What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

They’re parotta / Tamil or Malaysian paratha - not North indian paratha.

Their indian food is pretty authentic for the most part - made either in India or Canada (large North Indian population).

4 Likes

Every winter good friends of ours invite us over for a dinner of pinkelwurst, kale and pears. Needless to say it wasn’t on the menu this year. Instead, they graciously gave us some pinkelwurst to make ourselves. Pinkelwurst is a German sausage made with oats or barley along with other traditional sausage ingredients. Not many people like it unless they grew up eating it but we’ve become quite fond of it. While our home cooked version was good it wasn’t the same without friends. Hopefully next year.

12 Likes

TBH the chicken had been chilling in the freezer for awhile and I don’t remember exactly what recipe I used - it might have been this one https://thewoksoflife.com/easy-five-spice-baked-chicken/

It was marinated before freezing so I just defrosted it overnight and roasted at 375 until done.

Your meals look delicious!

2 Likes

Are you on the west coast? I got this one from my local Safeway where they were sadly no longer on sale (they were about $11/lb cooked).

The proverbial shit ton of sour cream. Or so I believe.

3 Likes

Thanks, makes sense in the contexts

I love saying “pinkelwurst”! I’m not familiar with it, but what’s not to like?

1 Like

Drove to my local Petco in heavy enough rain only to find they were closed at 12:30 in the afternoon EXCEPT for grooming. :flushed: Thankfully I have another 30 lbs of litter to tide over the eatpee&poop machines who reside with me acting as their servant. I’ll go sometime next week on my way home from work.

I wasn’t in the mood for much for dinner, so a bacon cheeseburger with caramelized onions on a lightly toasted Brioche roll and Lamb Weston frozen French fries schprinkled with Cross Island Fleur de Sel from my friend’s Salter’s Point Provisions stash of locally made sea salt was dinner.

And wine. Duh.

18 Likes

A really ugly plate…that ate well.

Sardinian braised lamb neck with fregola, pecorino, dilled zucchini.

14 Likes

Yes, for a little bit longer. I will check Instacart.

They come and go from WF.

Fondue night.

A big salad, fondue (Murray’s), baguette (regular and GF), fingerling potatoes.

For dessert, the younger kid and I made GF madeleine batter earlier in the evening, and I baked them after dinner. Very interesting. Good outcome!

16 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Drew’s in Keyport, NJ. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that might be interested.

4 Likes

Lamb neck . I just fell back in my chair reading this .
In a very good way . Bravo.

1 Like

Thanks @Mr_Happy. Thighs look nice & juicy.

1 Like

You know how it is - some people (maybe not HOs) are not comfortable eating something unfamiliar.

1 Like

Have you watched the Stanley Tucci show on Italy? The first episode features a dish like this!

3 Likes

Made Dungeness crab cakes @ seester’s last night. Made with minimal filler - a very little bit of crushed-up panko, egg, mayo, scallions, parsley, Old Bay seasoning. They were very wet, barely held together, but turned out great. super moist, and the crab was the star.

Tartar sauce made with mayo, Old Bay, lemon juice, & diced bread and butter pickles.

Freezer-burned tater tots were a disappointment.

11 Likes

I thought of that dish too. I saved the episode just to make that dish! It seems almost like zucchini confit on pasta! :heart:

1 Like

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

10 Likes