What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Looks delicious!

I’ve been unhappy with my IP chicken dishes of late…

1 Like

Cold and wet dreary day here in the central Jersey area so I decided to make a good stick to your bones kinda meal. Good ole’ chicken pot pie! (crust compliments of Pillsbury grand biscuits, if I can’t do it better why bother?)

20 Likes

Chicken, prosciutto, provolone, and tomato panino.

And cheeps. Because I didn’t feel like making fries. It’s still potatoes. Just easier.

And Alfie is concerned about the upcoming weather after watching Harvey Leonard. And told me about it. I told him not to worry, it’s not winter. Yet.

18 Likes

Dreary, wet and cool day here in the NYC area. I had a chuck roll from Restaurant Depot sitting in my fridge, waiting to be turned into stew beef and ground beef, so I took the opportunity of a slow day at work to cut it up. Ended up with 7 pounds of gorgeously marbled cubes for stew and 10 pounds to grind. The stew cubes were calling to me, so I improvised a beef stifado based on a few internet recipes - red wine, tomatoes, onions, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaves, orange rind. I let it all braise for a couple of hours, and then strained off the liquid, thickened it with roux and added a little fresh wine and nutmeg, then stirred everything back together and served it alongside roasted garlic cauliflower puree. Maybe the best stew I’ve ever made! Cutting my own beef as opposed to being at the mercy of the grocery store’s stew selections makes a huge difference - every bite was perfectly tender.

22 Likes

Those flavors speak to me. Looks great!

2 Likes

It was very brown but VERY delicious! I would probably garnish with chopped parsley and maybe a little fresh orange zest if I were serving to company, but the cats don’t care and DH was so hungry he inhaled it without even looking! :smiley: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Cooking is the best medicine! Do not forget to eat. When my dad passed, I dropped like 10-15 pounds in a week or two. I’ve since made up for it. LOL. Hang in there.

8 Likes

Craving a BLT tonight. Got some thick cut farmhouse white bread and Boars Head bacon (tried oven instead of stove top-- so much better and less mess). No mayo for me, but I did slather on some butter. Not a TPSTOB level. Just a kiss.

Side of leftover mac salad and chips. Today was a real fridge clean out attempt. Lunch was a mish mosh fried rice using what I had on hand (leftover takeout white rice, spinach, sugar snap peas, etc). Steamed the spinach in dry vermouth since I was out of rice wine. Delicious.

I think I’m going to write a vermouth cookbook.

17 Likes

I love vermouth for cooking. It adds so much depth of flavor rather than just the acidity you get from most white wine. Keeps longer than wine and it’s cheap, too! Win win.

5 Likes

Sweet vermouth too. We did sausage and peppers last week with a cup of it instead of red wine and it changed the entire meal. It was elevated. I’ll never use simple white/red again. I even use it in place of marsala in Chicken Marsala. Thankfully I love martinis and Manhattans, so I’ll never run out of either.

4 Likes

That is the same recipe I used except for the lemon juice and I added the evoo to the food processor. I confess I wimped out on the jalapeño. I’ll try another batch and go full throttle on the jalapeño. Thanks

2 Likes

rather a brown dinner… Zhoug marinated steak became tacos, and I made refried beans for the first time (which really doesn’t mean fried twice, but fried extra, in case anyone was wondering.) I used RG’s ayocote morados, fried in bacon fat, and mushed until creamy but still with some consistency. added a tiny pinch o’cumin and a small shot of habanero hot sauce. mexi-rice turned out extra dark because i cooked it with the bean water and then accidentally added just a bit more chipotle powder than I’d intended. the queso on everything was a grateable white similar to cotija but with loroco. I thought this would all be too many strong flavors but nah, worked out just fine.

20 Likes

Hummus tehina using this recipe, cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg, and a half sour pickle.

17 Likes

“I tried 3 stores for those tiny onions but couldn’t find them.”
I keep frozen pearl onions on hand for this very reason.

6 Likes

I want to dive into that… looks so good!

1 Like

I’m so sorry, @gracieggg. Half you were able to eat a little. Sometimes a cooking project is a necessary distraction.

Coincidentally, I’ve had bourgignon on my mind for a couple of weeks. Only made it once, a la Julia Child, but it was wonderful. I will say that I thought I’d enjoy those pearl onions more than I did - your sub would have made me happier. That said, TJs used to stock them reliably iirc.

1 Like

i like not putting the oil into the food processor because then it’s more like a loose sauce, like chimichurri, rather than an emulsification.

it looks wonderful, and I’m glad you ate some.

i lost my mom 10 years ago and my dad 6. losing my mother was a mind-f*** - one minute she was there, the next minute completely gone. losing someone like that is a huge shock to the system. maybe try to eat little bites throughout the day so you don’t deplete yourself. but be gentle, and listen to your body. you’ll come back at some point. xoxo

5 Likes

We had a small amount of fish leftover after Mr Bean packaged up the latest black sea bass catch. Since it was a cold and rainy day, and I had some fennel I needed to use up, bouillabaisse seemed like the perfect dinner. I usually make a rouille hack (mayo and smoked paprika) but I happened to roast a bunch of Hatch Chiles the other day so I decided to make a real one. WOW! It was way easier than I thought and so good. I’m a convert.

19 Likes

Yes, of course! I didn’t think of this at all but my Mom said “You know, next time they are in the frozen section!”

4 Likes