What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Shrimp and scallop scampi (followed Tyler Florence’s recipe- very lemony) , fregola and bread tonight.

21 Likes

No pics of dinner tonight.

French onion soup for almost everyone - mine in a mug without the Swiss cheese and soggy crouton I don’t enjoy.

One kid had tomato soup instead - from the passata I made and froze a while back - and grilled cheese.

On the meat front, leftover (takeout) giant meatball and mascarpone polenta for some of us (pasta with Rao’s for the non-polenta eater).

There was a suggestion (at 4:45pm) of making meatballs from the wagyu delivery over the weekend, which I declined, unless someone else was planning to make them (they were not). Glad I did that, because it would have been entirely unnecessary and mostly leftover again.

9 Likes

Dinner tonight: Greek style lemon chicken, orzo, mixed veg and slaw. Messy plate, sorry.

16 Likes

Tonight I tried the NYT sour cream and onion chicken, but I convection roasted vs pan fried. It was quite tasty if not as perfectly crispy as written. served with my version of roasted home fries, broccoli and acorn squash. pretty tasty, and will go into the rotation.

19 Likes

Wfd pork, apple risotto, green beans.

18 Likes

Superb

1 Like

Fettucine with tomato sauce, chicken thigh piccata, vegetables.

17 Likes

that piccata!! i only cook with thighs so that’s right up my alley.

4 Likes

Grilled pork , salad and beans. I extremely liked the Edmond Fallot mustard . Slightly piquant with the taste of pecan pie. I am ordering more after tasting it for the first time . Cheers.

17 Likes

Collard greens in coconut cream, and Italian sausages.

Scotch bonnet “Jean” for heat, and rocotillo “@bogman” for flavor and aroma.

17 Likes

I like that mustard too, though I’ve only tried the regular one and not the one with walnuts. Good texture and decently sharp. Oh and nice looking pork :smile:

1 Like

The walnut is super. I have been a fan of the fallot mustard for years.

2 Likes

I looooove mustard - we have probably have 5 or 6 in the fridge right now - but have never seen that walnut one. Definitely going to have to look for it. Does it have a nutty texture or just flavor? I bet it makes a great salad dressing.

2 Likes

Shrinkrap, that looks delicious! How did you make it? Sounds like I have all the ingredients on hand. A lot of collards are coming in right now and different recipes are welcome. I’ve been cooking it with a couple dried, smoked Moritas, a teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper, serving it with lime wedges. Sausage and brassicas are a natural!

4 Likes

I happened upon some goat meat yesterday and since goat mole is one of our favorite dishes at a local restaurant I decided to make it for dinner. I usually pick up prepared mole at our nearby supermercado but, since I had some free time, I figured I should make it from scratch. I followed Diana Kennedy’s Mole Negro Oaxaqueno recipe from The Art of Mexican Cooking. I didn’t have all the specific chiles called for (48 chiles across 4 kinds) so substituted what I had. I also subbed tahini for the fried sesame seeds.

While it wasn’t as black as the restaurant or prepared versions, it was still pretty damn good (if I do say so myself and I do). It was a decent amount of work but so worth it. Luckily it made enough for a second meal. Next time I’m out I want to buy the right chiles as I think it will be even better.

Served with fried rice with peas, roasted peppers, and corn, and sautéed cumin zucchini.

17 Likes

That looks great!

You are inspiring me to attempt this!

Thank you @bogman! Sort of like these two. Some from one recipe some from the other. only the liquid was from simmering some smoked turkey from earlier this summer, and I used coconut cream (in the brick) rather than coconut milk. Also I didn’t havectamari. Should I?

The NYT recipe cooks only for 10 minutes and the dreaded “Serve immediately!”. I hate when recipes say that.

2 Likes

We love the Fallot Honey and Balsamic Dijon Mustard. It has a nice kick to it. Mrs. P also likes to mix it with balsamic vinegar for a nice salad dressing.

3 Likes

You have me craving those greens, put the ingredients on my shopping list for this weekend. Thanks for posting recipe links!

2 Likes