What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

Wow, your ragu looks mouthwatering. Applause, applause.

Interesting another cheese(y) based sauce, I thought for sure it was a pesto creation by the picture. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh - being sick on vacation is such a drag. Couple of yrs ago, the 4 of us had 6 days in London, with 2 travel days, for spring break. And over those 8 days, all 4 of us were sick, with me getting sick the day before we went, and then another family member dropping every 48 hrs. So many plans for the trip, practically nothing actually accomplished. Particularly in terms of eating out. Never had more than 2 people who felt ok at the same time.

Leftovers for dinner last night - Xmas eve posole with cilantro and onion salad on top :upside_down_face: and cornbread. Enjoyed as much or more than before.

14 Likes

It looks extra saucy. Do you make your own? Recipe?

Nomination time for COTQ. Come on, 2021! Winter 2021 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

We’d have anarchy in the U.S. if they tried to make it law. But I personally know 5+ people who contracted Covid after gathering with peeps from different households for Tday. Two are severely ill in the hospital. :cry: This sh_t is real.

Ditto! Not quite the same but last year we got sliced Jamón lbérico de Bellota (acorn fed) from a local gourmet shop. It was delicious. :heart:

1 Like

Sorry they got sick, hope all of them will recover without consequences. Stay safe @TheCookie !!

2 Likes

That is a shame @Sasha - especially for an international destination, with all the travel time, and the things you want to see and do, not to mention the food. Unfortunately it’s happened to me/us more than the once. There was that time in Mendocino, when the 3 of us got strep throat, spaced a couple days apart. At least H was well, until later, then it was his turn. 2 trips to the ER on consecutive nights. No fun! Oh, DD1 was only 2…

I made chicken “Caesar” salads with leftover papardelle. Hit the spot.

PXL_20201228_221744597~2

11 Likes

Used up the last of the small beef tenderloin from Christmas in my beef stroganoff. The shallots and cognac in this recipe tie back to the cognac sauce used on that tenderloin. So I used the rest of that sauce as well.

Served on egg noodles with a side of peas and corn.

Wine. Yeah, it’s Monday. But it’s a short week. So it’s virtual Wednesday for me. Ahhh, who am I kidding? I don’t care WHAT day it is this week. Drinks all week!

20 Likes

Hey all - here are my holiday eats at my sister’s house over the weekend, and beyond. No fancy tablescapes, we eat standing up over the sink because DOGS. No less fun/festive/delish!

Xmas Eve snacks were Cheese (Mt. Tam, a smoked blue, goat brie), duck rillettes, bbq chips, D’Artagnan’s black truffle butter (yum), mandarins just for showing off, a little dark pistachio chocolate, and Mumm pink bubbles.

Xmas eve dinner - potato latkes with sour cream, dilled smoked salmon, and golden trout roe with more bubbles…

followed by TJs eggnog spiked with some fabulous Armagnac my sister bought in Paris in 2014. Dreamy.

somewhere in there there was a slice of boysenberry pie made for me by my writing group leader, with fresh whipped cream AND vanilla bean ice cream.

Xmas day bfast snacking: Added D’Artagnan’s Pate de Foie Gras, cheeses, rillettes, truffle butter, etc., and a glass of pink Cava.

Xmas dinner: Snake River 6 oz eye of rib eye filet, sous-vided, that we split, potatoes fondant, and creamed spinach.

Sunday night, seester rolled fresh pasta and we steamed Alaskan snow crab leg clusters, both with oodles of garlicky butter. I also added some TJs cashew/truffle pesto (which I loved) into my pasta. This was probably my favorite meal of the weekend. Trader Joe’s finest (Brut Reserve Sparkling Wine) to go with.

Alaskan snow crab legs

crab and fresh pasta

fresh pasta with crab, truffle pesto

And finally, last night, back at home, we had our usual fries brunch…

and for dinner, the BF used the leftover pasta to make a carbonara-ish dish with a mushroom bouillon base, and shredded brussels sprouts. and my favorite - roasted red peppers with anchovies! he doesn’t even like them, so i got three to his one. tiny salad on the side.

yeah, water and dust is called for the rest of the week, but you know how that goes… i’m already hungry for dinner!

hoping you all had a wonderful holiday, and I’ll be checking out your fab meals now.

20 Likes

Wow! What an amazing weekend of food. Every thing looks and sounds wonderful.

3 Likes

Any good? I almost bought a bottle.

1 Like

@mariacarmen, you had the feast de résistance this past week! :wink:

1 Like

hah - love that, good one! and thanks, i did!

1 Like

so, haven’t started on the dust diet yet… BF cooked again. Defrosted my pork dumplings, steamed/pan-fried a few, soup with a couple of others. Also, a wonderful and much needed veggie stir fry with Chinese sausage in a sauce of soy, sriracha, hoisin, a little sugar, sesame oil, etc. Rice on the side. I’m going to get used to him cooking again and not want him to stop.

18 Likes

more than decent! This is the second time I’ve bought it, so, yeah, i like it.

1 Like

Dinner from a box: Italian import, tagliatelle with a jar of truffled pesto. Hadn’t much hope for it but it was really quite good. I added a few grilled prawns.

And some sliced navels

13 Likes

thank you!

1 Like