What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

I also made this a couple of weeks ago, fried mine. Loved it.

12 Likes

that looks wonderful. I’ve only made mole once from scratch, a few years ago, but it wasn’t great. good, but not a knock-out. i can’t remember the recipe, but an English writer (Not Ms. Kennedy). Now i have these powdered moles I brought back from the markets of Mexico City in my freezer so that’s what I’ve been using lately. And they’re fantastic! But you’ve inspired me - someday, I’ll try doing it from scratch again.

3 Likes

Thanks shrinkrap! I just harvested a trash bag full of huge, but tender collards. I use the stems, just chop them smaller and throw them in before the chopped leaves.

2 Likes

It has a creamy texture.

2 Likes

FRIDAY LUNCH …

11 Likes

Friday night pizzas. Happy weekend, All.

15 Likes

There were lots of ingredients and a number of steps but lots of fun. Go for it!

1 Like

I’ve heard of powdered mole. It sounds really interesting. I’m going to have to be on the look out for it.

We should all make/have mole on the same day - it can be a virtual dinner party. @ChristinaM

3 Likes

Why, hello long weekend Friday!

It was nice to wake up late on your day, putter around, do some errands, shop at Home Goods, find out I need new spectacles and sun spectacles (well, maybe not so nice on that last part) and enjoy the lovely warm weather we had today in New England.

And then to plan a meal driving home, only to remember when I got home that I had already taken something out of the freezer! I know, I know. It’s your special day, and we almost always celebrate the weekend with my favorite Friday meal! I wasn’t slighting you, I promise. It just had a very weekendish type of feel to it, and technically, it is a 4-day weekend for me!

So I’ve pushed off my planned meal to tomorrow, and went with our old standby: steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a big-assed baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream on the side, and green beans with toasted almonds. Ohhh, rest assured, there WAS wine!

14 Likes

We used our last two home grown tomatoes for BLT’s with chips and Claussen garlic dills. Had some TJ’s roasted red pepper tomato soup on standby but decided the sandwich was enough.

4 Likes

That’s fun! Historically it’s happened a few times with chicken paprikas in the WFD group!

3 Likes

We were going to leave for camping again today after a last-minute booking, but it ended up being a hectic day packed with meal planning, prep, laundry and other chores, and work. At 4:00 p.m. I went on three errands (two grocery stores + Lowes) and decided it was too rushed to be fun. So we decided to leave tomorrow instead when DH can help with packing the car. No sweat. All this to say, we pivoted and had one of the dinners planned for camping - roasted mayo-mustard marinated chicken thighs, ravioli with vodka sauce, and tomato salad. It worked. Nice crispy, bacon-y skin.

17 Likes

I tried making pesto with a mortar for the first time. It was a bit of a workout but came out pretty well. I maybe could have crushed up the basil a little more.

Ate some on fusilli.

With a glass of a nice verdicchio.

17 Likes

felt a little Fall-ish today in San Francisco, so I made a homey, spicy stew, kimchi jjigae - my first! Great way to use up some of my aging kimchi. I used pork belly, medium firm tofu, shitakes, onions, garlic & scallions. I can see it with beef, potatoes, and definitely an egg yolk. More gochugaru & gochujang next time. Really good and hit the spot.

19 Likes

Ooh i did that once. I liked how it turned out too - must try that again next summer (still have too much pesto in the freezer right now!) Your pasta dish looks very inviting.

3 Likes

That (and the wine) looks so good!

1 Like

I have had jars and bags of pastes. Anybody tried this?

2 Likes

It’s a great workout. I find the texture to be far superior to the food processor. Bravo.

1 Like

The ones I see are in bags like that or plastic deli-type containers. I’ve never seen that one but the vast majority are Oaxaquneo Negro. I’ll buy any other version as they are rare.

1 Like

That makes sense.

4 Likes