What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Mmmmmm those biscuits tho…

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends!

My college roommate would make me late-night drop biscuits when we got home post party but had resisted pizza… many years later, I adopted the ATK method (melt butter and pour into cold buttermilk or milk to create distributed droplets of butter) and still love them!

4 Likes

Last week was pretty busy and not much cooking. Not much better this weekend., but tonight managed to do carrot salad (shaved carrots, pistachios, herbs, dressed with evoo, red wine vinegar, toasted caraway seeds, salt, pepper), and gyros. Dessert will be a few bites of peach huckleberry pie. Also managed to make some stuffed delicata squash for the freezer (details when I cook it later this week).

18 Likes

That’s genius! I’m going to borrow that…

Everything looks delectable! Jealous of the crab toast…

2 Likes

I love capers.

3 Likes

We love capers too. The capers, fresh herbs, and vermouth were a great combination. The problem is that whenever we order a dish with capers at a restaurant they only give you a couple of capers. At home we can go crazy with the capers.

5 Likes

Count me in as a major caper lover!

4 Likes

Taco salad. No picture! It was not pretty. :grin:

5 Likes

Spaghetti with ground beef . It was so 1950’s from a long lost friend. And look who photo bombed the picture. Cheers.

For dessert. Some salted peanuts and a movie . Neil Simon’s. The Odd Couple.

14 Likes

The good old Green Kraft Parmesan that a good many of us grew up on! It looks delicious @emglow101.

2 Likes

Salad again for dinner, this time with zhoug-marinated steak. (made a new batch.) Plus, arugula, romaine, English peas, tomatoes, goat cheese, shallots, TJs honey almonds, in a chimichurri dressing (made another batch of that, too). And croutons fried with a clove of garlic and tossed with Penzey’s Sunny Paris.

Fries were had for brunch, of course - one batch with russets, the other these giant yellow potatoes I’ve been finding at TJs. I think we prefer the yellows - they turned out crispier & fluffier.

20 Likes

I thinking. Next cuisine of the month. Dinner and a movie . Cuisine inspired by the movie. Walter Matthau in the Odd Couple
" I’ll have a pastrami on rye with all the fat . Another scene.
Jack lemmon . " See it . See what . Four dollars and eighty cents worth of ashes . I’d throw it down the incenterator but it won’t burn twice. "

5 Likes

Fabulously fresh swordfish, pan-roasted and topped with anchovy, parsley, lemon zest and cobanero chili flake compound butter, and broccoli from the farm stand.

18 Likes

@paryzer,

Are you referring to Verona, Italia or Verona, New Jersey ?

Ha Ha ! I know, Americans are not permitted to enter Italia at this time. Unless: They are legal residents or citizens of Italia ! And / or, a new law, “if they have a relationship with a loved one” and they have been separated by Covid regulations ! Cool law ! They need to prove it …

Looks super !
Hope all is going well despite this challenging time.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’m referring to Verona, NJ :slightly_smiling_face: I would rather be in Verona, Italy.
Thank you! It’s nice to be able to dine indoors again, although it is only at 25% capacity. The tables are very nicely spaced and we usually dine very early so we have the restaurant to ourselves for the first hour or so. It beats eating in a parking lot on plastic chairs and tables and paying the same price :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope all is well with you. I am admiring all of your sensational meals with breathtaking scenery.
Stay safe.

1 Like

Maria, my muse, would you share your recipe? I made a batch, it was good and I liked it, but not as much as either aji verde or chimichurri. When cleaning out my fridge I found a bit of zhoug and aji verde and mixed them together, that was really good. Gracias

2 Likes

of course! 2 packed cups of chopped cilantro, 4 cloves of garlic chopped, 4 jalapenos chopped, a tsp. of ground coriander, 3/4 tsp of ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. of red chili flakes, and about a tsp. sea salt. you don’t have to chop finely, just a rough chop. put all that in FP and pulse until you get a nice wet paste. then scoop into a bowl, add 3/4 cup evoo, and squeeze of lemon juice - just a small squeeze. blend with a fork until well incorporated and put into a jar, store in fridge.

3 Likes

that swordfish is drool-worthy!

glad to see you here again!

3 Likes

Yesterday I was at my parents. I guess just my mom’s now. Ugh. My brother and I had an emotional day of cleaning out my dad’s work van as we prepare it for selling. So strange. After all that, my aunt and I were talking about Julia Child and I started thinking about beef bourguignon which I’ve never made before but seemed like something I might want to eat. I am starting to get a little concerned how little I’m eating and how much weight I’m dropping. Since I was off work today, it seemed like a good day to do it. I tried 3 stores for those tiny onions but couldn’t find them. No issue and substituted small regular onions cut. Thumbs up all around. It doesn’t look pretty but it was satisfying. Sides of brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes.

Also, hat tipping to @gcaggiano who posted about this a few weeks ago and maybe that idea got rooted into my subconscious. Thanks for the kind words, advice and inspiration to make something I would actually eat.

20 Likes

It’s such a hard time, I’m so sorry. Your dad would be proud of you stepping up to help. :heart:

3 Likes

I made the IP chicken tagine recipe from Half Baked Harvest, as recommended by a friend. I added a drained can of chickpeas and reduced the cook time to 13 min (from 20) at high pressure.

12 Likes