What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Taco salad night. DIY. No avo in the house sadly. But we don’t generally do sour cream and cheese, so this is all the bells and whistles.

14 Likes

Taco Tuesday. Served with a lime and cilantro cole slaw, grilled spring onions, lime crema, and guac. Mr Bean and The Sprout didn’t know if we had tortillas but were sure we didn’t have blue corn. Now we do.

15 Likes

gorgeous. what kind of protein is that?

made tomato sauce with canned crushed tomatoes and bits of squishy pieces of toms we had leftover. sauteed garlic & anchovies, tomato paste, RPF, little red wine, a bit of sugar. Simmered for about 2 hours, then added butter and a half a peeled onion, ala Marcela, and simmered for another couple hours. REALLY GOOD. Added cooked radiatore pasta, browned Calabrian sausage, and diced zucchini (cuz we had it.) Into a casserole, sprinkled with brined feta and parm regg, and topped with fresh mozz. Into the oven for about 1/2 hour. Salad of red leaf, endive, shallots, toms, pepperoncini, feta, and olives. Garlic toast on rosemary rolls.

16 Likes

Thank you. It’s Fluke, aka Summer Flounder. It’s a very common catch here off the NJ coast. I usually have pounds of it in my freezer. I marinated this batch with lime juice, ground chipotles and ancho chiles, cumin, garlic, and then grilled the fish lightly.

7 Likes

Well, since all of you are my “foodie family”, I figured I would share that my grandma passed away on Monday morning in the hospital after a brief illness. As it pertains to food, she was an Italian grandmother which meant she loved to cook, eat, and feed people. That always meant a constant pestering of “Have more!” regardless of how stuffed you were. She was two weeks shy of her 92nd birthday and lived on her own and cooked for herself until entering the hospital. I always considered her ahead of her time in regards to food. My mom remembered my grandma wanting to try Mexican food when she was a child, which would not have been a popular or established food back then like it is now. She also loved Indian food, cooked curry on occasion, and loved trying new things. She also LOVED restaurants (who doesn’t in my family?) and I will always appreciate how well she got along with my BF. Whenever he cooked Italian food (he is Spanish), he would always save her some for my mom to bring to her, and my grandma always said his cooking was better than hers!

Between a good friend passing a few weeks ago and this, it has been an incredibly difficult month in an awful year (for most people). She lived a wonderful and full life and that is what I will try to focus on as we celebrate her life.

As it happens, my BF made lasagna last night after years of trying to convince me to try his (I don’t like lasagna…AT ALL). It was very good, and I couldn’t help but think how much she would have enjoyed it.

Peace and love to everyone here. Visiting HO is one of my daily joys.

20 Likes

@gcaggiano Whenever Onions allow a glimpse into their personal lives, it reminds me why I value this community. We all need that so badly these days. Cheers to your grandma!

6 Likes

@gcaggiano, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved grandmother.

From what you have shared here, the two of you brought such joy to each other. May that joy shine forever in your memories. Think of her especially when you enjoy a good meal (that is one way I honor my own grandparents, now gone).

Peace and light to you and your family.

6 Likes

My sincere condolences. As if this year has not been awful enough.

Ditto.

4 Likes

It’s good to hear that she hadn’t developed dementia or suffered for a long time.

1 Like

My condolences on the loss of your grandma. My wife’s family is very Italian and it is in the spirit of their attitude toward food that I offer this image in memory of your grandma:

8 Likes

I am so so sorry for you - such a sad loss. She sounds like an amazing person.

1 Like

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family, @gcaggiano Greg. I loved reading about your grandma and her enjoyment of cooking and that she lived on her own prior to entering the hospital. Sounds like she lived a very full life full of love and good food. :heart:

4 Likes

@gcaggiano, She must have been incredibly proud to watch you develop into a food loving writer and historian! Peace to you and your family.:pray:

6 Likes

No age is a good age to pass on. :pensive:

My sincere condolences to you, @gcaggiano, and your family.

6 Likes

Greg- I am saddened by all you have been through recently. To lose two people so close to you is tragic. We’re all on your side and hope our condolences bring comfort to you.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss - but what a wonderful life to celebrate! That you will think of her at many delicious meals to come is a comfort, I hope.

1 Like

So sorry you lost your grandmother. She sounds like she was an adventurous and progressive lady. You’ll raise your glass and fork to her at every meal.

Be good to yourself in the next few weeks/months; I think people are having a tough time grieving over very personal losses like these when it seems like there are so many additional things to grieve in these times. xoxo

5 Likes

Very quick BLT using turkey bacon, spinach, tomato, kewpie mayo on a toasted potato roll.

What is your best tip for cooking turkey bacon to avoid that leather texture? I cooked the package in the oven on 300* and it was still drier than I like. help.

3 Likes

Homemade ham and white bean soup.

14 Likes