What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Meatballs, peas and rice. Big ole’ scotch bonnet for aroma, but not for eating. @bogman rocotillos in the sofrito.

PXL_20201103_025057343

17 Likes

Big ole Indian fry fest here tonight by request of the birthday boy.

We had puri AND bhajiya, unheard of - other than every Saturday lunch at my grandparents’ house many decades ago :joy:

I prepped about fifty puris in the afternoon, fried fresh when we ate. Bhajiyas were fried simultaneously - half onion and half potato.

Aside from all the deep frying, we also had chhole (chickpeas), the dry potato preparation that goes with puris, and mango pulp (“ras”).

Birthday bundts for dessert - because we hadn’t eaten enough :joy:

I couldn’t take pics before the food was decimated, but I did get some puri shots.

23 Likes

perfect looking puris! i’m sure birthday boy appreciated all the work. (i certainly would)

2 Likes

Basic chicken parm tonight. Salad and a glass of wine for sides.

18 Likes

Perfectly basic .

2 Likes

Have not posted much the last couple weeks. Started a new job and trying to get used to the schedule. Hope everyone had a great Halloween.

Last night the BF made Salisbury Steak with onion gravy (I did the mashed potatoes and peas). He’d been wanting to make it for a while now but I’ve never been a fan (nor do I like meat loaf most of the time). So, I finally caved and let him make his version. It was delicious. A big pop of flavor and the onion gravy was on the money. Even the old Corelle plates returned for a rare cameo!

26 Likes

that looks sensationally retro and comforting.

2 Likes

Potato kugel from freezer with sour cream, pesto pasta with cherry tomatoes, some broccolini.

13 Likes

Novembers off to a comforting and delicious start. Wow!

1 Like

Sister’s fresh pasta, sauteed Italian sausage with garlic and added Rao’s Marinara and a heap of Calabrian chili paste/grated parm. Big fat salad with the works. The last bits and bobs of our baguettes, garlic-rubbed and with butter/parm. Comfort food in advance of tomorrow’s nerve-fraught day.

17 Likes

Someone has suggested that this year 2020 should be canceled and next year will be the real 2020. Many of the problems, like cancelled Olympics will be in the right year again! :hugs:

4 Likes

Yes to both of those!

Was wondering where you’d been!

My BF would LOVE this dinner. I should talk him into making it for us.

1 Like

He’s always very appreciative and sweet.

He knew how much work it was, and had been offering us outs for days, but he was so specific about what he wanted that it was sweet.

It did help that there were two of us frying, and that I had rolled everything out earlier.

With Diwali coming, it was also good frying practice :joy:

1 Like

I used to quite enjoy frozen TV dinner Salisbury steak in my younger days. Have never actually thought to make it!

3 Likes

I think I could get on board with that, @naf!

3 Likes

I’ve been lurking, just not posting. Have been going with some quick-fix meals and others which I have already posted.

2 Likes

Sunday gravy with meatballs on Monday night. WF’s has a nice organic blood orange soda under their label.

12 Likes

But what if it were the same??? Like groundhog day? Brrrr.

TV is off. I can’t deal with it all.

Dinner was quick and simple: Tsardusted grilled pork chop, finished in the oven, with some spicy plum ketchup on top.

Served on buttered and peppered egg noodles alongside roasted garlic Brussels sprouts.

Oh. There’s wine. Even though it’s a Tuesday.

20 Likes