What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

I saw a recipe for plantain latkes and thought that would make an interesting dinner. I used two green and one fairly ripe plantains, seasoned with cumin and chipotle. Instead of matzoh meal or AP flour I used corn meal as a binder. They turned out pretty well. Served with goat curry, sautéed cabbage and pineapple salsa. Happy Chanukah!

17 Likes

Absolutely serene and gorgeous, @Barca!

Ooh great idea re plantain latkes!

We had fried plantains the other night (with mojo) and have been discussing latkes for the weekend… I was thinking about interesting alternatives, and here you are with such a clever one!

(Mine will be eaten with sour cream and smoked salmon, which has been replenished as of yesterday).

3 Likes

Last night was cobbled together as the others had pizza night, and I don’t love the pizza place that is the usual order.

So I pulled out a packet of mushroom ravioli from the freezer, bought long ago. Was wondering what sauce to use, then decided to go simple with browned butter and a splash of cream, plus a bit of truffle salt and white truffle oil.

I finally cut the kale that was growing like crazy in various parts of the garden, so I also sautéed some for myself on the side.

Quite a delicious meal at the end of the day :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Thank you. I think next time I’ll use equal parts green and ripe plantains. We did standard latkes on Thursday and I planned on having the leftovers with eggs for breakfast tomorrow but may have to pull out the lox in my freezer.

Saturday: Lunch at home today.

15 Likes

Thank you once again.

Wow, the sausage and colorful veggies look like a Spanish cousin !!!

This was actually Friday evening, not Saturday evening.

This evening, was Tapas … We had Italian for lunch.

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Oh yum @TheCookie - that soup is talking my language - some fav flavors in there. Good job!

2 Likes

Last night for dinner - thawed a NY steak and made cheesesteaks sandwiches. Seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, provolone cheese, on good buns. On the side, a crunchy green garden salad with blue cheese dressing. No pic of salad.

14 Likes

Awww thanks @Lambchop!

Radiatori are pretty cool too – little radiators. They hold sauce well.

4 Likes

Yum. What a creative meal!

I finally made risotto.
Only sort-of from scratch.
A packaged lemon risotto that I divided in half.
Used Wegmans culinary stock, so a bit browner than it should have been.

Pan-sauteed shrimp from the Gulf and asparagus alongside. With wine.

Didn’t have the Gordon Ramsay-approved lava-like looseness to it, but was properly al dente. So I give myself a C+.

And I need to buy a couple of dinner plate-sized shallow bowls if I think I’m going to try this again. Note to Self: when you see it at Home Goods? BUY IT.

16 Likes

Locally-made smoked jalapeño and cheese sausages, green salad, and tots.

13 Likes

Waiting patiently for carburetori and alternatori. And strange ones with six or eight bumps on top called cappidistributori. :grin:

Also linguine with a ring molded into one end, dippisticchi. :grin:

7 Likes

Your grading needs to be revised upwards for excessive harshness. If it was al dente and tasted good, you win.

6 Likes

Thanks. Coming from you that means a lot.

We had another outstanding dinner at Drew’s. Pictures and details in the link below for those that might be interested.

4 Likes

Bombay Seafood Curry (shrimp and scallops) over basmati rice. We cheated with Aruj jar simmer sauce. We’re sorry we did. Normally we use Patak’s when in a pinch which only requires minimal doctoring. We did so much work to this that we might as well have made our own from scratch (which the BF has the patience for and is great at). Overall palatable but far from what I know we are capable of.

13 Likes

Seriously drooling… and bookmarking that pasta!