What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Tv off also
I’ll deal with whatever the outcome is . Cheers :wine_glass:

4 Likes

Oysters, fries, and must be sprouts night

13 Likes

Mmm all that crunch!

Chinese for our weekly “Asian” night tonight.

I made yellowtail (from “my fish guy” :joy:) marinated in some leftover scallion-ginger sauce from weeks ago, then crusted with some corn flour and pan-fried for crisp exterior. I also had a bit of leftover (indian-style) chilli chicken in the freezer, which reheated well.

Rest of the meal was sautéed broccoli, mixed mushrooms with scallions, and tofu in peanut sauce.

A tasty night.

I’m sure I’ll be eating my feelings later, even though there is no cable via which to mindlessly watch garbage analysis.

15 Likes

Besides the incessant chewing of fingernails, dinner was comforting Mexican. Sort of deconstructed fajitas, which I actually dislike, but made with flank steak marinated in sour orange juice, chili flakes, cumin, and garlic, grilled in a CI grill pan. Flame roasted a couple of pasillas until charred and served in a vinaigrette, and grilled some scallions. Mexi-rice and RG Ayocote Morado beans. Flank steak was super chewy, but the second steak softened after it sat under a plate while we ate (part of ) the first one.

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner courtesy of the election:

IMG_20201103_222340_306

Kidding. Kinda. Also made pork chops with hot and sweet peppers, onions, and a dry vermouth deglazing. Side of mashed garlic cauliflower. Prep pic:

There was no wine. There was whiskey. Lots of whiskey.

17 Likes

Then this happened.

Microwave chocolate something - abrownie? Cake? Pudding? I don’t know. It was gone before I could decide.

12 Likes

You weren’t alone.

8 Likes

Lunch on the light today …
MORE MUSHROOMS FORAGED BY DAD AND MORE RISOTTO …

9 Likes

@Barca, I love the way you put a layer of mushrooms on top of your risotto. Your dish looks quite special with that layer of beautiful mushrooms.

I’m going to try this preparation too, instead of putting most of the mushrooms inside my risotto.

2 Likes

Seared scallops with creamed leeks, brown butter haricots, and cheesy spelt risotto (packaged, and mostly discarded. Bleh.)

14 Likes

Tuna casserole, inspired by the recipe below, adding whipping cream, horseradish, Worcestershire, shiitake. Grano padano and parm instead of cheddar. Scaled it down in size. Didn’t add chicken broth.

13 Likes

This isn’t your Grandma’s tuna noodle casserole! Many thanks.

2 Likes

Smoked salmon oshizushi topped with some squirts of Kewpie mayo and torched, miso soup, and tamagoyaki.

17 Likes

Daughter’s 12th birthday today. Dinner menu per her specifications: steak seared in cast iron, roasted brussels, cauliflower and oven home fries. Almost flourless Chocolate Cake with whipped cream for dessert.

19 Likes

Sirloin roast rolled with garlic, parsley, horseradish, and mustard, cooked using the reverse sear method. Good flavor, but it needed more time to tenderize (which was surprising because I cooked it twice as long as the weight suggested). I’ll put it into the sous vide thing tomorrow.

Easy sides of spinach (with Rao’s) and truffled pommes purée (which was quite delectable).

18 Likes

My way of coping is watching food videos on YouTube!!!

2 Likes

Every night I’ll go to the Youtube app on my phone and watch about 15-20 minutes of whatever it decides to feed to be (based on past history or similarities of past history). It’s been fun seeing little 3-6 minute snippets of old episodes of NCIS (Tony/Ziva), Bones, Glee, Ally McBeal, as well as favorite snippets of movies (The Blind Side, Pride and Prejudice, A League of their Own, Billy Elliott, Sister Act, Remember the Titans).

I like the escape from the real world.

8 Likes

Got a jump start on dinner so I fixed a spatchcock roasted chicken with lemon and shallots, and Kashmiri masala spiced Yukon baby potatoes. Later I’ll fix sauté spinach and a salad.

17 Likes

More collards.

And a shout out to my peeps in Georgia!

10 Likes