Help me make chile relleno's .

Got it . Thanks .

I dug up this thread so I could share some ideas I’ve found. I love the real thing, but I’m looking for something less fidley, and preferably lowest carb.
Feeling lazy so I’m only sharing the ones I have in Eat Your Books that are available online…which helps explain all the Serious Eats links.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/dinner-tonight-chiles-en-nogada-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/crisper-whisperer-grilled-chiles-rellenos-resemblos-recipe.html

6 Likes

Chili relleno is a house favorite. I fire-roast poblanos over the gas flame, carefully remove skin, make a slit and remove seeds and interior membrane. Fill with Oaxacan cheese. Dust with Wondra. Run through a batter of eggwhite whipped stiff with a spoon of flour and dash of salt. Fry in shallow HOT canola oil until golden. Drain/blot with paper towel and serve immediately.

We prefer green sauce to red sauce, and a healthy dollop of Mexican or Salvadorian sour cream
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 7.41.23 AM

9 Likes
3 Likes

Once I got past the language barrier and turned my phone sideways I really enjoyed this recipe video. Too much of a hassle to scale down for the two of us. But for a big fajita cookout like we use to have, this would have been a real crowd pleaser. Tortillas, guacamole, salsa and refried beans. Oh yeah.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Another take on rellenos…

7 Likes

Perfect; maybe 1/3 cup of flour would be the only carbs, right? I didn’t catch the number of servings.

2 Likes

A great Spanish language lesson! With her mauve nail polish.

3 Likes

@bbqboy :yum:
I live in a part of Canada where most Mexican restaurants are run by people from parts of Mexico or El Salgado where Chile Rellenos are stuffed with rice or meat.

It’s hard to find a cheese-filled Chile Relleno, like the type served in California and Texas.

I now grow my own poblanos. I’m lazy when it comes to breading/battering and frying, so I make Chile Relleno Casseroles.

1 Like

Me too! For years I grew “Tiburon” which I had enjoyed from the farmer’s market and had a mild heat. Now Johnny sells “Baron” in it’s place, and I don’t detect any heat. In addition to “Baron”, Im also growing Ancho 211 and Ancho St. Louis this year, which sometimes have a touch of heat for me as well.

6 Likes

Personally I despise cotija cheese especially in a relleno. I keep seeing it, not eating it.

Lots and lots of Oaxaca or Monterey Jack is what I want. I’m also not in favor of mixing other stuff in with the cheese. Breaded and fried can be good so can an egg batter especially if it’s going inside a burrito.

I’ve had fancy ones with crab lobster stuff like that too. That ain’t it for me.

I just want a large pepper and as much cheese as you can fit in and serve it up gooey.

Don’t forget about the rellenos smaller cousin the jalapeño popper ! These can be done in a variety of ways too and not nec deep fried.

4 Likes

I read the op and grabbed this link thinking it would be helpful. I think she’s an excellent resource.

Then I realized the op is from 2015. What the heck??? Dang. Posting the link anyway just in case there’s still an interest.

6 Likes

Chile Relleno never goes out of style!
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

The cooking threads have more staying power. I bumped it because it’s a good reference.

5 Likes

I think the variety of poblano plant I found here was called Trident.

Beautiful plants!

4 Likes

Where I live in Canada, chile relleno on a menu usually means chile relleno en nogada or chiles en nogada - so a picadillo-stuffed pepper in walnut sauce.

It is technically a chile relleno in that it’s a stuffed pepper!

5 Likes

Sort of a different dish and when it’s done well fabulous. Generally I’m still in simpler gooey cheese camp.

The pomegranate seeds make it pretty and show off Mexican national colors.

I’ve had it with Mexican American friends families Xmas time.

7 Likes

What is it stuffed with?

a ground beef/pork, raisin/fruit and nut mixture i’d say, sorta sweetish

(note: this is not something I would try at home and I personally leave this to friends mothers and grandmas, or a good mexican restaurant)

1 Like

Is picadillo Sweedish? I didn’t know that!
Oh! I see. Sweetish. :blush:

2 Likes