What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

I use dried/dehydrated mushrooms. Sometimes I can find them, sometimes I just do our own. Gives a choice of mushrooms and therefore subtle flavors. Also shelf stable for long periods which is lovely.

3 Likes

Spotted this recipe https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tri-tip-steak-with-tiger-bite-sauce in a recent issue of Bon Appetit and the Tiger Bite sauce caught my eye - all ingredients that I typically have on hand, but an unusual combination of flavors. I made it tonight to go with grilled chicken thighs and stir-fried red cabbage with TJ’s chili lime almonds (which are NOT as good as their chili lime cashews). Sauce was delicious, though I think it would pair better with beef as the original recipe suggests. It would make a terrific dip for chips or sauce for meatballs, too.

PS: the online recipe has a typo - it is missing the juice of two limes in the sauce. I had two large ones so I only used 1.5 and I thought the acidity was spot on. My chiles were a little less hot than the Thai bird chiles called for and the spice level was moderate - I would go spicier next time. Easy to adjust to your own taste.

7 Likes

Tonight was a braised Asian pork made with boneless country style ribs, brown rice, and sautéed garlic broccoli and string beans.

12 Likes

Enfrijoladas - corn tortillas dipped in black bean puree with soyrizo, queso fresco, tomatillo and chipotle salsas from a jar, raw white onion, cilantro.

16 Likes

Chinese has become our Monday routine.

Tonight we had bok choy, peanut tofu, fresh shiitake mushrooms, fried rice, brown rice noodles with onions and bok choy, and salt and pepper fish. I made the rice, noodles, and fish.

The fish was a nice change from what we’ve been eating, and so simple.

16 Likes

Chinese here tonight, too. I made pork and cabbage lo mein and spicy smacked cucumbers. Hit the spot.

15 Likes

@gcaggiano Very sorry for your loss. Cheers to grandma, may her soul rest in peace.
Thanks for sharing some of the best moments with us all along in WFD.

1 Like

@mariacarmen Happy anniversary! Love your onion rings. :yum:

2 Likes

Summer is gone all of a sudden, when 2 weeks ago, it was still 28ºC / 82ºF. Some people in the neighbourhood started switching on the heater already. Too bad for the tomatoes plants, how I wished the warm weather could last 2 more weeks.

Red lentils soup with sobrasada

Smoked herring and mango with citrus vinaigrette

Tartine with pulled rabbit (marinated with white wine and aromatics), tarragon, parsley, scallions, cherry tomatoes, lemon confit and olives.

Mussels cooked in red curry coconut milk with lemongrass and prawn juice. The makrut lime dried out a bit, I tossed the whole fruit to cook with the milk. Delicious with rice.

Spaghetti with smoke herring infused cream, beetroot, pickled and fresh onions, lemon confit and parsley. Not very good looking dish, but yummy.

Ant climbing a tree

Zhajiangmian

Spicy yellow squash.

Braised spicy pork feet

22 Likes

Asked H to buy some goat cream cheese to make dessert, he ended up buying 6 of these fresh goat cheese. My fault, since I didn’t elaborate on the shopping list. I need ideas to use them all in the coming 2 weeks! Any suggestions is welcomed!

Dinner yesterday, pan cooked salmon with crispy skin, stuffed tomato with goat cheese

16 Likes

BF went to the Korean market (HMart) yesterday and brought back some goodies for us to try last night. There were fried baby shrimp (kind of funky in smell and an “interesting” texture/crunch), fried baby crabs which were great and kind of like mini soft shell crabs, seafood-scallion pancakes, and an amazing radish kimchi.

19 Likes

Looks delicious! I love the banchan at H-mart - and everything else there!

Sometimes they have beef tofu patties in the prepared / hot food section near checkout, which are my absolute favorite.

2 Likes

Those are some impressive dinners, @naf!

2 Likes

Could they be used in a small lasagna of sorts? Or perhaps mix them with a prepared or homemade pesto for a pasta sauce?

2 Likes

For your goat cheese ideas:

4 Likes

Never thought of that, or vegetables gratin, layered with cheese. Good idea.

2 Likes

Why not? Quiche looks good. Thx.

1 Like

TUESDAY 29th September … Dinner with our travel writers & tourguides.

13 Likes

I made braised beef cheek with egg noodles and marsala-galzed mushrooms and baby zucchini and creamy cucumber salad. One foraged chanterelle was included. Nice Italian red alongside.

18 Likes

I want to dive into that bowl… do tell more about the foraged chanterelle?

1 Like