What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

The perfect night for a toasty, crusty pizza!

3 Likes

Reheated Massaman chicken curry in coconut milk, onions, sweet potatoes on Jasmine rice garnished with dry roasted peanuts. And a big bottle of wine!! We buy the family sized…It’s cold here, in the upper 30’s wind and rain but no snow for us on Outer Cape Cod.

9 Likes

A week of dinners:

Meatball sub

Yummy mangalitsa pork steak, mashed potatoes and roasted vegs

Swordfish with fabulous Fly by Jing spicy chili crisp, bok choy and shiitakes

Smoked jerk chicken, braised endive, rice. Beige and while all of it was tasty the elements did not work well together.

Mangalitsa pork and garlic scape sausage, peas, roasted tomatoes and baked potato with the PSTOB.

Fabulous Friday night breakfast for dinner with toasted seeded bread, mustard, shaved Black Forest ham, sautéed tomatoes, over easy duck egg

16 Likes

Muttar paneer aloo tonight . Winged it. Cumin, coriander seed, mustard seed, turmeric, ginger, garlic, onion, jalapeño, canned tomato, frozen peas, paneer, potato, kashmiri chili and garam masala .

14 Likes

That yolk! :::drool:::

3 Likes

The last of my most recent (early COVID) batch of merguez sausages, pan fried and served with tzatziki and pan roasted cauliflower and red onions (in some of the merguez grease with garam masala, scallions and cilantro). Did not suck. Wishing I had left the leftovers out of the fridge so I could go sneak a few more bites!

17 Likes

Wow! Love the variety.

2 Likes

A very fresh fish delivery off the boat means sashimi to snack on with dinner - even though we had takeout sushi for lunch (not my idea, I knew we’d be doing this in the evening, but :woman_shrugging:t2:).

Yellowtail nobu-style with ponzu, serrano from the garden (spicy!) and cilantro.

Tuna dressed simply with soy and sesame oil, plus a sprinkle of togarashi and sesame seeds - I added avocado after the pic.

Sesame rice crackers on the side.

The fish took less time to portion and pack up today than previous turns, because I decided to skip skinning the yellowtail - figured it will come off easily enough when cooked. Before and after shots below!

22 Likes

WOWser! What good delicious fortune you have there.

1 Like

We had some Turkish takeout tonight from Toros in Clifton, NJ using Uber Eats. We ordered stuffed eggplant, manti, Hunkar Begendi with lamb over eggplant puree, sigara boregi, grilled whole branzino, mixed vegetables. We had an excellent 2008 Italian Syrah to go with it. There were a ton of leftovers.

11 Likes

Pizza tonight. Cheated with TJ’s dough and i’m not one bit sorry. We were able to roll their dough out thinner than we have with our own attempts at dough. Made two pizzas out of one ball. First was Rao’s (again, not sorry!) marinara, Genoa and hot salami, an Italian blend of cheeses, oregano, chili flakes & parm at the table. Cheesy! Second, white pizza with olive oil, goat cheese, a bit of mozzarella, sauteed rabe, Jimmy Nardello peppers, and zucchini. I liked that the second was browner but it was also a bit too cracker-like and also needed more flavor, something - I added Calabrian chili paste at the table. Big salad with red leaf, frisee, kalamatas, radishes, tomatoes, pepperoncini, and an oregano red wine vinaigrette with grated garlic.

and, the day started out with my third batch of baguettes in the last 5 days. please send help.

22 Likes

Wonderful meal!

2 Likes

Sauteed fennel with garlic, raisins and pine nuts, only I had pecans.

Hopefully not breaking rules . It’s from “Vegetables Every Day” by Jack Bishop

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetables-Every-Day-Definitive-Cooking/dp/0060192216

but “adapted”.

I like everything about this recipe except the dreaded “Serve immediately!”.

13 Likes

Oh my lord! If I promise to wear a hazmat suit can I come and stay for a week?

3 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely try this!!

1 Like

Linda,

Yes, in Spain we eat our main meal of the day at 14.00 - 14.30 …

And since restaurants and bars are closing at 22.00 due to Covid restrictions nation wide, we used to tapear (go to tapas) at 21.30 more or less however, now we go at 20.30 - 22.00 or have a very light bite at home.

Breakfast: we are both up quite early for professional projects and so we have breakfast, between 6.00am and 6.30am.

At 11am - 12pm noon, we go for an Espresso and a “montado”, a very tiny sandwich or a canapé to hold us over until 14.00 - 14.30 … We consider it an “aperitif” … Can be a tiny slice of Spanish Omelette or a sandwich of Iberian Ham and tomato or a tuna sandwich with roasted red peppers or a Pan Tomaca = toasted baguette with fresh tomato salsa with Evoo and a sprinkle of salt.

Breakfast at home: Different daily; Pan Tomaca, a hard boiled egg with a slice of toast and a seasonal fruit (Bosc red pear or a splashed faded red and faded green apple of great acidity) or fresh figs and a piece of goat cheese or Goat Cheese Ricotta with rasberries and a drizzle of honey … In colder weather, a hot chocolate and churros ! ( a fritter more or less ) dipped into hot chocolate and a treat …
BRUNCH AT HOME OR OUT: Gravlax or Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict or a smoked salmon salad with capers and tomato and / or a French Omelette or a Florentine Omelette (spinach) or perhaps a cheese board with fresh fruit and assorted breads …

Crépes Suzette !!! We do this on Sundays from time to time.

And of course: Either a glass of Prosecco, Cava or Champagne or a Bellini with fresh peaches in season and / or a Mimosa …

Have a lovely weekend.

10 Likes

@shrinkrap

Fennel and pecans !

Interesting combo …

Funny thing is, I have never eaten fennel hot as the main ingredient … I love it cold with blood oranges or navel oranges and a bit of red onion or leek and pear oval shaped red tomato slices … And a typical Italian vinaigrette – Balsamic aged and Evoo Italiana …

I do put fennel in my Minnestrone however …

Love it as a Cruditie too with a hand made Ali oli dip …

2 Likes

This would be me…EVERY DAY. LOL I love everything about both of these choices. And yes, I have a bit of a sweet tooth. :grin:

2 Likes

I’m happy to take credit for the interesting pecans, but I believe a veg, golden raisin, and pine nut combo is sort of common. Maybe Venetian? I believe I saw a version with cauliflower on some cooking show.

Something like this;

This one implies the fennel version might be Jewish!

4 Likes

Pizza on Friday seemed to be a theme for some of us this week.

I joined in with this spinach, mushroom, red onion, and blue cheese pizza. Sautéed the vegetables first. Then in the last 10 minutes of baking, I added the veggies and crumbled cheese to a crust brushed with olive oil, minced garlic scape, and a kiss of Aleppo pepper flakes.

The inspiration struck when our late fall CSA share included a bag of fresh spinach, one of my very favorite things.

11 Likes