What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Nice dinner!
I’ve been a Cuke fan pretty much all my life, so your salad is whispering to me. :hugs:

1 Like

So, funny story: we were trail walking with our kiddo when I spied a huge clump of orange mushrooms:

Not chanterelle - a false friend called Jack of the Wood. Not exactly poisonous but unpleasant in taste and effect (or so I’ve read). This put us on the alert for mushrooms and we spent the rest of the 2-hr. walk trying to find a real chanterelle and ID the difference. My DH eventually spotted a single one on the forest floor:

Note the more muted orange color and non-gills - more like veiny vasculature compared to the fragile gills of a Jack of the Wood (at left):

Good eatin’ at right.

10 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Grilled sausages from the weekend, gigantor salad of iceberg, endive, shallots, zucchini, toasted almonds, feta, chives, heirloom tom and BC, and extra buttery potatoes with yes, TPSTOB that i tried to broil after boiling and drowning in TPSTOB. Didn’t broil very well, though… but still, butter.

and yesterday at sister’s - the last of the gifted salmon, pan fried, with crispy skin and our perfect interior, over garlicky wilted spinach. TJ’s corn on the cob. sister made a lemony aioli to go on everything.

17 Likes

thanks so much!

1 Like

Fire roasted cauliflower with date, pine nut, chimichurri crumble, lemon brown butter vinaigrette, but with dried cherries from earlier this summer, and cashews because the freezer dive pine nuts tasted off.

14 Likes

@naf; urm…is that one meal? Did you make all of that? It looks amazing!

@Barca Amazing as always. What’s in the first and last picture?

Gi-gan-tor. Gi-gan-AH-ant-tor. Gigantic the space age ro-bot! He’s at your command…

That looks good. TPSTOB for the win!

2 Likes

Weekly Indian meal tonight - today me thanked past me for frozen batch cooking and some leftovers from the weekend. A bit of a mish-mosh meal, but it worked.

Dal, saag (well, garden kale) paneer, paneer matar, sauteed kale stems (I harvested a big bunch today), cauliflower, kheema aloo, kofta curry, pea pulao, coconut rice.

18 Likes

Of course not! A few meals from last week! :yum:

1 Like

That salmon dish looks wonderful! Love the sauce.

1 Like

I love our WFD group. I’ve never foraged, as I haven’t a clue as to what to look for. But we all just had a great visual lesson right here. Now I’ll probably still never forage for 'shrooms, but I enjoyed learning. So thanks, @ChristinaM!

6 Likes

Wow! I don’t think I would have trusted myself - those look soooooo similar!

But I’ve often toyed with idea of taking a class on mushroom foraging. Apparently people even forage in Central Park, who knew.

One of my favorite childhood cartoons. :grin:

2 Likes

thanks!

Our dinner Tuesday demands its backstory be told, so bear with me…

I was approaching my favorite store a bit ago, (Dollar Tree at I-94 and Nine Mile in Eastpointe, MI), and I spotted a sign in the window: Steak Sale Today. I was a bit perplexed. How can a store that sells 99% of its stock for a dollar, have a “sale”?

When I visit Dollar Tree, I always budget myself. This trip was to pick up four boxes of Scotties 148 count tissue, four packs of TP, a few pair of socks (yep, socks!), and a couple of two for $1 greeting cards. I had 12 dollars and the change to cover those purchases. But… There was that Steak Sale… Cruised the freezer cases and saw exactly what was on sale:

A budget buster if ever I saw one.

Bought two. First thing after I got home showed my DW this great find. Got a stink eye look back from her and so put the steaks in the far reaches of the freezer. Somehow they gravitated forward in the freezer. So, I picked, thawed and fast fried them up for dinner.

Would I buy the product again? A resounding “Yes”. But the steak is much more suited for a Steak & Eggs breakfast or a Chopped Cheese Steak Hoagie, then it is for an indulgent dinner.

And the producer is a legit business here in the USA.
https://stampedemeat.com/

7 Likes

Radish kimchi is my favorite!

2 Likes

Wednesday. A lovely evening with our married twin sons … and two daughter in laws.

14 Likes

Simply quite amazingly awesome mushrooms …

Have you done a course on foraging wild mushrooms ?

I read your notations and the photographs are quite beautiful.

Yes, one must be cautious with foraging …

2 Likes