What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Surely a wonderful wine collection here …

1 Like

Italian Port wine?

1 Like

We made burgers with locally-ground beef on potato rolls with the works, local COTC, and homegrown kale salad with garlic citronette and Parm Regg. Kiddo even ate some!

17 Likes

Four cheese tortellini, sauteed asparagus, red bell pepper, and the leftover chicken from Saturday’s meal in Maine, all tossed with a garlic-herb cream sauce.

And even though it’s a Monday, it’s the last day of my mini-vacay, so there was wine.

19 Likes

Another summer salad. The days are getting shorter though. Corn, green bean, bell pepper, garden tomato, sweet onion, bacon, goat cheese (added later), with a little lime zest, juice, and evoo. S&P. Hit the spot.

Especially nice to have something fresh after this - ahem - mid afternoon snack.

20 Likes

I defrosted some ground beef, and was fairly uninspired. I had thought about Picadillo but ended up with something more Indian-inspired in its spicing. It was like a Keema, but I added in some diced potatoes and carrots, as well as du puy lentils (that I precooked). Spicing was onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and harissa. It wasn’t terribly pretty to look at (no pics were taken), but it was super tasty served over brown rice. The kiddos devoured it too.

12 Likes

Mmm kheema. Comfort food. I love potatoes in it (somehow they’re always gone first, no matter what proportion of potatoes to meat is used…)

1 Like

Cheesy tomatoes from Food 52’s Big Little Recipes. Super simple. I used pita, added a little sliced deli ham and oregano, but basically it’s tomatoes & cheese. I used Colby Jack. Very cheesy and juicy. I’d try it with pasta or rice sometime, and the BF suggested it would be good with garlic toast. Salad on the side. Super easy dinner for a Monday night.

14 Likes

My tummy has still not recovered from unsoaked black beans on Saturday… sigh. So, I’ve been eating scantily since (I partook of soup and rice from last night’s Chinese banquet).

Tonight we had indian food, but I made my usual tummy-off comfort food - potatoes and rice. Tonight’s potatoes were in a thin tomato gravy.

Others had leftover spinach chicken, dal of two varieties, paneer with peas, spinach and (home grown) kale with paneer, chapatis (frozen) and rice.

Here’s my comfort mush.

14 Likes

Those rolls are drool-worthy!

:slight_smile: I don’t think we will have any trouble finishing the dozen this morning.
Funny, I personally find the salad pic more appealing. While I do enjoy my desserts on the regular, when given a choice I’m much more often a savory girl. Breakfast comes to mind. Always eggs rather than pancakes when out…

4 Likes

Dinner last night was scalloped potatoes with mushrooms and diced ham. Single casserole dinner not including salad. Also not including the minor protein contribution of my sacrifice to the god of mandolins. sigh Bad Dave.

Rule 1. Don’t do dumb things.
Rule 2. If you break rule 1 don’t do it again.
Rule 3. If you do it again, see rule 1.

It’s a Fortran Do loop. I won’t tell you how many times I’ve been around. It doesn’t make things any better that I have a hand guard AND cut proof gloves I wasn’t using. My typing speed is WAY down today.

6 Likes

Nominations thread for FALL Cuisine of the Quarter is up! Sourdough is so March 2020…let’s set a new trend! Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

2 Likes

Well I hope you recover the use of all your fingers quickly. Ouch, no fun.

H refuses to use our mandolin…@Auspicious

2 Likes

Oporto, Portugal is the most famous designation of origen for Port Wines; however, Sardinia and Sicilia are also large growers of their own amazing Port Wines.

2 Likes

Ouuchhh. I hope that your hand heals quickly.

1 Like

What are they called in Italian?

I made a Thai Penang curry with tofu, garden butternut squash and carrots, corn, and onions. Over rice with some lousy TJ’s chicken shumai (mostly for the kiddo who typically eschews rice :roll_eyes:).

16 Likes

Tsardusted pork chop with cider syrup drizzle, roasted baby yellow potatoes, and green beans. And there was wine. Don’t care that it’s only Tuesday.

16 Likes

Not a lot of interesting cooking going on here lately, but I have been doing some preserving and stocking of the freezer! My elderberry bushes yielded about 6 lbs of berries this year, so I made some jelly, jam and froze enough for a pie. My last basil harvest gave me over a pound of leaves, which I turned into six cups of pesto for the freezer, and I happened to have a few out of control mint plants that I trimmed at the same time for four cups of mint pesto. Piment d’esplette and Szegdi peppers are drying in the oven for eventual grinding.

Anyway, I did manage to make a decent meal tonight - flank steak sous vided to 130 and then seared, with parmesan sauteed broccoli, pan roasted cherry tomatoes, ricotta and pesto. A few degrees cooler and I’ll be ready to braise!

6 Likes