What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

@shrinkrap

Spain and Italy ad Portugal as well are not pecan growers. Quite indigenious to the southern Usa.

We all grow hazelnuts, almonds and pinenuts.

Walnuts as well in Girona … (excellent for high cholesterol ) … My dad eats a few for breakfast.

Fennel: I had once made a Venetian dish with fennel … Posted it too if I recall … Or maybe it was my Minnestrone.

Well … Enjoy …

I will keep to the salad and crudities and / or the Bagna Cauda !!!

Have a nice wkend.

3 Likes

Thank you …

My parents enjoyed it quite a bit … The mushrooms were wonderful and the “Roman Green Beans” … These are sweet as sugar … They took home a “doggie bag” for my grand-parents. Had so so many beef ribs and both of us, rarely eat red meat … But it is holiday weekend here.

All Saints Day Monday ( national holiday in Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Poland amongst others and all of the countries with a large Roman Catholic population ) … People visit their ancestors at the cemetary on this day - November 1st …

We are quite lucky. Have my grandparents on both sides and my parents as well – and so does my “dear” …

We were able to have my parents based on “the company” for professional reasons. They live in Girona and we are in Barcelona …

We cannot travel out of the province nor country. It is not too bad considering but we have always visited my parents at least once a month for the whole weekend. We have a tiny apartment in the same complex …

I am uncertain what shall come about for Christmas Holidays.

Very challenging times here too …

Well have a nice weekend. We are watching some old James Bond, as Sean Connery passed on last night at the age of 90 … Mythic and iconic actor of grand sophistication. Love “The Rock” too.

So just relaxing. Have a nice weekend …

6 Likes

Sounds so wonderful and relaxing. I just read about the passing of Sean Connery-what a career.

Thank you for all your kind words.

2 Likes

Fennel braised with garlic, thyme, white wine and chicken stock is a wonderful side dish for pork or poultry. It becomes silken and lush.

And I fondly remember a fennel confit (sugar, splash of Pernod, star anise) as part of a dessert at Le Clos des Gourmets in Paris.

6 Likes

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL!

Garlic sage butter parm popovers that went along with butternut soup and crustless quiche before the last of the pumpkin carving and music commences!

:jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::love_you_gesture:. Rooster

18 Likes

Gorgeous popovers!

2 Likes

Several of the guys got burgers at our in-house company lunch that I arrange each Friday for the 8 of us on the skeleton crew, while everyone else WFH. (It’s the least I can do for those of us slogging to and socially distancing in the office since April.) But my salad Just. Did. Not. Cut. It.

So a craving (on my part) didn’t stop until tonite.

Bacon-Mozzarella Burger on a lightly toasted sesame bulkie roll with lettuce and ketchup. And cheeps. And wine.

It scratched the itch.

20 Likes

You’ve outdone yourself! :star_struck:

1 Like

Very quick thrown-together meal before socially-distant, masked trick-or-treating: potstickers, rice with green peas, and TJ’s teriyaki baked tofu.

A few fun scenes from the 'hood:

21 Likes

Delicious holiday fast-food, exquisite pumpkin carvings.

1 Like

Peppers

Noodles and pork belly

13 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Belford Bistro. We are trying to eat out as much as possible before they lockdown NJ again :frowning_face:
We enjoyed an outstanding mushroom ravioli with pancetta, romanesco, and Locatelli; some awesome mussels with bacon, celery root, carrot, lemon, sherry and an herb crostini. I could have taken a bath in that sauce. Mrs. P is hooked on the pork chops and I enjoyed the hanger steak. It all went great with an excellent 2013 cabernet. Sorry, I had to throw in a gratuitous photo if our Frenchie :blush:

10 Likes

Seester made fresh pasta today. i poached big fat wild Mexican shrimp in last week’s lobster butter broth (that i’d frozen, and to which I added more butter and simmered the shrimp shells and a smashed garlic clove.) Sauteed shitakes, and buttery shellfish sauce over all.

20 Likes

Oh…yum!

1 Like

was that as richly flavored and amazing as it sounds?

1 Like

Yes! There was quite a bit of moaning going on. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thanks, everything turned out and the night was a lot of fun.

Looks like you and yours celebrated in great fun as well! Nice!

1 Like

Wow, pasta drying!

1 Like

Who rules the roost, lol!

1 Like

Lockdown for a month starting Friday, announced Wednesday night. Of course everybody was out buying things, or eating the last restaurant meal on Thursday, breaking record on traffic jam in Paris!

We grabbed what we needed in the grocery stores in Paris: Japanese, Korean and Chinese ingredients, many shelves were empty already. We had our last bowl of ramen before the lockdown.

Seabeam patina ramen with tamago, namero, chashu…

We also bought a roasted Cantonese duck for Friday dinner.

Yesterday, I made a pork ribs tea or the white bak kut teh, the Singaporean pork stew. Quite simple to make, pork belly / ribs cooked in hot water for 15 minutes to get rid the fat. Then simmer the meat with some bones with PSTOP: 1/3 cup of black and white pepper, 2 head of garlics and simmer for an hour. Added soaked dried Chinese mushroom and simmered for another hour, I added some tofu puffs. Served with a thick dark soy sauce with chili flakes. Pretty good.

18 Likes