What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

looks great - we had the same idea! i did very small portions of the carrots & cabbage (two small carrots each, a wedge of cabbage each) and boiled them in the corned beef broth, so they were very flavorful. (psst - St. Paddy’s day in the US is actually on the 17th. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Do tell us more… (this sounds like a speed-up trick I do with whole cauliflower…)

1 Like

Now THAT used to be a (delicious) splurge!

Pho Pasteur was the “attainable” option (but even there, bo luc lac was spendy!)

2 Likes

What I had at hand was sirloin flap, so that’s what I used. Sort-of steak tips anyway, right?

I merged a couple of recipes (Slanted Door, Andrea Nguyen, etc), but it was simpler than other Viet dishes imo - dark soy sauce, anchovy paste instead of fish sauce, garlic paste, black pepper, sugar, and a bit of gratuitous lemongrass.

Cooked sous vide for a while, cubed and seared before eating, with a bit of the sv liquid/sauce added in.

Also made shallot “dressing” which went in at the end, off-heat - shallots, s&p, vinegar, sugar, and some chili. Finished the lot with cilantro and mint.

4 Likes

Horseradish from the Russian grocery. I really miss parking on Geary . Walking the neighborhood , listening to the local dialect. Those heavy pieces of sheet cake
With some of this and some of that waiting to get home and cook the pelmini with a boatload of other products from the local shops .

5 Likes

More sous vide cooking. Rib eye steak , mashed potatoes. The star was . Red cabbage , with onion , green apple A dollop of butter , and lingonberry jam. Cooking has improved after vacuum sealing. Cheers .

15 Likes

That sounds great! Thank you so much.

1 Like

And it turns out the horseradish was made in Canada!

It was a pleasure being in that neighborhood again. I have rarely ventured into other areas of the city in the past year.

1 Like

My mom’s pan-roasted chicken (because, as you may recall, I didn’t get to eat very much of it last time :rofl:).

Charred onions and pan-roasted potatoes, the latter of which were a sore disappointment because someone ate my russets and replaced them with awful waxy minis.

Cauliflower to finish the beige-is-delicious theme.

14 Likes

Lol, figures that I can’t even remember what day it is anymore. Life in a repetitive cycle during a pandemic… sigh

I did cook the veggies in the corned beef broth afterwards (about 5 minutes in the pressure cooker), but it still was just kind of ho-hum. The texture is a big killer, since everything gets quite soft. And quite honestly, just slightly salted and beefy and carrots and cabbage probably aren’t my thing. I think next year, I’ll roast the potatoes and carrots instead. I’ll skip the cabbage as a standalone side, or I may just make brussels sprouts instead.

3 Likes

[Restoring post below that I deleted by accident. —->]

This past weekend we enjoyed a couple of extra nice dinners, by virtue of having planned a pre St. Patrick’s Day Zoom dinner with friends.

I ordered portions of a special takeaway meal in advance from a local cafe, and then we swapped food outdoors with our pals.

Our corned beef dinners were delicious. The work was done for us, so all we did was warm and enjoy a Saturday night supper.

Our friends had brought us a few different types of smoked seafood, thinking we could enjoy them as appetizers. I set aside smoked mussels for our Sunday dinner so that we could have them over pasta in a spicy tomato sauce (freezer pull from summer tomatoes).

Chocolate Guinness stout cupcakes, also bought from our local cafe, for dessert both nights. Forgot to take a snap.

12 Likes

Did you stay at that hotel? I have been following them on Instagram for years but never made it up there yet. The rooms look so fun and the owners obviously have a wildly creative eye!

1 Like

That pool of buttah… :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, 2 nights. We will be back in a few months as well. It is unbelievable in person and we already love that area. My wife has a few clients in town.

1 Like

That’s exactly it. It softens the outside of the cut-up potatoes, which then absorbs a bit more olive oil for the roasting part. I can’t tell you how long I steamed them - depends on the size of the pieces of potatoes. I think I did these large cut-up fingerlings for maybe 10 minutes or so? A fork went into the outside slowly but easily enough, and slowed down once the tines hit the inside still-uncooked part.

After par-steaming, I let them sit in the pan I’m going to use for roasting for about 10 minutes or so to slightly cool off, then drizzle the olive oil over top, sprinkle with s/p and whatever else I’m using, toss them carefully so they don’t break up, and then roast in my convection toaster oven, stirring every 10-15 minutes so they don’t stick and so all sides are able to get browned and crispy.

3 Likes

I really wish they’d move the Flag button away from the “Like” button. Or is it the Delete Trashcan button away from the Edit button? @naf or @NotJrvedivici or any other Mod, is there a way to “UNdelete” after someone hits the trash can? Not sure which button is causing people to hit the delete?

3 Likes

I agree. The trash button needs to be moved away from the ‘fork and knife’ like button, or at least have a pop up asking if you are sure you want to delete your post. I always seem to ‘fat finger’ the delete button instead of the like button when trying to view who liked my post. You then have to flag a moderator to recover your post, which is a waste of their time.

3 Likes

If you discover this mistake it instantly, you have a recover button "turn around arrow " (in the place of the trash button). After the delay (an hour, I think), please contact a mod to recover the post.

3 Likes

brussels sprouts sounds like a great compromise!

^ Thanks for mentioning this @naf. Now I know that I’m actually trying the right step to restore my posts. However, the platform never allows me—I always get a message that says I have tried to perform the action too many times even though it’s just my first try.

Minor in the scheme of things. :grinning:

3 Likes