What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

BF made Thai coconut curry with chicken. Restaurant quality! Lots of veggies! My next challenge for him will be Massaman.

17 Likes

We drove to a mountain/lake for the kids long weekend. Planned breakfasts and lunches, with takeout dinners.

Tonight was mexican, no picture-worthy.

The restaurant forgot our flan, so I made ccc for dessert (from frozen homemade cookie dough balls I carried up).

Always shocking how tasty these are given that they are vegan and so easy.

16 Likes

Flax eggs?

:laughing:thanks! Wouldn’t that be fun!

1 Like

No eggs! No creaming is what drew me in… I’m lazy like that.

1 Like

Starting to seriously lament the passing of our growing season here in SE Michigan.

DW & me put together a salad for dinner. Sad that we won’t see many more this year…

16 Likes

I was so hungry I didn’t remember to snap the plate but it was another clean the frig meal consisting of grilled scallops, radishes with butter, cucumber slices, roasted beets, wedge of goat cheese, wedge of blue cheese and a handful of water crackers. Tasty.

11 Likes

My daughter a bit envious of our entertaining lately asked if I would have a dinner party for her and the boyfriend, so a small plate menu was devised.

We have shrimp cocktail and charcuterie board, mini wedge salad, lobster ravioli in a vodka sauce, tempora fried lobster tail over a corn infused butter drizzled with homemade hot honey, cream of tomato soup with
mini grilled cheese and lamb chops with Dijon mustard.

I’m stuffed!

22 Likes

(Is there a way to download photos in order? When I select them from my phone I do it in the order I want them to post but they never do)

I upload them individually if I want them in a certain order (and my anal-retentiveness usually does).

4 Likes

Slept in. Ahhhhhhh.

Errands. Saved 50% off the total bill at CVS with Extra Bucks and coupons. That works for me.

Enjoyed the crazy warm 77° mid-October day, although the wind wasn’t very nice.

Used up some leftover spaghetti in a quick carbonara (bacon subbed for the guanciale) with seared scallops from WF alongside.

Parsley was the veg, as I didn’t want to test my timing skills any more than they were already being tested with the carbonara and scallops.

Wine.

19 Likes

Well-played. Happy Saturday!

2 Likes

Almost Rosolli, a Finnish beet-potato-apple salad, using the last 3 beets from my garden.

Spam and some mountain apricot jam I brought home from Ischgl in March 2019. Ischgl is the village which unfortunately was the epicenter for the Austrian outbreak, and thousands of cases in Northern Europe can be traced back to tourists who visited Ischgl. I was there exactly a year before it was shut down this year.
a Old German yellow tomato from my garden, some of the last of my lettuce mixed with Romaine from the store local corn

17 Likes

Wooooow

We had an Oktoberfest “Brotzeit”-themed dinner. Homemade pretzels and Liptauer spread served with Irish butter, Camembert, sweet and hot mustards, ham, cornichons, Boursin cheese, sour cherry jam, German candied almonds, and from our local butchery: German “Swiss” cheese, Liverwurst, Kielbasa, and mortadella. Local Festbier and Hefeweizen to drink.

21 Likes

Holy cow trifecta!

My relatives in Bavaria call that kind of meal Abendbrot, and that’s a typical dinner for them :slight_smile: They typically have their soup or another hot meal at lunchtime.

Their breakfast looks similar, but in addition to the meats and cheese, they would have soft boiled eggs in egg cups, quark with herbs, yogurt and jam on the table.

6 Likes

Simple Saturday night dinner. Chicken cutlet, mashed garlic cauliflower, and asparagus steamed with Scotch. Yes. Scotch. One of my mom’s coworkers recommended this recipe where you briefly sautée asparagus with butter, olive oil, and garlic. Then add a splash (size varies) of Scotch, cover and steam. The flavor was interesting. You could not taste the whiskey but there was a nuttiness present that would not normally be there. I’d do it again.

19 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at the Belford Bistro. It was well worth the 2 hour round trip. We enjoyed Australian rack of lamb; pumpkin agnolotti with chorizo and broccoli rabe; honeynut squash soup with apples and crushed cashews; and the best pork chop. It all went great with an outstanding 2005 syrah.

13 Likes

Chile relleno casserole ( Thanks @bbqboy!)

And daughter is making a Hello Fresh stuffed burger meal!

16 Likes