What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Why thanks so much @MsBean! I’ll give it a try very soon.

1 Like

Enjoy!

1 Like

An Indian dinner of mostly leftovers tonight (for the adults - kids had quesadillas and beans).

Chicken curry I’d made too much of a while ago and frozen, leftover okra from the other night, green beans made fresh (not by me), chapatis - also frozen, and rice.

The chicken curry actually tasted better tonight than when I made it - the rest definitely helped. I added lots of chopped cilantro to freshen it up.

4 Likes

Fusilli all’amatriciana made with streaky bacon tonight

12 Likes

Cassoulet turned into soup with turkey kielbasa and kale.

13 Likes

Have been craving Mapo Tofu so tonight I made it for dinner, using the fabulous recipe from the Omnivore’s Cookbook. This is Maggie Chu’s blog. The recipe calls for doubanjang (sorry if spelling is off), specifically the Pixian sauce I believe from Chengdu & available from the Mala Market. Go to the Omnivore’s Cookbook where you will find a link. I am hoping to find this sauce locally, rather than having to order it, the flavor & fragrance is light years better than any other version I have tasted… Craving satisfied! :yum:!

18 Likes

Shime saba oshizushi - pressed vinegared mackerel sushi with shiso leaves. I got some frozen shime saba filets recently from a Japanese market recently - mistakenly thinking it was plain frozen mackerel which I can’t seem to find. I think I need to use a little less rice next time as the pieces were a bit too large to eat easily.

14 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing @MsBean. I adore Caribbean flavors. Look forward to exploring that site, especially as the first snow of the season has started to fall here in Massachusetts this morning.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. The blogger lives an hour away from me, and I hadn’t come across his blog or IG feed before. I’m going to send the recipe to a half- Trini friend who loves the food - so her husband can cook it for her. She doesn’t exactly cook. I take her out for West Indian food when she visits me.

2 Likes

@tomatotomato LOL! I find it funny that when it gets cold in the US Northeast I crave Caribbean food all the more. I think I knew you were in MA. Where are you that you have snow? I have lots of family in the Boston area none of whom like snow except my BIL.

@Phoenikia As I noted I always use his website as my starting point when on looking for Caribbean recipes. So cool that he’s a local. Whereabouts are you?

3 Likes

Would you please share your adapted curry recipe?

I’m in Toronto, and he is located in Hamilton, which is roughly halfway between TO and Buffalo.

I’ve been making West Indian curries for 20 years, and own a few West Indian cookbooks. I haven’t cooked from too many West Indian blogs. I’ve been seeking out roti and pholourie for 30 years, I was introduced to those dishes, as well as homemade pepper sauce, by my friend in high school. I’ve only been to the West Indies thrice- to Barbados where I experienced home cooking, home baking and nice restaurants for the week leading up to a wedding feast, to Jamaica where I was stuck at an all-inclusive for another wedding and the jerk pork from a jerk hut and one trip to the Farmer’s Market were the only food highlights, and to Grenada where I stayed at a resort with outstanding food.

Luckily, there are some amazing West Indian restaurants and shops in the Toronto area.

Apart from curries, I haven’t made too many West Indian dishes. The most challenging WI food I have made was a Black Cake for Xmas in 2009! Time flies. Were any of you posting on eGullet around 2009? I communicated with Harters back then via eGullet, before some visits to the UK. :slight_smile:
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/100521-black-cake-and-browning/

3 Likes

Absolutely. I sort of guessed at the amounts as I usually just eyeball the measurements.

Mrs Armstrongs’ Chicken

Ingredients:

• Chicken - I usually use a whole chicken cut into pieces or bone-in,skin-on chicken thighs
  • 2 - 4 Tbls Curry Powder - Jamaican style
  • 1 Tsp Allspice or to taste
  • 1 Tsp Thyme or to taste
  • Cayenne Pepper - amount depends upon the curry powder and your spice tolerance
  • 4 - 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 4 Scallions, finely chopped
  • Juice of one Lime
  • 1 Can Chickpeas - Note: I usually have home cooked chickpeas in the fridge or freezer as I like them better than canned.
  • Baby Carrots - However many I have or feel like that day. Chunks of full size carrots are fine
  • 1 Can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1 “Pot Spoon” of cooking oil (vegetable oil to brown chicken)

Instructions:
In a large bowl, sprinkle chicken with lime juice. Add chopped scallion, half the minced garlic, and 1- 2 tablespoons of curry powder. Rub seasoning into chicken and let marinate at least 10 minutes but longer is better.

In a dutch oven/slow cooker, heat oil. Brown chicken and remove from pot when done. Brown remaining garlic. Add curry powder and let it warm up to release flavor. Add allspice, thyme, cayenne, and coconut milk. Stir to mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken back in with any accumulated juices and toss with sauce. I usually add the chickpeas and carrots now as I like them soft but if you like them firmer hold off until the chicken is halfway done. Cover pot and cook on low heat on stove top, in a medium oven (300) or in a slow cooker. Timing depends upon method and how tender you like your chicken.

I hope you like. Feel free to make adjustments to suit your taste. I usually serve it with rice and peas, sautéed cabbage, and grilled sweet plantains.

6 Likes

I’ve been making this curry for at least 30 years now that I think of it. I can’t believe it’s been that long. I am not at all that expert in preparing West Indian food though I do really like the flavor profiles. We’ve been to several islands over the years, most recently to Barbados. I wish the opportunity to enjoy home-cooked meals. We tend to seek out more local places than the typical tourist. This past time we happened upon a Trini food stand near a grocery store that made great doubles. I could have eaten there very day.

I was not a part egullet but did look at your link. My mother had a jar of those fruits sitting on her counter for years. In fact we were just talking about it as I wanted to start my own jar but she couldn’t remember how she made it. I think she got the starter from a friend a la sourdough. I may have to make a run to TJ’s for a good fruit assortment. Thanks for the impetus to try.

3 Likes

Prepped dinner early today because I’m waiting for a fish delivery that will need to be dealt with.

All-in-one aloo parathas.

Used my sister’s best friend’s family recipe this time, which turned out delicious. Needed to adjust the spicing for my mixing everything together, but that was it.

Accompaniments will ne yogurt and pickle.

16 Likes

I LOVE that expression, and any variations. It is intriguing to me how the islands are the same and different. Husband and I can never agree on rice and peas vs peas and rice, kidney vs pigeon peas, etc. But I’m the cook, so I win, and my moms family is from Nevis with a lot of Trini and Bajan influence . Yay HO’s!

7 Likes

Friday 30th. Family lunch at home … Beef short ribs, baby mushrooms from forest, some “Dim Sim” and Roman green beans and of course some thing great to sip …

15 Likes

Incredible! I love short rib. The mushrooms and ‘dim sum’ look delicious. Terrific photos.

2 Likes

Holy smokes! Even your family lunches are amazing! Is this your main meal of the day?

2 Likes

Pizza, using leftover roasted chicken from last night, and then I roasted some broccoli tonight in the convection oven while the store-bought dough came to room temp. Sauce was some chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, minced garlic, dried oregano and basil. Mozz and Parm-Reg on top, onto the hot pizza stone in a 450° oven for about 10 minutes.

Wine. Not too shabby.

After…

Before…
20201030_191253

18 Likes