What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

I finally made risotto.
Only sort-of from scratch.
A packaged lemon risotto that I divided in half.
Used Wegmans culinary stock, so a bit browner than it should have been.

Pan-sauteed shrimp from the Gulf and asparagus alongside. With wine.

Didn’t have the Gordon Ramsay-approved lava-like looseness to it, but was properly al dente. So I give myself a C+.

And I need to buy a couple of dinner plate-sized shallow bowls if I think I’m going to try this again. Note to Self: when you see it at Home Goods? BUY IT.

16 Likes

Locally-made smoked jalapeño and cheese sausages, green salad, and tots.

13 Likes

Waiting patiently for carburetori and alternatori. And strange ones with six or eight bumps on top called cappidistributori. :grin:

Also linguine with a ring molded into one end, dippisticchi. :grin:

7 Likes

Your grading needs to be revised upwards for excessive harshness. If it was al dente and tasted good, you win.

6 Likes

Thanks. Coming from you that means a lot.

We had another outstanding dinner at Drew’s. Pictures and details in the link below for those that might be interested.

4 Likes

Bombay Seafood Curry (shrimp and scallops) over basmati rice. We cheated with Aruj jar simmer sauce. We’re sorry we did. Normally we use Patak’s when in a pinch which only requires minimal doctoring. We did so much work to this that we might as well have made our own from scratch (which the BF has the patience for and is great at). Overall palatable but far from what I know we are capable of.

13 Likes

Seriously drooling… and bookmarking that pasta!

Linda,

Your risotto looks lovely; however, if you prepare a risotto; you should use Carnaroli, Italian Rice which shall provide you with a creamier texture.

Also as you can see from my photograph that my dear took, you could of used the prawns in the risotto verses cooking separately to provide the flavour of the sea …

Risotto alla Gamberi is name of the dish.

Another key point would be to use shellfish stock or a fish stock plus, white wine and of course French butter at 82% butter fat and aged Reggiano Parmigiani …

Gordon Ramsay´s cookbooks are good but – the rice is very dark – this is due to the stock used.

7 Likes

Oh, also steam-in-bag creamed spinach. Meh. “Product of Belgium” but still lousy.

Thanks, @Barca! I just checked the package…yup, it’s Arborio rice, as are two other packages in my kitchen cabinet (Milanese and Butternut Squash risotto). I’ll have to get some Carnoroli and try it myself.

Per the package directions, I DID add some wine at the beginning, then the chicken stock. A chicken broth (less dark) would definitely have been better.

Oh, and I wasn’t using a Ramsay cookbook. He is on a show in the U.S. called Hell’s Kitchen (similar to the British version, except on the U.S. show, he’s a right tosser, to use British slang), and used to complain to cheftestants about the consistency of their risotto.

6 Likes

I make my risotto to the consistency that we enjoy. Generally mine is a bit less flowy than the all’onda texture I understand that risotto is meant to have. Sssh, don’t tell. :wink:

6 Likes

Belgian production simply reflects the truth in this regard: chocolate - definitely good; spinach - meh.

4 Likes

I believe that the “all’onda” consistency is characteristic of Venice and surroundings. The Tuscan risotto is a bit drier.

3 Likes

Yep, risotto has always been the achilles heel on Top Chef.

4 Likes

That’s probably the problem contestants have on these shows. It’s subjective and based on the preference of the judge. I like mine to spread, btw. :relaxed:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Linda,

Aborio and Carnaroli have completely different textures.

Yes, of course I know who Gordon Ramsay is. I had eaten in his ***Michelin Starred Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in London several years ago. I am a grand fan of his “Beef Wellington” !! And we had Hell´s Kitchen here in Spain quite a number of years ago in Spanish.

Though we very very rarely watch T.V.

I agree about the broth or stock to broth, should of been lighter in color.

Do you put butter and Reggiano Parmigiani Cheese too at the end ?

Check the next time you go to buy Italian rices …

Have a lovely evening.

2 Likes

And Chopped. (Oops - misspelled before.)

1 Like

Chopt. ???