What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

That pool of buttah… :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, 2 nights. We will be back in a few months as well. It is unbelievable in person and we already love that area. My wife has a few clients in town.

1 Like

That’s exactly it. It softens the outside of the cut-up potatoes, which then absorbs a bit more olive oil for the roasting part. I can’t tell you how long I steamed them - depends on the size of the pieces of potatoes. I think I did these large cut-up fingerlings for maybe 10 minutes or so? A fork went into the outside slowly but easily enough, and slowed down once the tines hit the inside still-uncooked part.

After par-steaming, I let them sit in the pan I’m going to use for roasting for about 10 minutes or so to slightly cool off, then drizzle the olive oil over top, sprinkle with s/p and whatever else I’m using, toss them carefully so they don’t break up, and then roast in my convection toaster oven, stirring every 10-15 minutes so they don’t stick and so all sides are able to get browned and crispy.

3 Likes

I really wish they’d move the Flag button away from the “Like” button. Or is it the Delete Trashcan button away from the Edit button? @naf or @NotJrvedivici or any other Mod, is there a way to “UNdelete” after someone hits the trash can? Not sure which button is causing people to hit the delete?

3 Likes

I agree. The trash button needs to be moved away from the ‘fork and knife’ like button, or at least have a pop up asking if you are sure you want to delete your post. I always seem to ‘fat finger’ the delete button instead of the like button when trying to view who liked my post. You then have to flag a moderator to recover your post, which is a waste of their time.

3 Likes

If you discover this mistake it instantly, you have a recover button "turn around arrow " (in the place of the trash button). After the delay (an hour, I think), please contact a mod to recover the post.

3 Likes

brussels sprouts sounds like a great compromise!

^ Thanks for mentioning this @naf. Now I know that I’m actually trying the right step to restore my posts. However, the platform never allows me—I always get a message that says I have tried to perform the action too many times even though it’s just my first try.

Minor in the scheme of things. :grinning:

3 Likes

I did like any of the cuts I found at the market. I hope I’m not too late.

Recently, there seems to be a bug with the system update. Post rescued by mod, the system will automatically delete it after 24 hours (as planned in the first place after pressing the delete button), so keep an eye on that when it happens and let mods know if the post disappears.

2 Likes

You’re the best - thanks!

4 Likes

You’re welcome. The problem is reported here. Hope this will be fixed soon.

3 Likes

I moved the delete button all the way to the right. Let me know if it helps!

10 Likes

Now that we got the garbage can moved, can I ask for a status on my own board?

Thanks!

@LindaWhit looks like everything has been taken care of for you? I think I’m going to go back to sleep now, please flag again if I can be of assistance!! : - p

3 Likes

WOOT! Thanks!

Your work here is done, NotJr. Enjoy your nap - considering it’s National Nap Day, you’re doing exactly what you should be doing. :wink:

3 Likes

Hey @Rooster – I assume you mean for corned beef? I went on Friday afternoon, and they were just finishing unboxing the corned beef, so I may have been lucky. I always look for smaller cuts, since I don’t want to force feed myself 4 lbs of it. Even with that, I noticed it was slim pickings this year. It was flat or point; in the past, they’ve also had a few brand choices, with one being a less cured or additive-free version. Couldn’t find those healthier options anywhere near me this year. Hope you have better luck at another place!

1 Like

Not much to look at, but really tasty. I made the Omsom starter larb, using pork instead of chicken, doctored up with minced thai chilies and Maggi seasoning. Made a very inauthentic thai eggplant - no fresh basil so i used mint and DRIED basil - not ideal, but it worked. Jasmine rice and salad of hothouse cukes, mint/cilantro, shallots/scallions, in a nuoc cham-ish dressing.

I liked Omsom’s lemongrass starter better than I did the larb.

13 Likes

Espaniaish inspired menu for dinner tonight. Gambas al ajillo, tortilla with a blob of aioli, salad of baby spring greens, marinated carrots (zanahorías aliñadas) green olives, roasted piquillo peppers, avocado, red onion with a sherry vinegar dressing and manchego cheese. A French roll to mop up the garlicky oil and a G&T. I fried some Padron peppers I had in the freezer but they were so unbelievably hot I couldn’t eat them.
IMG_2826

14 Likes

Ground pork stir fried with garlic, ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar, dark soy, and scallions. Served with steamed rice, and some banchan styled kimchi cukes and marinated bean sprouts. The fam ate it all up, and then my youngest asked why we always resort to Asian styled meals. So now I need to do some ethnic explorations. Mexican, Indian, and Middle Eastern were specifically mentioned :slight_smile:

13 Likes

beautiful job on that tortilla!