What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

That made the differences between the different moles very clear. Mine end up being an amalgam of negro and rojo.

1 Like

Any thoughts about white meat chicken in this packaged mole rojo? You may have read my previous complaints about my families complaints. I may save some sauce for some pork shoulder. I think I’d like that.

That chicken looks great! Any chance I could get the recipe? Hope your camping trip was fun.
Thanks.

Bone in or boneless? I think either could work as long as you took care not to overcook. You may have to add extra chicken stock to thin out the mole itself as it can be very thick. Maybe simmer without the chicken to meld the flavors first?

1 Like

Bone in, skin on from the store, but they infinitely prefer it be served boneless, skinless. Not hard to do after cooking, but one day they’re going to be assigned that part.

1 Like

Dinner last night: Psari Plaki with cod, totally non Greek sides.

9 Likes

Traditionally, tagine is cooked in a claypot with charcoal. As you know claypots are full of tiny pores, the spices, the charcoal adds extra flavours.

1 Like

Yum, definitely want to try the risotto!

1 Like

You reminded me I’ve that in my pantry that I’ve totally forgotten. Mine are classic with grain, will try to find your walnut version. Love the original version in their signature bucket. Edmond Fallot are from Dijon while Clovis one is from Reims.

13 Likes

NOTE TO SELF: When you see a nice dinner-sized shallow bowl/plate at Home Goods and think “That would be good for some of my pasta dishes but I really don’t have the place to store it [but you know you really do!] and how often will I use it?”, just buy the damn thing, willya?

So tonight’s meal could have used that shallow bowl, and yes, I’ll probably go back for one or two of them.

Garganelli pasta with sautéed mushroom cream sauce and asparagus was what was for dinner tonight.

Cremini mushrooms sautéed with some added minced garlic. Then a cup of reconstituted porcini mushroom bouillon was added in small increments as the liquid reduced. Some heavy cream, ground pepper, and dried thyme, and reduced. Then a large handful of grated Parm-Reg to “sauce it up”.

The garganelli was cooked and removed with a slotted spoon to drain. Added the chopped asparagus to the hot water off the heat to cook while everything else came together.

Pasta and sauce topped with asparagus and some additional Parm-Reg and a sprinkle of dried fresh parsley, and it was dinner. With wine.

19 Likes

I like how you think. The Sprout once asked me to cut the crust off her toast and I told her she’d have to learn how to do it herself. Fortunately(?) she never bothered to try.

4 Likes

We did Oktoberfest tonight. Chicken Schnitzel, mushroom gravy, German potato salad, and asparagus (needed to get some green on the plate. Also some German wine.

20 Likes

Lobster rolls for dinner at my sister’s. Frozen tails, quickly blanched and then butter poached, on brioche buns (they didn’t have the split-top hot dog buns at TJs.) So fricken good. Living large with buttah. With these really great truffle chips (with actual truffle pieces.)

truffle chips

15 Likes

I helped my daughter make reverse seared chicken breast with Mole Rojo sauce, mostly on the side.

I used ATC video again, Goya Adobo seasoning under the skin a few hours before cooking, I could have gone bit darker on the sear. And “harder” (less tender, juicy) according to daughter

13 Likes

I LIKE it! :grin:

1 Like

We had another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ. They moved to fully indoor dining this week at 25% capacity. They were being charged about $7,000.00 a month to rent a tent, and it just wasn’t worth it to invest any more money for any sort of heating for another week or two before it became too cold to dine outdoors.
We enjoyed an excellent eggplant tomato timbale with seared shrimp in chive oil; escargot; pumpkin ricotta moon shaped pasta; awesome venison chops, perfectly charred on the outside and medium rare on the inside, with hen of the woods mushrooms in a juniper sauce; panko crusted halibut with wasabi sake coconut milk. We enjoyed the delicious coconut cake with caramel sauce for dessert. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape.

11 Likes

25th October - INTERNATIONAL PASTA DAY …

8 Likes

Wow.
Escargot and Wild boar Bolognese …

AGNOLETTI are half moon pasta - similar to a ravioli …

Absolutely some amazing dishes and bottlings !!

Have a lovely evening and hope all is well.

1 Like

Big mustard fan. These are splendidly superb.

Do you prepare some dishes with Dijon Mustard or just use on sandwiches or for dipping charcuterie ?

Enjoy !

1 Like

Now this sounds wonderful and perfect for the seasonal weather we are now having.

Thank you for posting your recipe.

I love monkfish which we call "Rapé " (pronounced RA PAY) …