What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

I’ve been munching on salads the last two nights with a spicy cashew dressing. Kale and mixed greens, roasted beets and cauliflower, goat cheese, cracked pepper. Along with rice crackers dipped into Ithaca brand lemon-dill hummus. This stuff is addictive.

1 Like

Nice to see you here!

I made an Brazilian xinxim with turkey breast, shrimp, coconut milk, ginger, garlic, peppers and peanuts . Omitted the dende oil, cilantro and dried shrimp since I don’t have any on hand. Served with basmati.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelemursarehungry.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/xinxim-de-galinha/amp/

12 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Bolognese from the freezer, foraged hedgehog, puffball, and bear’s head tooth mushrooms, and cabbage and tomato slaw with a dressing of pomegranate molasses, sesame thyme, Aleppo and Urfa pepper, garlic, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.

12 Likes

Everything sounds yum, but the crab cakes are calling to me because I’ve had them on my mind for a while…

they were sort of a crab cake/ aloo tikki hybrid. i sauteed a bunch of onion with garlic, garam masala, cumin, coriander, etc. and mixed that into the crab/potato mixture. I threw them in the oven on convection to brown rather than pan frying, which would also be good. I toned down the spice for the kiddos, but if i made them for a cocktail party (when that’s a thing again), i would make them in mini format and amp up the spice.

2 Likes

One of my favorite nyc spots used to to serve a crab appetizer that was essentially an un-fried crab cake - the crabmeat was sautéed with aromatics and spices, then placed into a ring mould on the plate for the shape.

Just so delicious. I’ll order crabmeat one of these days when I can work the dish into our week.

3 Likes

I feel like i’ve had something like that at Junoon or Rahi maybe? or Baar Baar? ugh how i miss dining out…

Tamarind.

Yeah, I miss it too.

Simple dinner tonight - meatballs I had made over the weekend, stewed in Raos, with pasta.

Roasted cauliflower for everyone.

Mac & cheese for the vegetarians.

No pics. We dialed it in - nothing was quite right, but it was fine. The dishwasher is broken again and the chefs-cum-dishwashers are exhausted.

5 Likes

My nightmare.

I love glamping . I bought my house surrounded in the forest with a horse next door and a view of the ridge.
. Excellent food and wine also

6 Likes

If that’s the definition of hanging with weirdos, my whole family is in some capacity. They all refuse some perfectly delightful food.

2 Likes

Glad to hear from you ccj, have thought about you & wondered how you were doing… Take care & stay safe!

4th time. Yet again it came back to life between when the appointment was made and the appointment actually occurred. This time the technician did something while he was trying to figure out what keeps happening. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Oh no, I love camping, I’ve never been a glamper except for the food! I was mostly referring to camping during covid - sharing bathrooms with strangers, etc. And yeah, the longest I’ve ever camped is 5 days, and it was one of those hole situations, and no showers. That’s my limit for roughing it! I prefer 2-3 days.

3 Likes

I think I may have previously mentioned this West Indian curry, taught to me by Mrs. Armstrong, a nurse Mr. Bean used to work with. It is one of our favorites and I’ve been making it for years. Since I had some free time, I decided to make Buss Up Shut - a Trinidadian roti derivative - to go with it. Rather than being flat, the dough is rolled and then beaten with wooden spatulas while cooking so that it develops flaky layers. It was easy to make and very good. I can see making it on a regular basis.

15 Likes

Oh yum, very intrigued by the bread @MsBean - think I could inhale it right now, along with the rest of your plate!

1 Like

Thank you. The chicken is not much more than directions on an old, blue index card. I’ve changed the recipe a bit over time but it will always be Mrs Armstrong’s Chicken to us.

I got the Buss Up Shot from The Caribbean Pot website, one of my go to’s. It does take some time as there are 2 rests periods but it is not at all hard. It was lots of fun, especially the buss up part.

https://caribbeanpot.com/buss-up-shut-roti-made-easy/

3 Likes