What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Got my new le creuset baking dish today , with the Provence herb mix . Yay . I’ll be doing chicken leg and thigh tonight. Cheers .:wine_glass:

12 Likes

Is this thing over yet??? I’m making the simplifiest of meals because I’m completely overwhelmed. Personally and professionally. My husband is trying but he is more in the weeds than I am at work.

No pics but tonight was a good collaboration of people who have no time. I defrosted thighs over night and also found tamarind concentrate in the pantry. Added lime, fish sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, onion, garlic and blended. Marinated and grilled. It was proclaimed the best chicken ever by a 3 year old. Highlight of the year? :trophy::trophy::trophy:

16 Likes

It certainly SOUNDS good!

2 Likes

Rigatoni, fresh tomato sauce, grilled prawns

12 Likes

Looks wonderful!

DH cooked tonight - Instant Pot cube steak with onion gravy and cauli-potato mash. Yummy. I was out canvassing to help cure NC absentee votes, so coming home to dinner was sure nice! :heart:

I baked a clementine-orange Bundt with pecans, which stuck but tasted great. Returning the pan.:rage:

18 Likes

Mushroom raviolis from the Italian deli. Made a sauce with butter, minced thyme and shallot, flour, buttermilk, and porcini bouillon. FM green beans and pioppini sauteed with shallots and finished with vermouth, and toasted almonds. Lots of umami going on around here! Hot Italian sausage for the BF, more veg for me.

16 Likes

Somewhere along the way I found a paste method for Bundts (and other cakes) that’s very effective - flour, oil, and butter or shortening (equal measures) mixed together till homogenous. Coat the pan with a brush to prep before pouring in the batter. Haven’t failed to release when I remember to use this.

Leftover paste keeps in the fridge a long time, but I only ever mix enough for a single recipe.

Cake looks delicious, though!

And yay for that dinner! And your efforts!

8 Likes

Felt like an extra long day, not just because of the election results dragging on, but mainly because it started with a friend’s mom’s funeral live streamed.

Dinner - We ordered food from an indian lady to test out.

Cauliflower, potato and peas, dal (a specific type), and 3 types of flatbreads.

Food was pretty good, just a bit oily and over-spiced, which we’ll ask her to adjust next time. I didn’t like any of the flatbreads - I’m spoiled by our home versions - but the others were fine with them, and I’m happy about that because it cuts my work down significantly.

I did make some chicken - dry pan roast, my moms version with very light spicing. Turned out well - I’m always chasing that elusive flavor that only she seems to be able to achieve, even when there are almost no ingredients or method :joy:

13 Likes

Tonkatsu, rice with furikake, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, ginger, store bought curry croquette from the freezer, miso soup (not pictured).

Beer

18 Likes

I’m already loving my new purchase. Le creuset baking dish
Chicken leg and thigh . With onion , white potato, Chardonnay mixed with dijon and those herbs I purchased. The
Baking dish will work perfectly for the rabbit pot pie for Thanksgiving. Cheers .

15 Likes

More late night tostada’s.

This could be a problem .

16 Likes

Oh , those are good looking .

2 Likes

The picture of this dish looks amazing!

1 Like

Very nice. Chicken dish sounds delicious.

1 Like

We had friends over for premature bubbly. I laid out hummus with crudite and pita, caprese salad, feta, pickled peppers, and cranberry bundt. Friends brought beers and peanut butter-filled dates covered in chocolate.

More canvassing:

17 Likes

Well hello, boys and girls. Here we are on a Friday night. How are we all doing tonight?

I just spent the last 4 days invoicing over $4.4M to our clients (although there are the standard operating expenses to our vendors and platforms that’ll drop the revenue number down a good bit). But after a slow summer for my company, things perked up this fall with all of the digital political campaigns that we help manage, as well as the other industries we’re involved in from a digital ad viewpoint.

I’ve also been dealing with whatever messy spaghetti was thrown at the wall at work, voting, agonizing over every last detail in an as yet undecided election, and cats who like to destroy things when Mom’s not home (See: packages of dry pasta stupidly left on the counter by said Mom that were ripped open by a certain ginger cattorist and strewn around the kitchen and dining room floor). :::Sigh:::

But I’ve also enjoyed a beautiful New England Indian summer these past two days, and we can expect even nicer days this weekend.

So…life ain’t too bad overall, at least for me.

It’s Friday. So…that means my standard meal of steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream on the side, and asparagus.

Ohhhh…there WAS wine. Not that you’d expect anything less of me, right?

18 Likes

Friday night pizzas, per our Covid tradition. Cheesesteak sandwich for lunch in recognition of the results coming out of PA. wine as we continue to keep tabs on things…

18 Likes

RIBS that i ALMOST burned. Made a great rub - bourbon sugar, smoked bourbon paprika, fennel pollen, kosher salt & pepper, cayenne, a bare touch of cardamom, touch of cumin, and a dash of liquid smoke to make a smoky paste. Marinated 4 hours, then wrapped each rack individually and baked at 250 degrees for 2 hours. Unwrapped, then back in the oven, meaty side up, for another 1.5 hours. Made my new favorite bbq sauce: ketchup, hoisin, habanero sriracha, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, granulated onion & garlic, and a splash of bourbon. Tasted just like Sweet Baby Ray’s. The key was the hoisin and liquid smoke - I’m done feeling like a cheater about liquid smoke - Serious Eats says it’s ok! Brushed on the sauce and then put the ribs under the broiler. Then my boss called and I forgot them! They got super charred on top and I thought they would be dried out but instead they were tender, juicy, perfect. The char just made it seem like they’d just come off the grill. So, this, along with the news that just keeps getting better and better, means I’m a happy camper.

this is after the first two hours:

after the broiler incident:

16 Likes

i love that rose bubbly!

1 Like