 Likes

@Saregama - thanks for the Bo luc lac inspiration! Loosely followed your simple recipe and Andrea Nguyen’s, but i used rib eye - turned out nice and tender. Marinated all day in fish sauce, dark & light soy, garlic, sugar, etc. Also made the “dipping” sauce for it, with a ton of lime juice, sliced shallots, lots of black pepper, minced garlic & bird eye chili, a teensy bit of minced ginger, a little sugar. It went over the meat, lettuce, and tomatoes. Also made Vietnamese garlic noodles because i had fresh pasta from my sister’s. Gahh, they’re never not completely delicious. Umami bomb dinner, all the way.

16 Likes

We had a spectacular dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ which ended up being comped by the very generous and gracious Chef Woo. If you recall my last dinner there in an igloo in the freezing cold was not optimal. The Chef felt so bad that he comped our meal despite my protest. I left a nice tip for the server. I also bought a bottle of wine for the Chef, as I have been doing the last few months.
I enjoyed an awesome Korean chili poutine with kimchi, cheddar, gruyere cheese, pickled jalapeños, and ground meat. I also had an amazing bone marrow with kimchi, some spicy pork and bulgogi tacos, monster chicken and ham sandwich. Mrs. P enjoyed scallops with wild mushrooms, mushroom risotto, and kimchi puree. We also had French onion soup (not pictured). It all went great with a nice Argentinian Cabernet.

17 Likes